New Appreciation for Quality Tools

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 09:56 AM
Drifter36
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
Default New Appreciation for Quality Tools

B
Ok, so I admit I’m an amateur mechanic. I’m retired so I have the time to work on my cars. For 90% of the work I do, I don’t need top end tools. My Craftsman or Husky wrenches are just fine. But there are times when top end tools are needed. Here’s one.
I have not been able to adjust the timing on my 82CE because the distributor hold down clamp bolt was rusted and would not budge. I tried offset wrenches and adjustable but nothing worked. PB Blaster was used several times, with no success. So I bought a cheap distributor wrench. On the first use it bent like a pretzel. So that was a waste of $20. Did a search of the Snap On site and found one that looked good. Ten minutes after it arrived, the bolt was loose. I paid $77 for the wrench and it was a good investment. It needed a cheater bar to budge the bolt, but the tool held up.
So I guess my point is also that you get what you pay for.
Just thought I’d share my experience.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:08 AM
Rodnok1
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Usually someone finds out el cheapo tools aren't worth it when they pinch you hand against something or round the nut off in the most inaccessible place...
The following users liked this post:
Drifter36 (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 10:52 AM
69L46vert
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I've had that same snap on distributor wrench since I was a teenager (pushing 60). And although it doesn't get used a lot, it's an absolute pleasure to pull it out and use it for it's intended purpose.
Drifter36 (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 11:45 AM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

I made a dizzy bolt wrench decades ago by bending and welding a length of rebar to an old cut-off 9/16 Craftsman wrench. Definitely not as shiney and pretty as that Snap-On beauty, but it has gotten the job done ever since!
Drifter36 (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 11:59 AM
ZWILDZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 123 Posts

Having worked on cars for many years as my profession I definitely can relate. I bought mostly MAC, with some Matco, Snap On, and finally Craftsman before they started making junk. Now my biggest problem is trying to find a Mac/ Snap On dealer to replace any tools that break. I guess I could mail them to the respective companies but I would rather get them right away and it's just plain fun to see what's new. I'm glad as hell I have them cause they come in handy on so many projects.
Drifter36 (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 04:27 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 139 Posts

Show me anyone else that makes a balljoint press that works as easily and is just as easy to use as Snap-on's

And no, the OTC one by no means fits so easily on f250 Superduty knuckles

Drifter36 (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 08:08 PM
vbgod1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Good tools sometimes hurt when you buy them, but if you go the elcheapo route and screw a part up, then you buy the part, AND the right tool. I have tools in my box that only GM techs from the late 70's -early 80's will know, but they have served me well.
Chuck
Drifter36 (10-16-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 10:42 PM
jeffwebley
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

After the initial pain of dropping big coin on snap on or any other professional grade tool wears off, its not so bad.lol. I've been swinging a wrench for almost 30 years now, and I shudder when I see the price these new techs are paying for some of these tools. But if you are making a living with them , they are worth the expense.
El Cheapo tools have their place, but if you do buy them, get the J.A. Pan Corporation (joke) or Taiwan Tools, I've noticed, they generally have better fit, finish, and longevity than the chin-a tools.
My brother and I always joked if we won the lottery, we would buy gold plated snap on tools and have a hot blonde around to keep them clean. Hahhaaahaa.
Drifter36 (10-16-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 09:53 AM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 444 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My Grandfather was a self taught machinist. He completed 5th grade only. He went on to work at RCA for 42 years.
He retired in 1972. When we cleaned out his garage we found some "take homes" that he had fabricated specifically for a task.
The tool didn't exist so he made one. These men were the pioneers of modern tooling. He taught me allot as a boy and I attribute my car enthusiasm
to him. One time his 1937 Cord lost 2nd gear on the way to work. At lunch time he pulled the trans and his shop made a new gear. He drove the car home
just in time for dinner. My point of this story is I learned that you can never have too good of a tool. It can only make the project go smoother. It's bent that way for a reason.
I wish my grandfather was still here he would love to work with me on my 68.
Marshal
Old 10-17-2018, 10:08 AM
Fredtoo
Pro

Received 293 Likes on 179 Posts

Keep looking at eBay, and Craigslist, and you can usually score a good deal on lightly used Snap-On tools, for a fraction of retail.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:53 AM
Drifter36
Instructor

Nice story, Marshal.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:40 PM
71 Vert LS1
Drifting

Received 389 Likes on 295 Posts

I've had some of my tools for almost 40 years. Wow am I getting old! Mostly Craftsman. Where I think Snap On makes sense are tools that will get damaged as they are used like soft blow hammers. My Snap On soft blow hammer finally gave out last summer. It was over 25 years old. I tracked down the local Snap truck and asked for a replacement. No questions asked I had a new one in my hand a few minutes later. Another item that wears rather quickly are Allen wrenches. When I was a service tech for the company I used to work many of the attachments on the machines used hex set screws and had to be very tight. Snap On would replace them again no questions asked. The other item we would break are 3/8" drive swivel sockets when used with an impact wrench. I broke a Craftsman 10mm ratchet wrench. The locking pawl inside broke so it would only ratchet one way. Took it to the local Sears store and the first thing they asked me was I abusing the wrench? I said no I was using the wrench. They gave me a new one but didn't seem very happy to do so. I've made more than a couple "special" tools over the years. Cutting down wrenches and welding on different handles to get into an difficult spot.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:47 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

good tools are a must,if you earn a living with em
Old 10-17-2018, 04:23 PM
69_Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 400 Likes on 219 Posts

Since stories are told here . . . . .
I had to split the ball joints on my 69. Bought a cheap pickle fork splitter from Harbor Freight.
Spent over an hour beating on that thing until the forked tool split! Ball joint still intact.

I went and spent the bucks on an expensive splitter. Really? that much? How can the be that different?
Went home and split the ball joint on the first hit! OMG. I went to the other side of the car and split the other ball joint on the first hit also!

The quality of the cheap tool was so bad it was snagging on the ball joint instead of sliding in. Not obvious until I had a better tool in hand!

Quality tools definitely save time!
Scott
Drifter36 (10-18-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 07:38 PM
naramlee
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredtoo
Keep looking at eBay, and Craigslist, and you can usually score a good deal on lightly used Snap-On tools, for a fraction of retail.
absolutely correct... I bought my Digital Torque wrench this way for 100.00... about 450.00 less and it was brand spanking new... kinda warm to hold tho…

btw... it is the king of freakin torque wrenches... I love using it

Last edited by naramlee; 10-17-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:07 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

My dad was a navy plane mech and then machinist, he had lots of tools he modded, lots of bluepoint and other older brands,

I have seen tools so crappy they were worthless but not talking about those,

My tools, some bought new, some garage sales some given to me range from snap on, blue point craftsmen husky many others etc,
Oddly the ones i have broken the most in most cases while over stressing the tool were craftsmen,
I thought husky was lower end but never broke any yet,

I did learn that vice grips at some point went to hell, any with the plastic quick release handle are junk to me, i like my old orginal ones i score for peanuts at garage sales,

As a home hobbyist i dont justify spending top dollar on tools, not a place i want to waste money for bragging rights

Drifter36 (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 07:59 AM
Drifter36
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fredtoo
I found my MT 2500 on Craigslist. Works great!
Fredtoo (10-18-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To New Appreciation for Quality Tools

Old 10-18-2018, 08:52 AM
Rodnok1
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 69_Shark
Since stories are told here . . . . .
I had to split the ball joints on my 69. Bought a cheap pickle fork splitter from Harbor Freight.
Spent over an hour beating on that thing until the forked tool split! Ball joint still intact.

I went and spent the bucks on an expensive splitter. Really? that much? How can the be that different?
Went home and split the ball joint on the first hit! OMG. I went to the other side of the car and split the other ball joint on the first hit also!

The quality of the cheap tool was so bad it was snagging on the ball joint instead of sliding in. Not obvious until I had a better tool in hand!

Quality tools definitely save time!
Scott
Oh god cheap pickle forks still give me nightmares. I had picked up cheapo also years ago, it spread apart and couldn't get it off the ball joint. Of course I was doing it in the yard cold as snot out with almost zero tools back then. A bare hacksaw blade and an hr or two later i had cut it off.
Told my kid I'd slap him smart again if ever bought a cheap one...
Old 10-18-2018, 09:00 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 Vert LS1
….. Another item that wears rather quickly are Allen wrenches. When I was a service tech for the company I used to work many of the attachments on the machines used hex set screws and had to be very tight. Snap On would replace them again no questions asked.
I worked in the precision optics industry, primarily with vacuum coating chambers, and these machines also used a LOT of hex-headed set screws. However, as the heads would "round off", we'd simply use a bench grinder to grind off the beat-up portion of the wrench, and be back in business.....
Old 10-19-2018, 12:18 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Pickle forks?

I used to beat on them, never liked them, then around 89 or 90 dad laughed at me trying to get the 66 never rebuilt front suspension apart with pickle forks, ( good brand ones too )
He handed me a horror tool fright tool he had modded slightly,
Looked like this,

The parts came right apart some with a shotgun like bang i wasnt readly for, lol,
Nope, ill never use a fork again...

Quick Reply: New Appreciation for Quality Tools