Sponsored by:

Buying a C3

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 06:11 PM
ctuttle07
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a C3

Hi everybody, im new to this forum and not a current vette owner but I am looking into buying one. I am currently looking at an 1981 4 speed with 62k miles. Is there anything particular I should look for when I go to check out this car? Im told that currently the ebrake is frozen, the A/C does not work, and the power seat does not work. Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 08-30-2018, 06:17 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,274 Likes on 2,791 Posts

Welcome. At the top of the page is a section named Stickies. Read the 10 Rules about buying a Corvette. That will give you a good idea. Also post some pics of the car in this thread so the expert members can advise you.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:18 PM
ctuttle07
5th Gear

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Welcome. At the top of the page is a section named Stickies. Read the 10 Rules about buying a Corvette. That will give you a good idea. Also post some pics of the car in this thread so the expert members can advise you.
Thanks!
Old 08-30-2018, 10:07 PM
ctuttle07
5th Gear

Default this is the car

Old 08-31-2018, 07:00 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Asking price?
Old 08-31-2018, 11:41 AM
bobbarry
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

That's pretty, but the important parts are the metal ones underneath; is the e-brake frozen due to rust that also is affecting the frame and birdcage? Are those electrical items inoperative because of damaged, hacked or corroded wiring? The motors and switches from that era of GM are very high quality and rarely fail outright, but a lot of people butcher their Corvettes out of ignorance.

This could be anything from a great example needing only a few easy fixes, or it could be a flood-recovery vehicle that will give you endless headaches, no enjoyment and an empty wallet. From that description and those pictures, either option is about equally likely.

The buyer's guide posts will help you figure out which you are closer to.

Good luck!
Old 09-01-2018, 02:13 AM
C17
Heel & Toe

Default C3 corvette body

Originally Posted by ctuttle07
Hi everybody, im new to this forum and not a current vette owner but I am looking into buying one. I am currently looking at an 1981 4 speed with 62k miles. Is there anything particular I should look for when I go to check out this car? Im told that currently the ebrake is frozen, the A/C does not work, and the power seat does not work. Any help would be much appreciated!
Look at this "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgRgAppx0d4"
Pull the fuel tank out and see if there is rust in or around the tank. If there is a bladder inside the fuel tank, do not get rid of it. You will need it to put the sending unit back in.
Look at the frame.
Look at the body mounts

Last edited by C17; 09-01-2018 at 02:20 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a C3

Quick Reply: Buying a C3