Sponsored by:

Key stuck in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 07:42 PM
tonak
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Key stuck in ignition

Nice day so I was going to break hibernation for the vette. Engine started just fine , I turned it off and the key is stuck. The cylinder just won't rotate to where I can remove it. Transmission in park, steering wheel unlocked and it just won't budge. Key is in good shape and this is the first time I've had this happen. I had the column apart a few years ago to tighten the dreaded 4 bolts that keep the column from "wiggling" but otherwise no issues. I really don't look forward to tearing the column down again even though I know the lock cylinder isn't all that bad to get to. Any ideas? I usually get to drive at least a little bit before she demands attention
Old 03-11-2018, 08:03 PM
HOOAH
1969/1971/1976 Coupes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by tonak
Nice day so I was going to break hibernation for the vette. Engine started just fine , I turned it off and the key is stuck. The cylinder just won't rotate to where I can remove it. Transmission in park, steering wheel unlocked and it just won't budge. Key is in good shape and this is the first time I've had this happen. I had the column apart a few years ago to tighten the dreaded 4 bolts that keep the column from "wiggling" but otherwise no issues. I really don't look forward to tearing the column down again even though I know the lock cylinder isn't all that bad to get to. Any ideas? I usually get to drive at least a little bit before she demands attention
Under the hood on the steering column, just where the column comes through the firewall, there is a tab that rotates when the trans selector is moved from a drive gear to reverse. At times the cable from the trans that connects to that tab will bind and not move that tab. I had to disconnect my cable and wire up the tab until I could get a new cable. Anyway, the rotation of that tab is sync'd with the column to allow full rotation of the ignition switch to allow you to remove the key. Not sure if it is the same on an automatic trans but what I just described is on a manual trans car.

Terry
Old 03-11-2018, 08:16 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

My guess is Terry has correctly diagnosed the problem. Auto trans have the same design as the 4 speed cars for the reverse lockout system.

I believe the tab/lever has to be in the highest position for it to release the key from the ignition.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:04 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Looks like tonak has a '79 so there's no shift interlock--just a little lever to push before the key will release.

Key stuck in ignition was one of the first things that happened. Replacing the cylinder is, it seems, the only solution. It's not too bad of a job. Unless you're certain it's in good shape be sure to order the insulator/retainer that installs over the snap clip. You don't have to remove the turn signal switch but you do have to move it out of the way.

Get notified of new replies

To Key stuck in ignition

Quick Reply: Key stuck in ignition