Sponsored by:

calipers

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 02:53 PM
haybail
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default calipers

I have a 1975 Corvette, I replaced the left front caliper, it was remanufacture and got it at the parts store. put in on with no problem brakes working just fine. Driving a little and the next day I check to make sure in was not leaking. But it was. it was leaking in the front where the to halves come together and where the O Rings are. Taking a closer look, the two halve look like they don't match. When they rebuild them don't they keep original matching set together. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
haybail
Old 07-13-2018, 03:27 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by haybail
...the two halve look like they don't match....
Each caliper has two halves; they do not exactly match since one half has a bleeder.

...When they rebuild them don't they keep original matching set together...
Probably not.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 07-13-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:15 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

No, caliper halves are not kept together during the rebuilding process. I've seen used calipers where one halve was an original Delco, and the other halve was an aftermarket replacement.

If you have your original calipers, the companies that deal in Corvette calipers can rebuild your calipers, but they charge an additional "tracking" fee, to make sure that the halves do stay together, and that you do get your calipers back.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:25 PM
haybail
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
No, caliper halves are not kept together during the rebuilding process. I've seen used calipers where one halve was an original Delco, and the other halve was an aftermarket replacement.

If you have your original calipers, the companies that deal in Corvette calipers can rebuild your calipers, but they charge an additional "tracking" fee, to make sure that the halves do stay together, and that you do get your calipers back.
Thanks for all the above information
Haybail
Old 07-13-2018, 06:48 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,783 Posts

haybail,
Did you buy from Autozone? They have had a real quality control problem with their rebuilt calipers lately. They used to use Cardone but recently switched, I believe to BBB Industries. I don't think their new supplier is sleeving the calipers. Lots of leakers.
Greg
Old 07-13-2018, 07:27 PM
ntfday
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

O'Reilly isn't much better.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:30 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Probably the same supplier.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:53 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

No better from corvette vendors. (unless you got calipers more than 7 years ago) Here is my pile of leaking calipers. even lonestar. lip seal or O-ring.

Now to be fare, these may have been fine for street only use, but the seals used in these products do not take the heat. I tested during 20-25 minute track sessions most calipers failed within the first year. (front), rears lasted 2-3 years.

I now have wilwoods on year 3 without any issues to date. Street or track days. Bad thing is they are costly.

Last edited by cagotzmann; 07-14-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:05 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Original calipers aren' much better. I rebuilt my originals, but the two halves fit so poorly, being a machinist I resurfaced the mating areas to be parallel with each other and to prevent the pads from wearing out "on an angle".
Old 07-14-2018, 09:11 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
No better from corvette vendors. (unless you got calipers more than 7 years ago) Here is my pile of leaking calipers. even lonestar. lip seal or O-ring.

Now to be fare, these may have been fine for street only use, but the seals used in these products do not take the heat. I tested during 20-25 minute track sessions most calipers failed within the first year. (front), rears lasted 2-3 years.

I now have wilwoods on year 3 without any issues to date. Street or track days. Bad thing is they are costly.

Another vote for Wilwood here.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:59 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin

Another vote for Wilwood here.
I was happy with the Lonestars (via Zip) on my street/DD only 79. For my track(able) when complete 80, I was hoping to do the same. Aren't Wilwoods, the rears in particular, a bit of a pain to bleed? If stock calipers won't hold up to track use, I won't waste my time.

Has anyone attempted to spec their own O-rings? McMaster sells "high-temp o-rings" good to 450 deg F. Kalrez O-rings will go above 600 deg F, for the bargain price of $30- each (and up).

Last edited by Bikespace; 07-14-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:36 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikespace
I was happy with the Lonestars (via Zip) on my street/DD only 79. For my track(able) when complete 80, I was hoping to do the same. Aren't Wilwoods, the rears in particular, a bit of a pain to bleed? If stock calipers won't hold up to track use, I won't waste my time.

Has anyone attempted to spec their own O-rings? McMaster sells "high-temp o-rings" good to 450 deg F. Kalrez O-rings will go above 600 deg F, for the bargain price of $30- each (and up).
See my lonestar O-ring in the pile. I am sure they didn't use any of those O-rings. I guess you could try a rebuild. As for the wilwood rear bleeding they are a pain only the first time. I bleed ~ every 2 weeks between track days and have not had any problems after the first bleed. I also press the pistons in the caliper when bleeding. This also allows me to make sure no piston is stuck and moves freely.
The following users liked this post:
Bikespace (07-15-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To calipers

Quick Reply: calipers