Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borgenson steering for 77

Old 05-01-2018, 07:05 PM
DavidandJoansVette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Borgenson steering for 77

I seem to have typical p/s leak issues. Switching to Borgenson steering has a lot of appeal and the various vendor price seems reasonable. HOWEVER one issue gives me pause- the sentence which says the column must be shortened or collapsed 1 to 2 inches for the pieces to fit. So my question is how difficult is the shortening to accomplish ? Thanks in advance ,
Old 05-01-2018, 07:17 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

it is very easy. I put some vice grips on the shaft as a stop/marker and smacked it down into the column. I think I put a 2x4 over the end and beat on it a couple of times if I remember right. I really like the upgrade.
The following users liked this post:
DavidandJoansVette (05-09-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 07:41 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by brent319
it is very easy. I put some vice grips on the shaft as a stop/marker and smacked it down into the column. I think I put a 2x4 over the end and beat on it a couple of times if I remember right. I really like the upgrade.
And how easy is it to return to factory should a person decide to go back to factory original ?

Doesn't collapsing a steering column break something (injected plastic ) inside similar if it happened in a collision.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:19 AM
Kim72
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had Borgeson steering for a very long time. Trust me, you won't go back.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:08 AM
David Mc
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine collapsed fairly easily. (meaning the plastic pins are doing nothing but providing a friction fit)
Old 05-02-2018, 07:53 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidandJoansVette
I seem to have typical p/s leak issues. Switching to Borgenson steering has a lot of appeal and the various vendor price seems reasonable. HOWEVER one issue gives me pause- the sentence which says the column must be shortened or collapsed 1 to 2 inches for the pieces to fit. So my question is how difficult is the shortening to accomplish ? Thanks in advance ,
This is a hang up to me also, i have not seen jim sheas opinion on it and he is the vette steering guru,
Im big into modding but gm designed the column in a certain safety way,

How would tampering with it effect liability in the event of an accident?

If there wasnt a kit being sold and just "some guy" said he planned a mod that requires the column shortening in this way on this forum he would get called a hack job bubba, but because its a sold kit that makes it okay

as a modder i dont believe its any big deal to bust the part and colaspe the column and if i do get in a crash how well will i fend either way but another hurdle is would it be worth it to me,

Ive had and daily driven vettes all my life and even manual steering wasnt horrible to me, perhaps tina might not have liked parking it though,

When the stock steering is really up to par its not bad, we cant gauge it with 30 40 50 plus year old warn parts...
Old 05-03-2018, 12:32 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,132 Likes on 2,325 Posts

I'm still working on it in my 79. I had to pull the steering column out to get it to collapse, and to use a Dremel to fix the damage done with a few missed hammer hits while it was still in the car. It collapsed easily enough when mounted in a vise, but there was no way I could have hit it that hard in the car with the engine still in place. Now I'm just waiting on parts to fix the problems I found when I pulled the steering column.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:13 AM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Not hard. The key is to make your marks and take your time tapping. i used a small piece of wood and had to take small taps cause the engine was in the car. as far as going back? i doubt you'll want to.

The following 2 users liked this post by redcruz1120:
DavidandJoansVette (05-09-2018), SpeedRacerMach (05-04-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 11:24 AM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I used a 5lb sledge. I measured carefully the amt to move and tapped it in slowly.

I love the Borgeson upgrade. I did the hydroboost at the same time. Excellent upgrades for the C3. The Hydroboost really opens up the engine bay.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:05 PM
DavidandJoansVette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jcloving
I used a 5lb sledge. I measured carefully the amt to move and tapped it in slowly.

I love the Borgeson upgrade. I did the hydroboost at the same time. Excellent upgrades for the C3. The Hydroboost really opens up the engine bay.
Hydroboost?

Get notified of new replies

To Borgenson steering for 77

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Borgenson steering for 77