Sponsored by:

'68 owners, need a quick measurement, please

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 12:41 PM
Kevin68
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Default '68 owners, need a quick measurement, please

Can anybody tell me the distance from the steering wheel mounting surface to the closest part of the arch in dash pad?

And the amount of dish on a stock steering wheel?

My '68 came from PO with a 69+ TT column, and I am having a new column built without the ignition in the column. The supplier says their '68 Corvette column's position is the same as a TT fully extended, then I need a 2.5" adapter to accommodate my 6-screw steering wheel. I temporarily put the old column, pedals and seat back in so I could get a test fit (the interior is otherwise completely removed). It seems the extended TT length + 2.5" might be an OK racing position, but too close for a comfortable cruise. I think I may have them shorten the column and move the under dash mount back a few inches. I need to make sure that the head of the new column doesn't interfere with the lower dash pad.

This pic was taken before I removed the interior. It shows the dimension I am looking for.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:42 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 198 Posts

Mine has the standard column and it measures 10.75" from the arch in the dash pad to the mounting point for the wheel.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin68 (05-22-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 05:00 PM
suprspooky
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

I can get you the Dish later this evening if still needed. Do you know the maker/vendor of the Seats in your Car?
Old 05-24-2018, 10:21 AM
Kevin68
Drifting

Originally Posted by suprspooky
I can get you the Dish later this evening if still needed. Do you know the maker/vendor of the Seats in your Car?
If you could get a dish dimension, that would be helpful. Thanks.

The seats are Corbeau A4's. I got them through Speed Direct with their mounting brackets.... which were less than a perfect fit. The holes lined up fine, but you need to shim the brackets with a few washers so that the seat will slide properly. With the shaved cushion, I sit about an inch higher than in my old worn out seats. The back tilt is fully adjustable, but the forward/backward adjustment is limited, maybe 2-3 inches, but I think you would need to be less than 5' 5-6" to need to move the seat more than 3 inches forward in these cars. The side bolsters are thick so if your waist is more than 36" or so, that might be a problem. I'm pleased with them, but there are less expensive seat options available.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:50 PM
suprspooky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevin68
If you could get a dish dimension, that would be helpful. Thanks.

The seats are Corbeau A4's. I got them through Speed Direct with their mounting brackets.... which were less than a perfect fit. The holes lined up fine, but you need to shim the brackets with a few washers so that the seat will slide properly. With the shaved cushion, I sit about an inch higher than in my old worn out seats. The back tilt is fully adjustable, but the forward/backward adjustment is limited, maybe 2-3 inches, but I think you would need to be less than 5' 5-6" to need to move the seat more than 3 inches forward in these cars. The side bolsters are thick so if your waist is more than 36" or so, that might be a problem. I'm pleased with them, but there are less expensive seat options available.
Thanks for the info, I'll grab the dish dimension at lunch time today (forgot last night, new Puppy is kickin my butt).
Old 05-24-2018, 04:26 PM
suprspooky
Burning Brakes

The dish is 4" from the top surface of the Wheel to the top surface of the Spoke Center Hub (Horn Button removed).
The following users liked this post:
Kevin68 (05-25-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 10:38 AM
Kevin68
Drifting

Originally Posted by suprspooky
The dish is 4" from the top surface of the Wheel to the top surface of the Spoke Center Hub (Horn Button removed).
Thanks. That seems like it would be uncomfortably close with the 10.75" to the dash. I think I'll have my column built a little shorter.

Get notified of new replies

To '68 owners, need a quick measurement, please

Quick Reply: '68 owners, need a quick measurement, please