Sponsored by:

Question about battery cables

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 03:58 PM
Jmyers456
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about battery cables

OK so car has been sitting for 10-15 years, went to hook the battery up and it sparked from the negative wire, it did fry the fusible wire by the starter. So I went to trace the power wire in the battery compartment and the red wire goes down under the car and connects to the frame, did someone possibly use the wrong color battery cables cause I don't think the power wire is suppose to connect to the frame.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:42 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 541 Posts

So did you put the red to the positive post by mistake. I most likely would have done that myself NEVER thinking a red cable would be a ground. I know it's possible but I wouldn't have thought of it.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:55 PM
Jmyers456
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kanvasman
So did you put the red to the positive post by mistake. I most likely would have done that myself NEVER thinking a red cable would be a ground. I know it's possible but I wouldn't have thought of it.
Yeah, hooked the positive, well the red cable first then the black cable and it sparked pretty good, then stopped sparked when the fusible link blew. Like you said never thought the red would be a ground
Old 05-09-2018, 06:57 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,256 Likes on 3,903 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

well that just stinks. I would remove the red ground so it never happens again or someone helping you jump start your car doesnt blow up a battery
Old 05-09-2018, 07:42 AM
roy69
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There's a post in here somewhere from a few years back when I had the same 'experience', with improperly colored battery cables. Although it's not worth the price, it did make a very nice cloud of smoke.

I didn't change the battery cables, but I did mark them with properly color coded tape on the ends near the battery. I did, however, take the opportunity to replace the engine wiring harness instead of just replacing the fusible link.

Last edited by roy69; 05-09-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about battery cables

Quick Reply: Question about battery cables