Sponsored by:

C3 long drives

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 10:55 AM
VirginiaVette78
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNHarris88
i have a 77 corvette and heard they are not made for long freeway drives, I have also heard they are fine for the freeway. My 77 has a 4 speed transmission, brand new engine, along with new water pump, and new alternator. Are these 77’s with 4 speeds not cut out for 10 hour drives at 75mph? Are they made to cruise at 55mph?
Incase all of the other testimonies are not enough for you.. take this for what it is worth. Every year I do an event called The Great Race. It is a cross-country race over the course of 9 days (Last year we went from Jacksonville, FL up to Traverse City, MI).. I think we had 4 Vettes last year (one doesnt count, it was basically a brand new Vette on a old 50s frame)... Every single one of them crossed the finish line. In fact, that was one of the few vehicles I did not see getting wrenched on every night (we did at least something to the '68 Mustang or the '28 Model A Speedster every night so we got to know the other cars)

Take your beast out of the garage and show her the back country roads!
Old 01-23-2018, 11:25 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

I would take my 72 on a long trip any day. It's basically a new car. Every thing is new on it from the front to the back.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:10 AM
shenango
Racer

Received 361 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
I have little interest in interstate driving. First of all, it extremely boring. If I went to California from Pennsylvania, it would be on back roads. Its same on my Harley....no interest in interstate....that's not where the fun is. If you have to go somewhere fast, you should fly the airlines. So, I am lucky, my style of driving fits perfectly with a classic C3 Corvette.

You people do realize the carnage going on everywhere on interstate highways.....try this next time you are driving, start watching for skid marks crossing the roads, paint marks on barriers, and burn marks from fires. When you start looking for them, you will see them everywhere. We have come to the place in America that driving cars 80-100 mph on highways is commonplace,.....that by no means says that it is safe to do so, and the horrific accidents occurring all the time are a result of it. Until you experience it yourself, or witness, you all can remain naïve.

Our C3 Corvettes are way behind when it comes to safety, and I for one am avoiding interstates and turnpikes, and minivans with moms......because none of them have any clue of the carnage right awaiting them.....until there precious little child is crushed because they thing they are Jeff Gordon.
Last Summer I had the misfortune to drive from my home near Erie to Pittsburgh on a daily basis. I 79 and I 279 into the city. If I drove the posted speed limit of 70 I stood the chance of being run over. Normal speed, even in the rain, was 75 in the monford and 80+ in the hammer lane. The most ill-mannered, and dangerous people on the trip were the soccer moms in an SUV or minni van. As anyone driving into the Burg knows Summer can be renamed "road construction" and no one would argue the change. Most construction zones are 45 mph but the normal speed is 65 mph or 5 mph depending on the time of day. Either way if you don't stay with the prevailing speed you will get run down.
When I have the Vette out back roads or at the most 2 lane 55 mph state roads are on the agenda. I live 2 miles from I79 and it is the quick way to Erie or the Shenango Valley but no thank you, I'll take the long way.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:17 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I will make one comment about this idea that if you drive the speed limit on interstates you will get run over....well, I typically will do 5 mph over the speed limit in my DD, and as far as I am concerned anyone who doesn't like it can pass me, and I really don't care. Nobody has ever, and I doubt will ever, run me over. So, I call B.S. When in the Corvette, I will drive the speed limit....and again...pass me if you don't like it. I really don't care.

BUT,.....the real joy is driving the back roads of America, and that is where I put on most of my miles, in the Vette and the Harley.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 01-24-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:05 PM
sgtwallydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a c3 75 with 355 rear end and a r4 trans. 18 mpg easy at 2k rpm avg 600 miles easy if you had to. whats the fekkin problem. its a fiberglass body tank at 3800 lbs <with the spare.> MAN! drive it! it is a chevy!
Old 01-27-2018, 12:20 PM
Mineolajoe
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mortgageguy
Salesmen didn't caution us about long trips when we bought them new back in the 70's. My parents drove mid 50's cars to the beach when I was a kid. My great grand pappy drove a horse and buggy 100 miles. Geez. If your DD can't get you to work, you'd repair it. If your week-ender can't get you 100 miles, you should repair it.
I wouldn't be overly concerned about taking my '70 L46 4sp on a long trip. Back in college and through my early 20s I drove my C1 and later my C2 on many long trips. C3s are analog cars too so if something breaks they can be easily repaired by someone with basic mechanical skills.

My car has the original spare so "if" I took a long trip I might replace it with a newer one. I say "if" because there are reasons other than reliability for not taking it on a road trip. It's rough riding, noisy, consumes large quantities of gas (preferably ethanol free), the AC does not offer much benefit at temps above 85° and there is very limited room for luggage. It has a luggage rack but I've never seen anyone carry anything on one since Todd and Buzz traveled route 66.

Having said all that, my wife and I are taking our C5 on a road trip from east Texas to Bowling Green, St. Luis, Eureka Springs and back home. The only item not bettering the C3 for travelling is lack of a spare tire. That's where Hagerty's road side assistance and a cell phone come in.

Would the '70 make the trip okay? Sure! But when you're in your 60s a little extra comfort is much appreciated.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:23 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by VirginiaVette78
Incase all of the other testimonies are not enough for you.. take this for what it is worth. Every year I do an event called The Great Race. It is a cross-country race over the course of 9 days (Last year we went from Jacksonville, FL up to Traverse City, MI).. I think we had 4 Vettes last year (one doesnt count, it was basically a brand new Vette on a old 50s frame)... Every single one of them crossed the finish line. In fact, that was one of the few vehicles I did not see getting wrenched on every night (we did at least something to the '68 Mustang or the '28 Model A Speedster every night so we got to know the other cars)

Take your beast out of the garage and show her the back country roads!
Are you going again this year? The race ends in my neck of the woods - Halifax, NS.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:39 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by sgtwallydog
I have a c3 75 with 355 rear end and a r4 trans. 18 mpg easy at 2k rpm avg 600 miles easy if you had to. whats the fekkin problem. its a fiberglass body tank at 3800 lbs <with the spare.> MAN! drive it! it is a chevy!

Participate in life dont spectate
Its just a car guys not some rare diamond
The following users liked this post:
resdoggie (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 12:12 PM
Tom69
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 249 Likes on 110 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
I will make one comment about this idea that if you drive the speed limit on interstates you will get run over....well, I typically will do 5 mph over the speed limit in my DD, and as far as I am concerned anyone who doesn't like it can pass me, and I really don't care. Nobody has ever, and I doubt will ever, run me over. So, I call B.S. When in the Corvette, I will drive the speed limit....and again...pass me if you don't like it. I really don't care.

BUT,.....the real joy is driving the back roads of America, and that is where I put on most of my miles, in the Vette and the Harley.

I just completed the entire Route 66 journey last summer in our C3. On the freeways I stuck to 70-75 mph and let the well wishers pass me. Most realize you are driving a vintage well kept car. I don't recall anyone flicking me off for not driving the limit plus 20!

Regards,
Tom69
Old 01-29-2018, 02:31 PM
VirginiaVette78
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Are you going again this year? The race ends in my neck of the woods - Halifax, NS.
Yeah I am going again this year - we will have a few different rides. Ill be in the '68 Mustang, partner car of a '28 Model A Speedster, and a rescue vehicle of a '46 Jeep. You should definitely come out to the finish! Its always a HUGE show and a great time! Im actually going to stay a couple of extra nights in Nova Scotia because I have never been.

Quick Reply: C3 long drives