Sponsored by:

1982 Paint Haze

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 07:16 PM
Tslayer66
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982 Paint Haze

Recently purchased a 1982 silver blue over dark blue. The silver blue has a haze as you can see in the pic. Hand working rubbing compound and polish seems to be helping but slow and not dramatic improvements. Any products or suggestions from some of you experts? Long term plan is new paint but that' a few years down the road.
You can see the top of the spoiler is where i have been polishing by hand
Old 06-05-2018, 10:15 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,230 Likes on 2,772 Posts

It's looking better......a low-speed buffer might improve the results/save your forearms.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:24 PM
Black4speed
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tslayer66
Recently purchased a 1982 silver blue over dark blue. The silver blue has a haze as you can see in the pic. Hand working rubbing compound and polish seems to be helping but slow and not dramatic improvements. Any products or suggestions from some of you experts? Long term plan is new paint but that' a few years down the road.
You can see the top of the spoiler is where i have been polishing by hand
Sonax. Google it it's amazing.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:32 PM
garrettb
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Excellent choice. We have the same car! As has been suggested, an electric polisher would be the best investment, but if the clear coat is gone/wearing thin, not much can be done. I'm in the same boat. Paint is in my future, but I am just enjoying using the car for now. Post pictures of the rest of the car if you are able!
Old 06-05-2018, 10:35 PM
JoeMinnesota
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 128 Posts

Invest in a buffer. Try Meguiers cleaner paste wax and if that doesn't work you can go to a light buffing compound and then back out with a second round with the paste wax. Works well to buff and apply with machine and then remove by hand with soft towels or rags. Use an old toothbrush along with an air gun to get the wax out of your gaps, trim, emblems and lights after the wax dries well. You'll have good driver paint before you know it. Reds and silver tend to lose their luster but respond to rubouts well.

Last edited by JoeMinnesota; 06-05-2018 at 10:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 Paint Haze

Quick Reply: 1982 Paint Haze