Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big chain store

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 08:17 PM
slammin
Pro

Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

This thread makes me long for the 60s and 70s (not the only reason) when the guys behind the counter knew more than how to page down a computer page. Most had as much car knowledge as mechanics. Growing up in Dayton, Ohio we had 2 good locally owned auto parts store chains, Main Auto Parts and Genuine Auto Parts. Of course that was back when 99% of the stocked parts were made in the USA! Now I don't think the counter guys could spell car if you spotted them the c and the r.

Last edited by slammin; 06-10-2018 at 08:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Greg (06-11-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 09:08 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

I guess nothing is perfect, we see more and more bad feedback about big names in vette parts right here ( hidden ) on the transaction section of the forum,

And yep, most times the kid working the computer either doesnt work on cars or is a tuner, his honda will spank your c3, sorry,
He has zero control the parts lookup is set up stupidly.

I try to buy the best part i can but its a given when my local parts store whichever one will same or next day hand me basically any wear item for my 69 most with hassle free life time exchange, cheaper than the vette guy, im going that way,

I have seen too much feedback about how again some big name in corvette parts makes a person jump through hoops to get an exchange, or refund, never do the local guys do that to me, and the same quailty costs less,
Old 06-11-2018, 10:24 AM
roy69
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I often use the 'big box' stores for parts that are not specific to a vintage Vette . I've got an Advance Auto and Autozone within a mile or so of the house and they often have what I'm looking for at a good price. They also have on-line software that lets me find out if the local store has the item I want on hand -- so wasted trips can be avoided.

Regarding unwanted emails - if you haven't already done so, set up an email account (there are many free email services available) that you use strictly for places that require an email account that you don't want to get email from - give them that email address. They're happy and you're not bothered.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:39 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,163 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Some stuff can only be bought from the big Vette vendors or resellers. But for everything else, I tried really hard to throw some business towards the local NAPA. Every single time, even for simple things like fan belts, it was a two trip ordeal. One to order, one to pick up. I'll still get some things that I know they stock, and it's a nice bike ride to go there, but I've given up.

I use Rock Auto when they carry the item (which, surprisingly, is a lot).

I also use this site to look up the original GM and/or Delco part number:
http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/cat...log_search.php
This can save time at Rock Auto, or eBay, or Amazon, or wherever I have to order it from.

Last edited by Bikespace; 06-11-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:22 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottd
Let me hit this from both sides:
The kid behind the counter is taught to use a computer. He has no other way to look up parts. He HAS to go thru that stupid list of 'what size motor, with or without A/C' before the computer will even take him to parts lists. He cant just walk back into the parts area and know off the top of his head what part number is a starter for a SBC.

Now, on the OTHER hand.....I'm willing to bet that less than 5% of current parts store employees have turned a wrench on their cars (well, other than their K&N air filter and fart can muffler tip) None of them seem smart enough to cross reference parts or look up non stock options.

Unless I'm in a dire emergency, I avoid the big stores and order solely online.

BINGO!!!

I'm a 66 year old, lifelong "gearhead", who worked in the precision optics industry, for close to 40 years, as well as working with cars, on the side.

After I took an "early retirement" from full time work, in 2008, I took a part time job, driving a delivery truck for an Advance Auto Parts branch store, and worked there 4 years. You don't know how many times I was brought into parts counter transactions, by the young fellows who took care of that part of the store, because customers came in looking for parts for "vintage" cars, and they had issues negotiating the computer. The young fellows who manned the counter, at least in our store, actually had a lot of "hands on" experience, but since they were 25-30 years old, how would they know about points type distributors, or 4 barrel carburetors?

But, as mentioned, the computer is the primary source of information in the "big box chain stores". In the wholesale part of the store, however, we did have some vendor catalogs (printed) to work with.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:29 PM
Vettedreamer74
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I just don't understand people when they talk about Rock Auto. The shipping argument is ridiculous because it is still SO MUCH CHEAPER than any other place. I've ordered through them close to 10 times and never had a problem. Their website is designed weird, but doesn't take long to figure it out. I actually prefer their site now compared to others. On average, even with shipping, their prices are probably 40%+ less than anyone else. I live in a small town and have two really good auto part stores where guys know their stuff, but like you've said before, O'Reilly's is a half hour of waiting for nothing to happen.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:40 PM
bobbarry
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I ordinarily use the Advance Auto right around the corner from me, but I make sure to order the parts online for in-store pickup, and search the web for a discount coupon that works best for my order. The best ones are/were the $20 off a $50 (or more) or $30 off of $70 purchase; I would bundle my items into separate purchases in amounts as close to $50 or $70 as possible, then go pick them up at one time.

When I have time, I do order through RockAuto, as they are cheaper even with the shipping, though I do choose parts carefully, as you can usually find parts that, even if they are slightly more expensive, end up being cheaper since they are shipped from the same spot for the same price as just the items you already ordered being shipped from that same warehouse.

For mission-critical items, though, like rebuilt brake calipers and batteries, I order from NAPA, either online or with my AAA discount. Everywhere else has disappointed me on those parts.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:52 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Auto parts stores are just fast food without the food.

I hate them. I walk in and say...

" I need a radiator for a 2000 Silverado 4.8 liter, single cab, automatic, with AC".

Them:

What year was that again? What model? Did you say 5.7? is that an automatic? What is your zip code? Did you say upper or lower hose?

Quick Reply: big chain store