Sponsored by:

72 Project: Front End Damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 04:00 AM
Cardinal2948
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 72 Project: Front End Damage

Hey guys! I just got started on this site and boy do I have a lot to explore for the next few days.

Lets get to the point of this thread.
So I'm picking up a 72 350/Auto car. Here's what I can piece so far off what I see and what the current owner is telling me. It took some damage somehow to the lower front of the car and for some reason, the owner at the time (who owned a body shop) decided he wanted to start parting it out. As he started taking the car apart and starting getting rid of the paint, he noticed/decided the car wasn't in too bad of shape after all. There is also no damage to anything mechanical or to the frame. He then sold it to the current owner who always liked Corvettes but never got around to this one due to having a bunch of other projects that had higher priority. It sat indoors for at least a decade or 2. I saw the ad on craigslist for it and it seemed too good to be true, so I went and checked it out. All the parts are either still on it or in boxes. Everything looks great except for the previously mentioned front end. I'm pretty sure this isn't normal, but hey, I'm a rookie. Who knows.

The lower front end looks like to me that somebody broke it off by hitting a curb or small animal of some sort. I didn't have much room to take some quality pictures, but hopefully by the end of this weekend or Monday I'll have some better ones up. That brings me to these questions. How much of a pain in the *** is this going to be in terms of getting it fixed or finding the specific part? What is exactly missing?

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Its just been kind of bugging me since I can't figure it out.
Attached Images   
Old 01-13-2018, 05:58 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Congrats on the 72. My advice would be to purchase the 72 assembly instruction manual (AIM). The AIM will help getting your car back together. If you do not have a 72 owner's manual, order one when you order the AIM.

Good photo reference here.

Also helpful for background information.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:58 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Looks a LOT better than what I started with on my 71 coupe! So, what all is missing? Just the lower valence? Do you have the grills-- bumper guards-- bumper-- corner bumper brackets-- side marker lights-- air dam-- that appear to be missing in the photos?
If it`s just fiberglass damage, you can get a lower valence and patch it in. Myself, I`d be more worried about it sitting in storage for "a decade or two". This, to me, would signal a LOT of time and money.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:10 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Here's a picture "pre cleaning" of my '72, of the entire front in one shot. Take a close look at things like the grinds marks still in the panels, the runs in the paint and the overall rough condition of the body "below the waste line".

Things like this, on original cars, illustrate how the workers did their respective jobs. It amazes me that people would accept cars built to this degree, (this low degree) of craftsmanship. But that how things were then, and I just love learning this, about these cars.

I have a ton of pictures, if you need some throughout your restoration if you need, just ask here!

Last edited by Don Rickles; 01-13-2018 at 09:31 AM. Reason: punc.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:43 AM
Cardinal2948
6th Gear

Originally Posted by War Bonnet
Here's a picture "pre cleaning" of my '72, of the entire front in one shot. Take a close look at things like the grinds marks still in the panels, the runs in the paint and the overall rough condition of the body "below the waste line".

Things like this, on original cars, illustrate how the workers did their respective jobs. It amazes me that people would accept cars built to this degree, (this low degree) of craftsmanship. But that how things were then, and I just love learning this, about these cars.

I have a ton of pictures, if you need some throughout your restoration if you need, just ask here!

This is a perfect photo that definitely relieves some of my worries about what's missing. Thank you for the help! I'll keep in touch.
​​​​​​
Old 01-19-2018, 01:45 AM
Cardinal2948
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Congrats on the 72. My advice would be to purchase the 72 assembly instruction manual (AIM). The AIM will help getting your car back together. If you do not have a 72 owner's manual, order one when you order the AIM.

Good photo reference here.

Also helpful for background information.

Sweet! I'll get right on this.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:51 AM
Cardinal2948
6th Gear

Originally Posted by oldgto
Looks a LOT better than what I started with on my 71 coupe! So, what all is missing? Just the lower valence? Do you have the grills-- bumper guards-- bumper-- corner bumper brackets-- side marker lights-- air dam-- that appear to be missing in the photos?
If it`s just fiberglass damage, you can get a lower valence and patch it in. Myself, I`d be more worried about it sitting in storage for "a decade or two". This, to me, would signal a LOT of time and money.
Got any before shots of yours? Would love to see it! Lower valance and dam are missing, grills, bumper and lights are in a box. I'm happy that it was stored indoors due to it being protected from the elements. The frame, suspension, and floors look near perfect and rust free.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:12 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardinal2948
How much of a pain in the *** is this going to be in terms of getting it fixed or finding the specific part? What is exactly missing?
Based on the limited view of the pictures you posted I would say this will be an easy fix and any part you need is available.

I have a similar looking front end on my 71 but unfortunately for me there is more damage on other parts of the front end that make it too labor intensive to fix correctly. A complete PM front end is about $4,300 which is what I'm facing.

Post up some better pictures of the whole front end from all sides and we can better help you decide what you're dealing with.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:12 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardinal2948
Got any before shots of yours? Would love to see it!
This is what it looked like when we bought it. Like yours, it was only fiberglass damage. None of the braces or brackets were bent, radiator not punctured. But it`s a numbers matching with a rust free frame, and only a little rust in the upper windshield frame. We`re the 3rd owner.

Originally Posted by Mr D.
A complete PM front end is about $4,300 which is what I'm facing.
We were lucky enough to find a complete original front clip locally, with inner fender wells, re-chromed bumper, egg crates, powder coated grills, new braces & brackets for $3500.... but I did have to fix the "rivet bumps".

Get notified of new replies

To 72 Project: Front End Damage

Quick Reply: 72 Project: Front End Damage