Sponsored by:

No air/vent anywhere...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 05:51 PM
NorthernMI_C3
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No air/vent anywhere...

I’m horrible at searching threads apparently...so my apologies in advance .. as the title says;

I picked up this beautiful ‘81 Maroon Metallic C3, and have been slowly bringing her back.. Nice new Magnaflow duals, new interior, etc. my current opportunity is fixing the ventilation...

I have power at my a/c/heat control and can hear the blower in it’s various fan speeds, however absolutely no air warm or cold..coming out any of the vents regardless of position. It’s a bit stuffy when driving unless the tops are off.. Lots of good schematics I’ve found, and thinking it’s probably hose related.. just need someone to point me in the right direction to start the fix..as everything I read seems to talk about only air at the feet, or defrost..

Thanks in advance from the newb...
Old 06-18-2018, 11:34 PM
brian76
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthernMI_C3
I’m horrible at searching threads apparently...so my apologies in advance .. as the title says;

I picked up this beautiful ‘81 Maroon Metallic C3, and have been slowly bringing her back.. Nice new Magnaflow duals, new interior, etc. my current opportunity is fixing the ventilation...

I have power at my a/c/heat control and can hear the blower in it’s various fan speeds, however absolutely no air warm or cold..coming out any of the vents regardless of position. It’s a bit stuffy when driving unless the tops are off.. Lots of good schematics I’ve found, and thinking it’s probably hose related.. just need someone to point me in the right direction to start the fix..as everything I read seems to talk about only air at the feet, or defrost..

Thanks in advance from the newb...
I'm getting ready to do this. I have some air flow, but very little. I would try first by removing the evaporator cover and remove all debris and leaves that may be in there clogging things up. I would also check the vacuum hoses that lead from the climate control to the chamber doors that direct air flow, and see if they're working properly
Old 06-19-2018, 11:05 AM
BlueL82
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I fixed these problems by redoing my interior vacuum system. The hoses were completely shot and the vacuum actuators were clogged. Bought new hoses and used a small drill bit to clean the actuator ports.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:24 PM
NorthernMI_C3
7th Gear

Originally Posted by BlueL82
I fixed these problems by redoing my interior vacuum system. The hoses were completely shot and the vacuum actuators were clogged. Bought new hoses and used a small drill bit to clean the actuator ports.
Appreciate the info! Did some more reading, and started with the control unit, and found the hoses to be trashed. Progress. Haven’t gotten any air anywhere yet, but now feel like I have some direction..
Old 06-20-2018, 02:47 PM
BlueL82
Instructor

Also, make sure to replace the vacuum control switch! The gasket inside controls the whole system and gets dry rotted.

PN: 9348049

Old 06-20-2018, 08:12 PM
NorthernMI_C3
7th Gear

Replacing that (control Unit) as well. Figured easier to do that in anticipation of issues. Parts should be here Friday.. I’ll keep it updated. Looking forward to some fresh air !
Old 06-21-2018, 12:29 PM
shaun8484
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Please keep us updated. I have the same problem but my air only comes out of the lower vents, nothing from the upper vents.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:35 AM
NorthernMI_C3
7th Gear

the Saga continues... have the new control unit.. easy enough... now the hose part.... tearing into it today... Im chasing down a labyrinth. using what I feel is a simple diagram I found for overall layout and location of the hoses and vac and taking the route of basically replacing all the hoses regardless if still 'good', or not.. Ill try to get a picture or two. hoping this does the job.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:07 PM
NorthernMI_C3
7th Gear

So, this is becoming Pandora’s Box. Tracing all the vacuum lines from the climate control module I can already see the heater hose bypass valve line is toast. Maybe heat from the exhaust? Or being 37 yrs old I guess. The bulk/grn hose coming from control module looks good, but then leads to nowhere.. it doesn’t make it to the interior vent actuator.

Two questions;’. In this pic is there another line missing off the controller? And thinking best option is to simply redo all the heat/vent vac lines.. how easy (or hard) is it to thread those lines through the firewall bulkhead? I’m fearful the bulkhead grommet/gasket itself is going to fail as well. Strangely, the headlights work great. Aren’t they all tied in somewhat?

TIA for any pointers.. I’m going to win this one yet!

Old 06-27-2018, 09:29 AM
BlueL82
Instructor

On that control valve PN: 9348049 there is one spot that shouldn’t have anything attached. The original is completely closed but on your new one you will have to plug it. The total replacment isn’t too bad, but I’m not sure since my interior was mostly gutted. The grommets pop out pretty easy but are pretty hard to reuse, so I bought some black silicone sealnt. One of the interior vacuum lines does connect with the headlights, but they meet at the check valve. So the headlights can work without the interior. I attached a picture of the diagram that came with my kit.

Also, for the interior actuators you might want to pick up flexing racheting wrenches! Great for getting into tight spaces. The actuator nuts are 10mm and have a rod that attach to the door.

Also also, If you for sure have to replace a bad actuator, you do not have to spend $100 on an original. Some gm cars used the exact same vacuum actuators and other componets into the late 90s.

Last edited by BlueL82; 06-27-2018 at 09:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NorthernMI_C3 (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 07:35 PM
NorthernMI_C3
7th Gear

Finally making some progress with the vent/vacuum issue..
replaced the vacuum control switch. When I unscrewed it, and it fell off in two pieces...easy to install the new switch.
Following the white line out to the heater bypass valve, found out it basically didn’t exist.. in place, but melted In several places..
I now have fresh air coming through the vents. My newest opportunity is the bypass/water shut off switch behind the glove box. It’s there, but hanging freely.. my hot/cold cable actuator moves, but you can see from the pic, that it is about to break at the cable mounting point.. replace?

My question(s) are, how should this be correctly mounted so when the cable calls for cold, it depresses the switch.. otherwise am I going to simply have heat the entire time when the engine warms up?

Progress...slow but sure..

T

Get notified of new replies

To No air/vent anywhere...

Quick Reply: No air/vent anywhere...