Sponsored by:

How to set car up on a Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 06:25 AM
longtimedead
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How to set car up on a Dyno

Hi, I live over in the uk and have my car booked in for a dyno run as i have fitted a 383 engine and want to know what it produces .its a 79 with a TH350 auto box and obviously its not a car a workshop will come across often over here so would like to know just in case they ask me how the car it best strapped down and secured and what gear to put it in ,i.e. 2nd or 3rd ? .Its a workshop that do remapping and tuning on modern petrol and diesel engines and have a good reputation ,i will not be asking them to do anything other than the dyno run as i am happy with the way it performs but am curious to what the power is now
Old 05-30-2018, 01:39 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by longtimedead
Hi, I live over in the uk and have my car booked in for a dyno run as i have fitted a 383 engine and want to know what it produces .its a 79 with a TH350 auto box and obviously its not a car a workshop will come across often over here so would like to know just in case they ask me how the car it best strapped down and secured and what gear to put it in ,i.e. 2nd or 3rd ? .Its a workshop that do remapping and tuning on modern petrol and diesel engines and have a good reputation ,i will not be asking them to do anything other than the dyno run as i am happy with the way it performs but am curious to what the power is now

1) Strap it down tight in the rear.... There is some holes in the frame cross over above the diff mount they can hook the straps into, to cinch the car down snug on the rollers.

2) Make your dyno pulls in 3rd gear and make sure to disconnect the kick down cable from the carb so it won't downshift during the pull.

3) Make sure rear tires are aired up pretty good... 35-40 psi

4) Prepare for the heart break when it doesn't make anywhere near the power you think it should.
The following users liked this post:
longtimedead (05-31-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 02:31 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

ajrothm said "Prepare for the heart break when it doesn't make anywhere near the power you think it should" I agree. He helped me when I was doing some dyno runs and expecting immense figures, only to get good, but not great numbers.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:36 AM
longtimedead
Intermediate

Thank you for your post AJROTHM ,it gave me all the answers i need and a smile with your comment about the HP,I hope i am being realistic at 350, i will find out on the 9th of June
Old 05-31-2018, 09:32 AM
Terminal_Crazy
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by longtimedead
Thank you for your post AJROTHM ,it gave me all the answers i need and a smile with your comment about the HP,I hope i am being realistic at 350, i will find out on the 9th of June

Hello,
Where abouts are you in the UK and where is the dyno based?

TIA
Mitch
Old 05-31-2018, 09:45 AM
longtimedead
Intermediate

Hi Mitch ,im down in the south west of Wales near Cardigan (middle of nowhere) and the dyno is in a place called cross hands ,the nearest big place would be Swansea
Old 05-31-2018, 10:53 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Does the operator know anything about Chevys?
Meaning having sense to stop the pull at a certain rpm rather than letting it pop?
Old 06-01-2018, 03:59 AM
longtimedead
Intermediate

Hi,I presume they will not have seen many so l will tell him to not go beyond 5k / 5.5 to be safe and have a good talk with him before he starts , there are no dyno people or workshops within at least 200 miles that i know off that would see old american V8 cars but these come recommended

Get notified of new replies

To How to set car up on a Dyno

Quick Reply: How to set car up on a Dyno