Sponsored by:

C3 horn button

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 04:59 PM
Stev-o
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts
Default C3 horn button

Replaced the aftermarket steering wheel and have a question: how do you put the button back on and get the flag orientation correct? If I just pop it on, the horn will not work.
If I rotate it a quarter turn, push it on and rotate a little, the horn works but flags are offset to the side.

Could the mount be off? I've only had the car a couple months and just replaced the steering wheel, but it was like that before with the old wheel.
The horn works as it is now but does not seem right to me...

]
Old 03-05-2018, 05:07 PM
wil4aim
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stev-o
Replaced the aftermarket steering wheel and have a question: how do you put the button back on and get the flag orientation correct? If I just pop it on, the horn will not work.
If I rotate it a quarter turn, push it on and rotate a little, the horn works but flags are offset to the side.

Could the mount be off? I've only had the car a couple months and just replaced the steering wheel, but it was like that before with the old wheel.
The horn works as it is now but does not seem right to me...

]
The center is a stick on emblem that can be removed replaced, carefully. And if you wreck the emblem you can purchase a new one.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:16 PM
Stev-o
Drifting

Originally Posted by wil4aim
The center is a stick on emblem that can be removed replaced, carefully. And if you wreck the emblem you can purchase a new one.
Mine does not appear to be a "sticker" looks and feels like clear acrylic. Can you provide more info? BTW - it's a '70 Non T/T.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2018, 09:09 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

Looks like your center is 1/3 off.......unloosen it, turn it, and align it.

See pic.......

Old 03-05-2018, 09:28 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

It shouldn't matter how you install the horn button on the upper contact, the issue might be the upper contact. The upper contact will only install one way because of the lower contact in relation to the stand on the upper contact making contact with the lower.

It could also be an issue with the button shims... There are shims that go below the upper contact the help move the button away from the tilt tele lever or the upper column.

So... you might want to take the upper contact apart and clean it. It's held together with three plastic rivets that you can drive the center of out of. Once you do this you clean the upper and lower sections, and then re-assemble it.

The new upper contacts being sold are junk... I find myself constantly using the new contacts to remove parts and repair the old original contacts with..

So here are some pictures..

Horn contact rivets that you can drive out to repair.

Lower contact

How the lower contact installs.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:34 PM
Stev-o
Drifting

Originally Posted by C3 Stroker
Looks like your center is 1/3 off.......unloosen it, turn it, and align it.

See pic.......

These parts are riveted together
Old 03-06-2018, 09:09 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Stev-o
These parts are riveted together

And they will only go together one way, the rivets have a stagger to them. Another thing is that when you un-rivet them they are next to impossible to re-rivet them back together so epoxy is needed.

Like I said above, we had fits with the aftermarket china made upper contacts... and in our shop we mainly use them as a repair part re-using the upper retainer portion from the original contact.

Willcox
Old 03-06-2018, 09:32 AM
Stev-o
Drifting

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
It shouldn't matter how you install the horn button on the upper contact, the issue might be the upper contact. The upper contact will only install one way because of the lower contact in relation to the stand on the upper contact making contact with the lower.

It could also be an issue with the button shims... There are shims that go below the upper contact the help move the button away from the tilt tele lever or the upper column.

So... you might want to take the upper contact apart and clean it. It's held together with three plastic rivets that you can drive the center of out of. Once you do this you clean the upper and lower sections, and then re-assemble it.

The new upper contacts being sold are junk... I find myself constantly using the new contacts to remove parts and repair the old original contacts with..

So here are some pictures..

Horn contact rivets that you can drive out to repair.

Lower contact

How the lower contact installs.

Appreciate your help with this. Havent had a chance to to look at it, maybe later today....
Old 03-06-2018, 09:30 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Take a look.. post back.. you can't have a horn issue I've not crossed 100 times.

Willcox
Old 03-17-2018, 09:59 PM
regatta
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't remove the rivets on the horn button. Difficult to reuse without epoxy and sometimes that won't work.
My 68 has a plastic insert that fits in the column under the top steering hub, and has a cut out for the turn signal screw and a hole that the horn stem or rod and spring fits into to ground out the horn once the button is pushed. . then the horn rod and spring if they are not already attached are inserted into this plastic hole, then the spring of the steering column shaft fits into this plastic center. Then you put the steering hub back on and align the hole in the column with the horn rod. then place the large washer and a lock washer and nut to hold it in place. Then you have a metal piece ( I don't know what all the pieces are called, but I am well familiar with them.) This piece has a L shaped arm that extends underneath it and sits on top of the horn rod, and the top of this piece aligns with the horn button assembly. To get things aligned correctly and to have your horn button flags correct you need to make sure this piece is correctly over the horn rod. Then you can press the horn assembly on and everything should fit correctly.
Another way is to buy a universal horn spring rod from Summit and this has a wire from the horn rod to the L shaped assembly that ground your horn differently but works well if for some reason you cannot align the L shape bracket with the horn rod.
All this is very confusing unless you have done it over and over again, I spent two days trying to figure what it takes to make the horn honk and to align correctly without the horn going off all the time or not at all.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:28 PM
Stev-o
Drifting

Thanks for the replies guys. I just played with it a bit and got it to work with the flags orientation correct.
However, it does not seem as secure and may pop off when driving? I'm going to give it a shot as is and if it does pop off, may try some silicone to keep it attached.

Thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To C3 horn button

Quick Reply: C3 horn button