Sponsored by:

Question on voltage - start vs run

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 08:06 PM
DAC516
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Question on voltage - start vs run

I have a 1969 L46 350 with a 4 spd. I bought the car in non-running condition and trying to get it back on the road. I have the original points distributor and would like to upgrade to HEI. I bought an HEI distributor from Skip White Performance (https://www.skipwhiteperformance.com...6515-bk_83450/). I ran a new wire from the IGN terminal on the fuse box to the BAT terminal on the distributor. I disconnected the wire from the starter. I taped up the wire that was on the coil side. I removed the old coil and the ballast resistor. The problem is I have very weak spark. With the ignition switch in the RUN position, I have 12 volts at the BAT terminal. When in the START position with the starter engaged, it drops to 9.5-10 volts, which I believe is not enough for the HEI. This is across the entire system. Even taking a measurement at the alternator, it drops to 9.5-10 volts. What am I missing? How do I get 12 volts to the HEI when the starter is engaged? Perhaps the starter has a short in it?
Thanks,
David
Old 01-29-2018, 07:05 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by DAC516
I have a 1969 L46 350 with a 4 spd. I bought the car in non-running condition and trying to get it back on the road. I have the original points distributor and would like to upgrade to HEI. I bought an HEI distributor from Skip White Performance (https://www.skipwhiteperformance.com...6515-bk_83450/). I ran a new wire from the IGN terminal on the fuse box to the BAT terminal on the distributor. I disconnected the wire from the starter. I taped up the wire that was on the coil side. I removed the old coil and the ballast resistor. The problem is I have very weak spark. With the ignition switch in the RUN position, I have 12 volts at the BAT terminal. When in the START position with the starter engaged, it drops to 9.5-10 volts, which I believe is not enough for the HEI. This is across the entire system. Even taking a measurement at the alternator, it drops to 9.5-10 volts. What am I missing? How do I get 12 volts to the HEI when the starter is engaged? Perhaps the starter has a short in it?
Thanks,
David
A few items:

1) How do you know your spark is "very weak"?

2) What size/age is your battery? Cranking an engine is naturally going to drop the battery/system voltage due to all the current being drawn by the starter.

3) A genuine HEI is designed to operate down to 6 volts (I have no idea what the Chinese ripoffs work down to.). The spark output should still be fine during cranking at 9.5-10 volts.
The following users liked this post:
DAC516 (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 10:21 AM
DAC516
Advanced

Originally Posted by 69427
A few items:

1) How do you know your spark is "very weak"?

I pulled #1 cylinder spark plug and let it rest on a ground. I watched the plug as someone else cranked the engine. I also tried a Lisle induction spark tester, but it showed no spark.

2) What size/age is your battery? Cranking an engine is naturally going to drop the battery/system voltage due to all the current being drawn by the starter.

New Interstate battery from Costco in November. I still have the original battery cables. Do battery cables go bad?

3) A genuine HEI is designed to operate down to 6 volts (I have no idea what the Chinese ripoffs work down to.). The spark output should still be fine during cranking at 9.5-10 volts.
Thanks for the comments!
Old 01-30-2018, 10:42 AM
pthor
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have recently had to tackle this when I installed my New MSD system on my new rebuilt motor.
I don't know all the technicals but my old positive coil wire that produces 12 volts when the key is on is powering my MSD system fine at this point. I don't know if the voltage drops since it starts in my motor fine I haven't bothered to get into that.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:06 AM
ENCSDOUG
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I just installed a new Hei/Msd distributer after running one that came with the stroker motor. I have no issues. I agree with 69427. How old is your battery/size? What are the readings while the motor is running on the alternator verse the start reading from the battery?
The following users liked this post:
DAC516 (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 11:09 AM
DAC516
Advanced

Originally Posted by ENCSDOUG
I just installed a new Hei/Msd distributer after running one that came with the stroker motor. I have no issues. I agree with 69427.

How old is your battery/size?

What are the readings while the motor is running on the alternator verse the start reading from the battery?
How old is your battery/size? 2 month old Interstate battery

What are the readings while the motor is running on the alternator verse the start reading from the battery?

I haven't been able to start the engine yet.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:37 AM
ENCSDOUG
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by DAC516
How old is your battery/size? 2 month old Interstate battery

I haven't been able to start the engine yet.
During start, you should have 12v and will drop during start. Once the motor is running, you should have at least 13v to your battery which means your alternator is recharging your battery.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:31 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

That kind of voltage drop during starter engagement would be normal and should not affect the HEI to a degree that would prevent starting.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:51 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,479 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Understand you have a HEI but;

On a 69 with stock unmolested wiring you will have less than 12V in the run position and 12V (or what the Batt is holding) in the start position.

Also you have two wires going to the coil 1) run voltage & 2) start voltage both are powered independently via the ignition switch.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:58 AM
DAC516
Advanced

Just as an update on this thread, I received a replacement HEI distributor under warranty. With the new distributor installed, the engine fired right up. So, all is well.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:53 PM
pigfarmer
Burning Brakes

Received 295 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Understand you have a HEI but;

On a 69 with stock unmolested wiring you will have less than 12V in the run position and 12V (or what the Batt is holding) in the start position.

Also you have two wires going to the coil 1) run voltage & 2) start voltage both are powered independently via the ignition switch.
A bit late but yup, just measured it recently. Two wires. 12v at start, about 9v to run. I only looked at it because I replaced a Holley electric choke and the directions specifically said not to pick up voltage at the coil for that reason.

Last edited by pigfarmer; 02-12-2018 at 12:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on voltage - start vs run

Quick Reply: Question on voltage - start vs run