Replacing Foam Cushions in a 1970

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 06:06 PM
jdk541
Safety Car

Received 606 Likes on 291 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22-'23

Default Replacing Foam Cushions in a 1970

Has anyone here replaced the foam cushions in a 1970ish C-3 that could offer up some tips and tricks? Anything you learned that made the job easier or any got-cha's that you which you knew before you tackled the job?

Thank you in advance for the insight / advice.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:32 PM
NONN37
Melting Slicks

Received 239 Likes on 198 Posts

These videos are good to see what to expect.

You have to use new covers The old leather seams will rip apart trying to stretch over the new foam. I used a new wire and clips kit to install mine. Otherwise be careful to remove all the wires without damaging them for re-use.

The bottom seat retaining clips that go around the lower edge are sort of confusing try to take note of how they are attached and the spacing.

The following 2 users liked this post by NONN37:
jdk541 (02-06-2018), oldgto (02-06-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 07:48 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

the new foam makes the seat height higher than when they were old, so if you have problems fitting under the steering wheel, don't add new foam, its like adding 40 lbs to your self!!!
The following users liked this post:
jdk541 (02-06-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 10:45 PM
Tbone4432
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default DIY?...think twice.

I just had someone redo my seats redone, covers and new foam, and didn't regret it. Money well spent and no aggravation for me.
It was strongly recommended to buy new foam with the new seat covers, otherwise, the new covers would sag over the worn foam. I'm 6'4" and that is not what I wanted to hear, but I did it anyway.
I guess try it yourself, buy new covers with the foam. Now that I remember, expect to replace worn or broken hardware. Just have someone experienced do it. Good luck.
jdk541 (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 05:54 AM
jdk541
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '22-'23

Gentlemen, thank you for the great replies. I truly appreciate the time you took to help.

Follow-up question for Tbone. Do you mind me asking the approximate cost to have a professional shop do the work.

Thanks again. You guys rock.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:23 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 213 Posts

Have someone do it. I tried to redo my seat foam and ripped the upper cushion installing it. Big fiasco, cost me more in the long run. At least have the up[pers done.
jdk541 (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 07:24 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi jdk,
I replaced the seat covers on the seats for my 71.
I viewed the video from Al Knock several times before beginning and found it helpful.
It takes time and some WORK but can be accomplished by someone doing it for the first time. It does take some patience!
I spent about one day on each seat.
I found doing the first one took a little longer than the second.
I also found that leaving the second cover in place while doing the first gives you something to refer to while working on the first cover.
I actually did each cover twice. I didn't replace the bottom foam bolsters the first time but then decided to change the bottom bolsters and add some additional foam on the original seat backs.
It's one of those things that can give a sense of accomplishment when you do it.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 02-06-2018 at 07:25 AM.
jdk541 (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 07:26 AM
jdk541
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '22-'23

Damn Alan, that looks amazing. Nice job.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:14 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi jdk,
Thanks!
If I can do that....you can too!
It takes only time and patience!!!!!
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-06-2018, 05:31 PM
qball
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
Have someone do it. I tried to redo my seat foam and ripped the upper cushion installing it. Big fiasco, cost me more in the long run. At least have the up[pers done.
In process of doing this on my 71, the bottoms seat cushions came out perfect, the tops are undoable in my mind, I was on the verge of
Ripping the new skins on install, either the new foam is to thick or the skins are cut small. I’m bringing the tops to a pro upholstery shop this week, if they can do it with out alterations more power to them.
jdk541 (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 05:34 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

1 trick is to install plastic bags over foam, then slide on the covers.
jdk541 (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 06:16 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Vett
1 trick is to install plastic bags over foam, then slide on the covers.
Once the plastic is on the foam under the covers, are you aware of the plastic being there? Any noise from the plastic? If you have personally done this, what kind of plastic did you use?
Old 02-09-2018, 04:36 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

I have done 2 sets myself and what I did on the last helped me a lot. I Ripped my first set trying to roll the top over the back. Second go around I put the cover on the frame and front custom first and then worked the upper back cushion in by hand with baby powder to help slide. Worked great fro me.
oldgto (05-09-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 08:30 AM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After looking at the process, and noting that the drivers seat cover needed repairs, I found a great upholstery shop and they wrestled with it. Around $300 for complete job and, as mentioned before, the seat will be raised appx 2 inches.. I furnished the cushions and new clips..
Old 03-18-2018, 11:42 AM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Good Morning All. When JDK541 started this thread, he did so with the intention of helping me to prepare for my cushion upgrade. Yesterday, I started the process. My seat covers are in very good shape and appear to be the originals.

After ordering and receiving the new cushions and hardware kit, I started by removing and disassembling the passenger seat. From there, I decided to start with the seat bottom, as opposed to the back. Once the old cushions were removed from the seat bottom, it was very obvious the new cushions had more volume, which made sense since the originals are so old. Following the Corvette America seat installation video instructions, I went so far as to attach the new cushion to the seat cover, and attached all of that to the original seat frame. This is the point at which I find myself now.

Looking at the cover on the cushion, I'm asking for opinions on whether I should go any further, as it appears to me that it will be very difficult to stretch the original covers enough to span the foam. Also, note the blue tape in one picture in relation to the hole in the cover for the seat back hinge... The line on the blue tape indicates where the receiving hole in the seat frame lines up. The cushion will need to stretch that far for the holes to align.

I'm thinking that between heating the covers and possibly using large clamps and wood to compress the foam, I may be able to do it, but again, those of you with experience may see that I'm in for trouble and should go a different route. I suppose in the end, I could keep the original covers and cushions for a future sale and purchase new seat covers now, although I really would rather not do that.

Looking forward to your input.

Last edited by ZRXGreen; 03-18-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:09 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

That really does not look too bad. Even the new covers will require some " man handling " to stretch tight. Put your weight on the frame , compressing the foam as much as possible. Looks like it will work to me from you pix.
ZRXGreen (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 12:18 PM
qball
Burning Brakes

Default ZRX Green

Originally Posted by ZRXGreen
Good Morning All. When JDK541 started this thread, he did so with the intention of helping me to prepare for my cushion upgrade. Yesterday, I started the process. My seat covers are in very good shape and appear to be the originals.

After ordering and receiving the new cushions and hardware kit, I started by removing and disassembling the passenger seat. From there, I decided to start with the seat bottom, as opposed to the back. Once the old cushions were removed from the seat bottom, it was very obvious the new cushions had more volume, which made sense since the originals are so old. Following the Corvette America seat installation video instructions, I went so far as to attach the new cushion to the seat cover, and attached all of that to the original seat frame. This is the point at which I find myself now.

Looking at the cover on the cushion, I'm asking for opinions on whether I should go any further, as it appears to me that it will be very difficult to stretch the original covers enough to span the foam. Also, note the blue tape in one picture in relation to the hole in the cover for the seat back hinge... The line on the blue tape indicates where the receiving hole in the seat frame lines up. The cushion will need to stretch that far for the holes to align.

I'm thinking that between heating the covers and possibly using large clamps and wood to compress the foam, I may be able to do it, but again, those of you with experience may see that I'm in for trouble and should go a different route. I suppose in the end, I could keep the original covers and cushions for a future sale and purchase new seat covers now, although I really would rather not do that.

Looking forward to your input.

I was at the same stage you are in now, I trimmed about a half inch of
The new foam on the sides that rose above the frame, then with the seat
Bottom up on the floor knelt on the the frame compressing the foam enough to attach the covers to it.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Foam Cushions in a 1970

Old 03-18-2018, 12:46 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

qball, how did you trim the foam and keep it all even?
Old 03-18-2018, 01:10 PM
qball
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZRXGreen
qball, how did you trim the foam and keep it all even?
I just trimmed the foam edge that rose above the frame with a pair of scissors, this made it easier for me to attach the clips that held the covers to the frame.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:13 PM
ZRXGreen
Racer

Originally Posted by qball
I just trimmed the foam edge that rose above the frame with a pair of scissors, this made it easier for me to attach the clips that held the covers to the frame.
Got it--that makes sense. Thanks. Also, once you had your weight on it, did you start with the front seat clips or the rear? Side clips were last?

Last edited by ZRXGreen; 03-18-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Replacing Foam Cushions in a 1970