Sponsored by:

Starter post showing voltage from Key buzzer

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 01:55 PM
Sting & Ray
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter post showing voltage from Key buzzer

Anyone have an issue with unswitched voltage showing up on the starter motor's starter/purple wire post? the voltmeter shows 2-3V with the key off and the driver door is opened & the key buzzer sounds. My girlfriend found this while I was searching for a starting quirk. (so much for my Mechanic's Certs since '76 and 6 years of engineering school!). Per Greg at Lectric Limited - look at the steering column - flat connector and inside.

I'd been checking the voltage to the starter post (purple wire)

I have the Tilt-Telescoping Steering column in my '69 coupe. All wiring/radio/instruments are new, except for the power window harness (working fine), and what's in and on the column. The neutral safety switch is new. I've been having an issue with starting from time time - when I turn the key to start, sometimes there's nothing. The Battery is new and kept on a Delrin tender. I've gotten out of the car and jumped the starter post from the main buss on the horn relay/key buzzer, and the engine turns over effortlessly. It's hard to get a voltmeter on it right away, but I know I'm in for dropping the column down and replacing the ignition switch, as I only got 8V showing to the starter post (with 12.6V available at the battery and main buss) when it does start up normally by the key.

Possibly the ignition switch is old and carbon dirty to be causing the 2-3 volts to leak over to the start/purple post, but are there any ideas as to where else the 2-3 volts is leaking from ?
Mike

Last edited by Sting & Ray; 06-20-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:06 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Hi and Welcome!

That's an interesting problem.
You can prove that there is no issue inside the column by disconnecting the wires at the harmonica connection.
Could be a problem with the left key in switch gone bad.
Could be a problem down at the ignition switch

Do some tests and post back.

'69 schematic:
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...GZjYjVhZWU4MGQ

Quick Reply: Starter post showing voltage from Key buzzer