Sponsored by:

78 radio and speaker replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 02:51 PM
Rebuck33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 radio and speaker replacement

I'm in the process of changing all new interior in my 78 and would like to upgrade the radio. I have a few questions.....

1. Is there a detailed thread out there that already discusses this??? If not read the questions below...
2. Can a new radio be placed in and still have the antenna automatically go up and down?
3. How hard are the front speaker to change??? I don't really feel like ripping the dash out!
4. My plan is to leave all factory wiring there, remove the old and install all new, that way if someone ever wants to put the old back in, its all there. This happens to be a 78 Pace Car with a factory AM/FM CB but it doesn't work at all anymore.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:06 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 261 Likes on 211 Posts

I bought an original 79' last year and the PO had installed an aftermarket radio, but he put it in a pod under the dash on pass side. You can just barely see it in the photo. Anyway, he did me a BIG favor by doing this as none of the wires were cut other that speakers. Bought the replacement speaker harness and went back to the stock AM/FM/CB.
The front speakers come out from the top. Gently pry off the plastic speaker cover and there are screws that hold the speaker to the dash. There is not a lot of room for a big magnet speaker.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:45 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 431 Likes on 309 Posts

You can get a replacement center gauge bezel cut out for a modern radio. I'd start there, so you don't cut your original one. Next go to a place like Crutchfield.com and get a wiring harness adapter that will plug directly into the factory wiring, and then you can wire in your new radio to the adapter harness. The front speakers are not hard to take out, and you certainly don't need to take the dash out. I have 4x6 Alpine speakers in my dash and they fit perfectly in the factory location with no modification. Everything I mentioned involves no cutting of anything original and can be 100% reversed to original at a later date if someone should want to.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:36 PM
Rebuck33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I’m starting to feel better except for the power antenna lead wire..... do they come on replacement head units or is there some way to retrofit something with a newer radio?
Old 07-08-2018, 07:42 AM
BlueL82
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebuck33
Ok, I’m starting to feel better except for the power antenna lead wire..... do they come on replacement head units or is there some way to retrofit something with a newer radio?
What type of head unit are you getting? I think it should tell you if it is power antenna compatible.

Get notified of new replies

To 78 radio and speaker replacement

Quick Reply: 78 radio and speaker replacement