Sponsored by:

Steel city grey....or green

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 04:00 PM
kzibjj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steel city grey....or green

I have a 1972 car that had been repainted several years ago. Factory color is steel city grey, paint code 988. I ordered some touch up paint to repair a chip in the fiberglass, about 11/2" big. I repaired the chip. Before ordering, I went to google images to check the color. I noticed some images looked grayish and some greenish. My car is greenish. The touch up bottle is more greyish. Anyone run into this before and what did you do to color match?
Old 07-10-2018, 04:12 PM
sray454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kzibjj
I have a 1972 car that had been repainted several years ago. Factory color is steel city grey, paint code 988. I ordered some touch up paint to repair a chip in the fiberglass, about 11/2" big. I repaired the chip. Before ordering, I went to google images to check the color. I noticed some images looked grayish and some greenish. My car is greenish. The touch up bottle is more greyish. Anyone run into this before and what did you do to color match?

Steel Cities Gray is a really beautiful color - and the green / gray really depends on lighting. It seems more green in brighter lights and more Gray in dimmer lighting. To match, order from same place your paint shop got theirs for the respray.
The following users liked this post:
kzibjj (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 04:30 PM
kzibjj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sray454
Steel Cities Gray is a really beautiful color - and the green / gray really depends on lighting. It seems more green in brighter lights and more Gray in dimmer lighting. To match, order from same place your paint shop got theirs for the respray.
Respray was done several years ago and I don't know where. I called the shop I bought the car from. He believes he has some to give me. He has to ask the paint guy tomorrow morning, who left already today. Hopefully, if he has some, it will be a better match than what I now have.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:30 PM
The Hot Rod Grille
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

You could take the car to the paint shop and have them do a computer scan to get the correct color match if they are unable to find the original sample.
The following users liked this post:
kzibjj (07-10-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Steel city grey....or green

Quick Reply: Steel city grey....or green