Sponsored by:

Point me in the right direction

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 02:46 PM
brentw
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Point me in the right direction

I have a 1970 corvette convertible 4spd. I just bought the car about 4 months ago. The previous owner spent a lot of money on the car(Paint, rechrome, lots of new parts), But never finished it. The car has not run in about ten years. My first order of business was to see if I could get it running spending little money. I did get it running, But it was in need of a good bit of money to really get it back on the road. The story is the engine is not #s matching, But it is Period correct. The numbers on the front of the block are gone. I guess the block has been machined. So If I am going to spend money to get it on the road and enjoy it I need help pointing me in the right direction. My options are rebuild whats in it, Buy a used zz4 create motor from a friend about 2k dollars, Or go LS1 about 2k for the motor and 2 or 3k to install. Every time I think I've got my answer, I read or hear something that changes my mind. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:25 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I was just wondering what your plans were for it before we go spending your money. Do you plan on showing it, racing it, cruising in it, and will you travel very far in it on the highway?
I really like modded 'vettes and have an LS, but that is a very nice, original looking car so to me depending upon what you like and what your intentions are.
Whatever you do, it will be a nice damn sharp car.
The following users liked this post:
brentw (08-19-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 05:12 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

The car does look very nice and the motor that's in it is not the original. Personally I would rule out the LS swap for what you have. The friends motor has a good history?? that's the way to go. Who knows what the 350 in the car is. Maybe the motor needs to be tuned and carb. tuned? Then you still don't know what your dealing with. ZZ4 is a good motor if you know the history behind the one your looking at.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:14 PM
brentw
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the comments on my car. I love the look of custom and original cars. Anytime I think about changing the look or performance from original I end up staying with factory. Deep down I would love to stick an ls motor in the car and change the wheels. That just seems so expensive and takes so long to complete with my busy schedule (two little girls) I don't want the car to turn into a 3 plus year project. To answer the questions. I would like to drive the car both around town, and on the highway. Car shows, I want enough power to put you in the seat, But don't think ill be racing. I do like the look of a modern corvette motor sitting in there. For me tuning a carb is like kryptonite to superman. On the other hand I love the sound the old corvettes make, Might loose that with an ls motor. Not sure if guys are using there old manual trans, Or only putting modern trans with ls motor. If that's the case I start leaning back to old school. It starts getting to expensive for me. I feel like the easy solution is zz4 motor. But will I be happy in the long run?
Thanks again for you comments.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:21 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Would you be doing the LS (or the ZZ4) swap yourself or farming it out?

If you're farming it out, your estimate for the LS is way light probably by $5,000.

Im not sure why you think the engine needs to be rebuilt. Does it smoke like a train? No compression?

Seriously assess what needs needs to be done to the current engine as that is the cheapest route by far, but if it needs to be rebuilt, I'd say you're better off with the ZZ4.

Now, here's one more option to consider - put a FiTech or Sniper self tuning throttle body in place of the carb. With that you get to keep the old school look but get modern start and response. Next mod down the road would be to add a 5 or 6 speed transmission.

The best option is almost almost always the most expensive, and that would be the LS, and that is what your daughters wish you would do. The option I proposed would get you 50% of the LS benefits for about half the cost.

The following 2 users liked this post by Zoomin:
brent319 (08-19-2018), brentw (08-19-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Point me in the right direction

Quick Reply: Point me in the right direction