Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Chevy's Experimental Turbo C3 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 01:26 PM
Mongoo$e
Cruising

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember like 8-10 years ago while working in retail I had a conversation with a customer who said he had a TT C3 that was one of like 100 ever built. And he bought it from a guy, who got it from gym and nobody could get it running right. We got in the conversation while talking about my turbo c6.

Being the very skeptical car guy I was, but also knowing he is a customer, I just nonned and said Uh-Huh..

So the guy says you want to see it? And not ****, this redneck had it sitting in the parking lot. Full on Summit racing and Jegs on the windshield and a peck wood sticker on the fender, a carton of Marlboro Reds on the passenger seat, interior most likely eaten by a family of mice.

It was one of the coolest cars I have ever seen.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:25 PM
Sarge81
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Brian, I remember that car back around 2006. It was at the Hamburg, NY Fair and Gaming Grounds. The guy had all the documentation from Yenko Chevrolet. I'm glad to see that car is still alive and well all these years later. If your in the area still, I'd love to see it sometime. Let me know.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:32 PM
BrianGandt
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yes, this is that car.

Originally Posted by Sarge81
Hey Brian, I remember that car back around 2006. It was at the Hamburg, NY Fair and Gaming Grounds. The guy had all the documentation from Yenko Chevrolet. I'm glad to see that car is still alive and well all these years later. If your in the area still, I'd love to see it sometime. Let me know.
I live in the Lewiston area looking to hear more about it owner did not know much more than the paperwork.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:59 AM
JasonDcarnut
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Brian, I have the SAME turbo setup and been trying to find out details on who did the turbo conversion. My 81 was bought from a chevy dealer in Long Island, NY. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jay
Old 08-05-2021, 12:22 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

I'm familiar. I worked for Garrett Air Research here in PHX.

The main problem was; Not a significant HP boost....Twas 'rated' at 250HP. at a low pressure of 7-psi. by the time the turbo kicked in...the car ran out of revs...being basically a 4500-5000 Rpm engine.
Increased underhood heat signifcantly.
Knock sensor tech and computer retard/advance was in it's infancy and FRANKLY, It didn't work very well..

They saw that the massive warrantee tsunami on the horizon and killed it before it was born.

Chevy Still uses pushrods and 2V tech in their 'Vette engines....pretty conservative company!

Hey! they tried!

Unkahal

Quick Reply: Driving Chevy's Experimental Turbo C3 Corvette