Fan Clutch Question 74 BB; 454; with AC; manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 10:52 AM
laurieonthego
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fan Clutch Question 74 BB; 454; with AC; manual transmission

Hi Guys -

I'm trying to locate a picture of the original correct fan clutch for my 74 454 A/C Manual transmission car. Anyone have an original 74; 454 with AC car that maybe I could talk to about what this fan clutch looks like? I have read that the clutches have a thermal coil in the front - but I see many types of these with the coiled element, there are many different "faces" with the thermal coil - - so a pic would really help. Starting in July of 73 the clutches changed from the rectangular element with a dog bowl type shape, to the coiled element. I think the fan clutch on the A/C cars had an AX stamp and the one that goes on my car is made by Eaton. The correct original part number is 343721.

I know GM has superseded the part with another part that they still make (GM 88961768), however, it has the 8 hole mounting shaft and I'm looking for the original four hole fan clutch. None of the fan clutches I have seen have part numbers on them--sometimes the AX ink stamp is seen. I have the original radiator and NOS fan blade...just need to figure this fan clutch out.

As Always, Thanks in advance for the help everyone! Laurie
Old 03-09-2018, 10:31 PM
laurieonthego
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I just wanted to thank everyone that has attempted to help me locate an original fan clutch. I am happy to say that I located an original Eaton with the 4 hole mounting with a beautiful AX stamp, as well as a brand new NOS fan!!! Sometimes we just get lucky! Just wanted to say I appreciate everyone trying to help me...

Quick Reply: Fan Clutch Question 74 BB; 454; with AC; manual transmission