Sponsored by:

Trying to find Dad's 1972 War Bonnet Yellow Manual Trans

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 11:21 PM
JPKKMO
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to find Dad's 1972 War Bonnet Yellow Manual Trans

Dad turns 80 in July, 2018. In 1972, he purchased new in Detroit a War Bonnet Yellow T-top, manual trans, awesome C3 vette... remember him driving me to school in it. Unfortunately, with 6 boys, it was not very practical. Within a year, still in Detroit, he traded it in on a new Dodge van (Lee hadn't introduced the minivan yet).

I've tried without success: to find old pics with a license plate, reached out to the Michigan Secretary of State if they have any archived registrations (no), insurance records, etc. Thought I'd reach out to members of this forum for any additional ideas, perhaps spur any memories of someone purchasing a low mileage '72 C3 back in the day,

Thank you for any insight you may have.

Joe
Old 04-14-2018, 07:30 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Any chance you can come up with the VIN? Is it possible your father might still have old paperwork for the car?
The following users liked this post:
JPKKMO (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 07:33 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Any chance you can come up with the VIN? Is it possible your father might still have old paperwork for the car?
That is the first thing that came to my mind Mike. I sure wish more people would get the C-3 registry updated and keep it updated, might make locating something like this so much easier.

OP, good luck with your search. There were only 2,550 of them made and it may feel like a needle in the haystack, but no better reason than your dad to look. I applaud you.

Best regards,

David Howard
AllVettes4Me

Last edited by AllC34Me; 04-14-2018 at 07:35 AM.
JPKKMO (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 07:45 AM
pauls71stingray
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It might help to narrow it down by listing any options that you remember. Big or small block, interior color, etc.
JPKKMO (04-14-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 09:50 AM
JPKKMO
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Hi Mike, Good question... I've conducted a thorough search of his old paperwork, files, etc. Unfortunately, haven't been successful in locating the VIN.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:51 AM
JPKKMO
5th Gear

Originally Posted by AllVettes4Me
That is the first thing that came to my mind Mike. I sure wish more people would get the C-3 registry updated and keep it updated, might make locating something like this so much easier.

OP, good luck with your search. There were only 2,550 of them made and it may feel like a needle in the haystack, but no better reason than your dad to look. I applaud you.

Best regards,

David Howard
AllVettes4Me
Thank you for the encouragement David!
Old 04-14-2018, 09:57 AM
JPKKMO
5th Gear

Originally Posted by pauls71stingray
It might help to narrow it down by listing any options that you remember. Big or small block, interior color, etc.
Hi Paul, Good point; I'll see what additional options I can get my father to recall (without appearing too inquisitive as it would be great for this to be a surprise) and post them. In the meantime, I believe it was a small block, saddle brown interior.

Thank you to all for the responses & ideas... I know this is a total moonshot!
Old 07-25-2018, 05:24 PM
Dennis Anderson
1st Gear

Default 1972 Corvette, any ideas where it went..

HI there,
I took ownership of a 1972 Corvette that was an original War Bonnet Yellow but is now Mille Miglia Red, as it was repainted in Alabama in early 2000's.
My neighbor in Tampa, FL area purchased in 04, and I have had it since 14.. It is a K code (350, 200hp), 4 speed, AC, no power window, medium saddle interior car. Will look at more of the paperwork he gave me with to see if it may have any other info of where it may have been before that.. Good Luck in your search!

Last edited by Dennis Anderson; 07-25-2018 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Misspelled word
Old 07-25-2018, 05:36 PM
JPKKMO
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Dennis Anderson
HI there,
I took ownership of a 1972 Corvette that was an original War Bonnet Yellow but is now Mille Miglia Red, as it was repainted in Alabama in early 2000's.
My neighbor in Tampa, FL area purchased in 04, and I have had it since 14.. It is a K code (350, 200hp), 4 speed, AC, no power window, medium saddle interior car. Will look at more of the paperwork he gave me with to see if it may have any other info of where it may have been before that.. Good Luck in your search!
Hi Dennis! Thank you for posting... and the words of encouragement. I'll check with my Dad and find out if he recalls power windows or not. Would love to hear what else you find out about yours. Joe

Get notified of new replies

To Trying to find Dad's 1972 War Bonnet Yellow Manual Trans

Quick Reply: Trying to find Dad's 1972 War Bonnet Yellow Manual Trans