Sponsored by:

Looking at buying my first Corvette - 1976 C3

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 12:25 PM
Ron Sjostrom
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scrappy76
Imo, it looks good, but not $9,000 good. Looks pretty dirty. I would pull the pull the kick panels and check the mounts. Also check the back body mounts. The Odometer and tach repair is not an easy job. A/C will need to be fixed or the wife will complain. I would say $ 6,500 would be fair, as long as the mounts look good. Again, my own opinion.
Agree ... and not to be insulting to the owner but I would let him know the valuation by https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuati...rolet-Corvette based on its condition...
He is asking a price that says its in GOOD condition and it's not close to the definition.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:42 PM
wjalex4
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have verbally negotiated A price more in line with what you guys are saying. I will return tomorrow afternoon to take a second look at the car before committing. My understanding is that I should remove the kick panel covers inside the car and look in there for frame rot. Then there’s another area in the back that I should look at… But I don’t know where that is.

thanks again for everything. Y’all are awesome.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:15 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,154 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by wjalex4
We have verbally negotiated A price more in line with what you guys are saying. I will return tomorrow afternoon to take a second look at the car before committing. My understanding is that I should remove the kick panel covers inside the car and look in there for frame rot. Then there’s another area in the back that I should look at… But I don’t know where that is.

Sounds like you'll be paying about the right amount. Hopefully behind the kick panels you see something better than this. The other spot is at the upturn at the rear wheels, both at the frame and the birdcage panel behind the seat and carpet. Best of luck, and I hope you and your wife have many enjoyable miles together!

Old 09-14-2018, 03:58 PM
wjalex4
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the info! I'll be back out there tomorrow.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:02 PM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by wjalex4

where Bikerspace shows you in the picture he attached, plus the back body mounts. they are hard to see with the mufflers in the way.
Also, since the odometer doesn't work, do you know the true mileage?
Old 09-16-2018, 09:55 AM
wjalex4
Heel & Toe

Well, I bought it. Pick it up next week. Here's how it went.... I arrived yesterday morning with a cordless drill and other implements of destruction. They handed me the keys to the car, access to their garage, and said do whatever I wanted, and left my Dad and I out there alone. We removed the sill plates and kick panels. Wow - looked great. Solid with just a little surface rust on the top of the bottom bolt that (I guess) attaches the birdcage to the frame. Both sides were the same. Rear upturns no rust found. Front wheel wells, no rust found. Floor pans under carpet were clean... barely any surface rust at all. Back body mount areas looked clean overall. Inspections in every crevice and under everything showed a car that had been well kept, no signs of any accidents, and was an honest survivor with a repaint possibly being the only body work the car had ever seen.

No, I don't know the true mileage since the odometer does not work - but that's okay with me. My Dad took the t-tops out - clean and tight. Seals looked good, mechanisms really strong, no rust. Around windshield pillars and dash - no rust. Coolant clean and green. Dipstick shows good oil that is NOT NEW, but not old, not foamy. My Dad, who is NOT a Corvette fan by any means, but has owned dozens and dozens of cars in his 76 years on Earth said that he saw no reason to not buy it. He drove it, and found transmission shifted easily and was tight. Ran started easily and ran strong, idled fine, accelerated good. Brakes excellent with new power brake booster and new master cylinder.

Thanks everyone for your help. I will be active on this forum and I work on the vehicle and learn more about this car. I really appreciate everyone's assistance in my first Corvette purchase having a solid grounding.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:08 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

frame pics look good. your description of the body mounts sez this is a good buy. but the map pocket is pulled out on one side!! what were you thinking!?!? JK. nice car.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:14 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 139 Posts

guessing that's 116k miles?

I paid 10k for mine with 72,000 miles and it's a hair bit better rust wise shape, but very very close to yours, honestly, reading the horror stories of rust in these cars, an extra few $ is worth every penny for it for not having to fight the rust

honestly, to me 9 would be a fair price for a manual, BUT... your probably at the edge of the clutch life... 116k miles would be due for the clutch to go out if they were sloppy with it

Last edited by naramlee; 09-16-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:35 PM
Ron Sjostrom
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

So Happy for you. Enjoy the continual grin.....
Old 09-16-2018, 01:59 PM
Gman81
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Congratulations on the purchase.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:35 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

looks like a real nice corvette , congratulations
Old 09-21-2018, 05:48 PM
Jstan2014
Safety Car

Received 546 Likes on 421 Posts

Congrats on your sharp looking C3, Walter. I hope your wife loves it!

Quick Reply: Looking at buying my first Corvette - 1976 C3