C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homelink garage door opener

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:40 AM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyL32
I have found several homelink rear view mirrors at pick a part wrecking yards. I installed one in my 1978 with compass and temp. Compass is self contained in the mirror and temp sensor was just one wire out to the front of the car. Makes a nice update on an older car.

I'd like to see a pic. I considered a mirror, but didn't think I'd like the look in my 69.
Originally Posted by theandies
I'm just "bust'in your chops". You addition is a great idea but my OCD wouldn't allow me to install it upside down.
I have my fair share of OCD! Lol. It was the lesser of two evils. Upside down, using the already damaged panel, or cut a hole in my original panel. THAT was not going to happen.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:52 AM
RockyL32
Burning Brakes

Location: If your not the lead dog the view never changes Boise, Id
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

I’ll snap,a picture when I get home on Monday. I was able to find one that mounts to the stock windshield button. I took it out of a Mazda I believe.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:32 PM
wisoutlaw
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You essentially built the garage door opener my grandfather had in the early 60's! The transceiver was a square metal box about 2/3 the size of the battery. It was mounted under the hood somewhere and wired to a simple push-button added somewhere under the dash. When you got a new car you took the old one to the door opener shop to remove the transceiver and then took the new car in to have it installed there. Great idea you had!
Old 07-12-2018, 05:47 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

My OCD keeps asking if you saved enough blue interior paint for that steering column.

Just kidding, good job. I always hide mine in the car’s compartments, but reading this thread reminds me to just use my Liftmaster phone app.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:08 PM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer6369
My OCD keeps asking if you saved enough blue interior paint for that steering column.
Ha! It's on my ever-growing list of things to address. I get one thing done, and find two or three more that need doing!
Old 07-13-2018, 05:11 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Do like your install even if I chose the rear view mirror route in my '79. It has a compass (always nice), outside temperature, garage opener, auto dimming, garage door opener and map lights. In '78+ all* the wiring required (+12V, ground, ignition +12V, door open ground) is very conveniently located in and near the right windshield pillar. +12V & ground in the pillar for the passenger lighted vanity mirror for '
79+ (unless you have a green interior like I do) otherwise everything is available at the courtesy lighting delay module to the right of the glove box and just below the pillar. The only modification to trim parts I had to make was a small cutout in the windshield header trim for the wiring to the mirror.

*Yes, you'll need two (perhaps one) wire for the temperature sensor but even if you aren't in the midst of an electrical upgrade and have the wiring harnesses removed from the car (as I did) you'll be able to bring in the wiring roughly behind the glove box using an existing grommet through the firewall with little problem.
The following users liked this post:
RJ1AZ (07-13-2018)

Quick Reply: Homelink garage door opener