Sponsored by:

Car is not braking to its full potential

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 10:04 PM
skhan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car is not braking to its full potential

So I have been struggling with my '75 brake system for a bit. First I thought it was only the bleeding problems, so I did that, while doing that, I found a leak in brake-line. I fixed that. Brakes were still not really stopping the car well. Brakes are not powered by the way, no brake booster.

Next I took off front brake pads, they looked like they were worn funny. Got new brake pads for front axle, while changing brake pads, I found out one of the brake caliper was leaking. Sooo went ahead and replaced that too. Brakes got better but no were close to their full potential.

Rear brake pad seemed fine, but i was like why not. So I ended up changing the rear brake pads as well, found rust and gunk and leaks in the rear calipers too. Replaced them both. put new brake pads.

Bleed the who system. Brakes are still crappy. I am not sure what else I can try. I have checked all calipers for leaks all lines for leaks. Calipers are new, brake pads are new. System is bled, with no bubbles.

The car does stop, but its a slower stop then it should be able to stop. If I stomp the brake peddle, it should lock the wheels. Currently, it does not . Any help will be appreciated.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:44 PM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

Master cylinder is the only component left. Assuming all the rebuild calipers are good, (I’ve had a bad rebuilt caliper) the master might be leaking internally and not generating the correct pressure.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:50 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Many questions.

1. What makes you think it’s still not braking to its full potential.

2. Pads are worn “funny”? What do the rotors look like? Grooved? replace them.

3. How did you bleed the brakes? Which wheel first, second, third, fourth? What is the total amount of fluid you bled out?

4. What dot fluid? Synthetic? What was in it before?

-Stroke

Last edited by Strokemyaxe; 09-23-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:56 PM
jsbwac
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I would also check the master cylinder. Did the fluid run down in it? Maybe try bleeding that quick, and if not, replace.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:56 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by skhan
So I have been struggling with my '75 brake system for a bit. First I thought it was only the bleeding problems, so I did that, while doing that, I found a leak in brake-line. I fixed that. Brakes were still not really stopping the car well. Brakes are not powered by the way, no brake booster.

Next I took off front brake pads, they looked like they were worn funny. Got new brake pads for front axle, while changing brake pads, I found out one of the brake caliper was leaking. Sooo went ahead and replaced that too. Brakes got better but no were close to their full potential.

Rear brake pad seemed fine, but i was like why not. So I ended up changing the rear brake pads as well, found rust and gunk and leaks in the rear calipers too. Replaced them both. put new brake pads.

Bleed the who system. Brakes are still crappy. I am not sure what else I can try. I have checked all calipers for leaks all lines for leaks. Calipers are new, brake pads are new. System is bled, with no bubbles.

The car does stop, but its a slower stop then it should be able to stop. If I stomp the brake peddle, it should lock the wheels. Currently, it does not . Any help will be appreciated.
So what brake pads did you select. Most OEM replacements that are metallic based last long, but don't stop with any kind of G forces. The best pads for stopping power for my C3 has been the Raybestos ST47 Pads.

Tried many brands from OEM Metalic's , organic , Hawk, Wilwood , Carbotech , Raybestos etc. Carbotech have also been a good. Also my BF Radial TA's could lock with any Pad, My Michelin Sport Sports required Hawk, Wilwood, Carbotech, Raybestos, to lock the tires. The nitto NT01's required Carbotech & Raybestos to lock the tires. But if you cannot lock tires like GF Radial TA's then you have air in the system trapped somewhere. Most common area's are.

So did you bleed the Master Cylinder while on the car ?
How did you bleed the calipers ? Is the pedal nice and firm (manual brakes)
Old 09-24-2018, 07:56 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

It's possible that you have a master cylinder for power brakes instead of manual brakes. A manual brake master cylinder has a 1" piston and a power brake master has a 1-1/8" piston which will require much more pedal force to achieve the same fluid pressure.
The following users liked this post:
Syl1953 (09-25-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 08:17 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Is the brake pedal mushy, low, requiring numerous pumps to get pedal pressure, hard with no stopping? Glazed rotors from having brake fluid on them will cause good pedal and hard to stop condition. Any pulling under hard braking? T
Old 09-24-2018, 09:05 AM
Rodnok1
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by bashcraft
It's possible that you have a master cylinder for power brakes instead of manual brakes. A manual brake master cylinder has a 1" piston and a power brake master has a 1-1/8" piston which will require much more pedal force to achieve the same fluid pressure.
Very possible or brake rod in wrong hole in brake pedal if it has two on your year, I fought that issue before on other vehicles.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:26 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

a corvette is very difficult to bled completely, I thought I did mine right 4-5 times.
until finally got them completely bleed.
my very last trick, was tapping calipers with rubber hammer, during bleed process.
this dislodges the air bubbles clinging to the inside of the calipers.
good luck
Old 09-24-2018, 10:17 AM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 279 Posts

Not sure I read that you replaced the brake hoses, could be the rubber is now weakened and or collapsed, causing poor brake performance.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:18 AM
skhan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by maj75
Master cylinder is the only component left. Assuming all the rebuild calipers are good, (I’ve had a bad rebuilt caliper) the master might be leaking internally and not generating the correct pressure.
How would I test that?
Bleed the master cylinder? is it possible to bleed the master cylinder while on the car.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:25 AM
skhan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Strokemyaxe
Many questions.

1. What makes you think it’s still not braking to its full potential.

2. Pads are worn “funny”? What do the rotors look like? Grooved? replace them.

3. How did you bleed the brakes? Which wheel first, second, third, fourth? What is the total amount of fluid you bled out?

4. What dot fluid? Synthetic? What was in it before?

-Stroke
1. The car does not lock the wheels. if the brake are fully engaged, the wheels should lock. Plus the car stops too slow.
2. Pads were worn slanted, not equally.
3. Bled the break by pumping the peddle and opening and closing the bleeder valve.
4. I used dot 3 and 4. I am not sure what it was before. Didnt think it needs anything special.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:01 AM
skhan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
So what brake pads did you select. Most OEM replacements that are metallic based last long, but don't stop with any kind of G forces. The best pads for stopping power for my C3 has been the Raybestos ST47 Pads.

Tried many brands from OEM Metalic's , organic , Hawk, Wilwood , Carbotech , Raybestos etc. Carbotech have also been a good. Also my BF Radial TA's could lock with any Pad, My Michelin Sport Sports required Hawk, Wilwood, Carbotech, Raybestos, to lock the tires. The nitto NT01's required Carbotech & Raybestos to lock the tires. But if you cannot lock tires like GF Radial TA's then you have air in the system trapped somewhere. Most common area's are.

So did you bleed the Master Cylinder while on the car ?
How did you bleed the calipers ? Is the pedal nice and firm (manual brakes)
I am using Hawk performance pads.
I did not bleed the master cylinder, didnt know I need to.
Bled the calipers by pumping the brake and opening and closing of valve technique. the pedle is nice and firm.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:02 AM
skhan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bashcraft

How do I tell if this is the case?What do I need to measure? Or are there any indications on the cylinder like tag or writing which will tell me this?
Old 09-25-2018, 11:04 AM
skhan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rodnok1
Very possible or brake rod in wrong hole in brake pedal if it has two on your year, I fought that issue before on other vehicles.
mmm. So I need to look at the Pedal? Could you explain this a bit more please.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:05 AM
skhan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kansas123
Not sure I read that you replaced the brake hoses, could be the rubber is now weakened and or collapsed, causing poor brake performance.
I did not change the rubber hoses. They seem to have been put on by the previous owner. They look like in good conditions. Clean and solid.
Not sure if that is the issue. How could I test that?
Old 09-25-2018, 11:14 AM
Fredtoo
Pro

Received 293 Likes on 179 Posts

I am using Hawk performance pads.
I did not bleed the master cylinder, didnt know I need to.
Bled the calipers by pumping the brake and opening and closing of valve technique. the pedle is nice and firm.
Some race pads need heat in them to work right.
How fast are you going when you do the panic stop?

Get notified of new replies

To Car is not braking to its full potential

Old 09-25-2018, 11:30 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

How do I tell if this is the case?What do I need to measure? Or are there any indications on the cylinder like tag or writing which will tell me this?
You'll need to remove the master cylinder and measure the bore diameter from the back.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:47 AM
skhan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fredtoo
Some race pads need heat in them to work right.
How fast are you going when you do the panic stop?
I have tried them up to 45mph.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:04 PM
Fredtoo
Pro

Received 293 Likes on 179 Posts

How many miles on the pads?
They do take some time to bed in, especially on used rotors.

And

Do you have one of those IR heat guns? It is a good tool to see all your calipers are working (getting hot)

After you are sure the pads are bedded, try a few stops from highway speed. That should get the brakes up to operating temperature.
If it makes a big difference, you may need a pad that works at lower temps.
I put some Raybestos pads in my car, and they made a big improvement over the 20 year old brand X pads that were in there.
RAYBESTOS SP8XP Street Performance; Metallic (from Rock Auto)

Quick Reply: Car is not braking to its full potential