Old 10-20-2018, 03:36 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 464 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21-'22
Default Shipping Recommendations

Hello all,
Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong area. I'm new here.
I'm looking for trustworthy shipper recommendations to transport my C3 from Florida to Nevada.
I submitted to uShip.com, but find that all of the quotes are coming from brokers.
I'd have no idea who is actually picking up and tranporting the car.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by fastimes; 10-20-2018 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:21 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by fastimes
Hello all,
Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong area. I'm new here.
I'm looking for trustworthy shipper recommendations to transport my C3 from Florida to Nevada.
I submitted to uShip.com, but find that all of the quotes are coming from brokers.
I'd have no idea who is actually picking up and tranporting the car.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
http://reliable-carriers.com/
Old 10-20-2018, 07:13 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Years ago I used to buy and sell mid-years cars, we always used Horseless Carriage. I'm not sure if they are still in business or if they still have a good deal on this but they'd pull up to the back lot with an enclosed hauler loaded with all kinds of classic cars. I've not done this in years, but they always did a good job and delivered on time. Not a recommendation just a suggestion.

Willcox
Old 10-20-2018, 07:36 PM
Hemi John
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

I've used horseless carriage a few times with excellent results. Not the cheapest, but never any problems and very good service
Old 10-20-2018, 08:03 PM
metal tech
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I used U-Ship to get my 81 from TX to OK and got a quote from broker. They coordinated with a carrier that could make the pickup/delivery to correspond with my timeline. I was given drivers name and ph #, we talked several times he did a good job and kept me apprised of his status. My broker made sure she got a copy of the drivers insurance before giving him the job.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:33 AM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'll get a quote from Horseless Carriage.
I'll also continue to sift through the quotes I'm getting through uShip.
Hopefully this will be a safe, problem free shipment.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:33 AM
slammin
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

I haven't needed to have a car shipping across country, so my comments are based on opinions and not actual experience. U-ship may be good for lots of things, but their business model concerns me,. I would much rather deal with one company that I can research and talk with on the phone. Your budget will be the determining factor. The condition and value of the car is another. Florida to Nevada is a long haul. You may want to spend the extra money for an enclosed hauler. Be sure they are bonded and insured. Check with your insurer to verify the car will be insured during transport. Since its a Florida car, make certain it has antifreeze! Even though you live in a warmer climate, the truck may travel thru some mighty cold areas this time of year. You might pick up a Hemmings at your local newstand. It has ads for transporters. Visit other collector cars chat groups. Most will have stories about buying a car long distance. Congrats on your purchase and when its home, please post pictures!

Last edited by slammin; 10-21-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:09 PM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

Received 181 Likes on 131 Posts

I also agree with Slammin’s recommendation to use an enclosed transport company that operates their own trucks, rather than dealing with a broker. A broker may save you a few hundred dollars, but if you have damages it maybe much more difficult to get an independent carrier to make things right.
A broker will have independent trucker’s bid on the job, so you really don’t know who you are getting, and the equipment maybe subpar.
I have only had two Corvettes transported and both times used enclosed transport companies with excellent results. One carrier was Reliable which is a forum sponsor. The second was Applewood Transport, but they do not service the western US.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:05 AM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

I used UShip from California to Florida. No issues and the price was right.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:02 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you for the recommendations. I've been bouncing between uShip and Yelp. When I get a quote, I search for reviews. Wow, there are a lot of horror stories out there.
As much as these companies like to advertise how much insurance coverage they carry for your vehicle, getting them to pay for any damage seems impossible, especially when dealing with a broker.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:20 PM
slammin
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mark79,80

I have only had two Corvettes transported and both times used enclosed transport companies with excellent results. One carrier was Reliable which is a forum sponsor.
I was going to suggest starting with Reliable, but was unable to find any vendor or sponsor info for them here on the forum. Perhaps one of the moderators can give us some direction. Doing a web search, I found Reliable Carriers. Do a careful search for the company you choose.
The following users liked this post:
fastimes (10-23-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 01:55 PM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

Received 181 Likes on 131 Posts

I got my names mixed up, Intercity is a Forum Sponsor I thought it was Reliable. I did contact Intercity for my last transport need and they could not accommodate my schedule so they recommended Applewood Transport who did an excellent job.
Applewood Transport primarily serves the eastern half of the US.
fastimes (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 04:05 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm waiting for a quote from Intercity. Reliable came in a few hundred higher than most of the uShip quotes, but I'm thinking the extra money may be worth it for peace of mind.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:33 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,694 Likes on 2,936 Posts

Try calling Stewart Transportation.
They do 99% of all the deliveries for Factory Five Racing.
I contacted them when I purchased my Factory Five.
They were professional and I was very pleased with them.
I'm not sure if they will transport a driver, but they would probably be able to recommend someone who can.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:54 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Hemi John
I've used horseless carriage a few times with excellent results. Not the cheapest, but never any problems and very good service
I contacted these guys for a quote but they don't service the route needed.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:21 PM
Mark Otnes
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

I used Plycar and they performed as advertised, enclosed trailer with lift-gate loading and unloading.
fastimes (10-27-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 06:58 PM
Stev-o
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 270 Posts

I just recently helped a buddy with two separate Corvette purchases, a C2 that came from NY and a C3 that came from MO.

I used uship for both, I insisted on enclosed trailers and owner-operators, no brokers.

Had no issues with either shipment.

Get notified of new replies

To Shipping Recommendations

Old 10-26-2018, 12:02 AM
81vettski
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought a 66 Chevelle in June and had it shipped from Arizona to NY and from what I've learned.......Big price difference between open and enclosed rigs. If you go with a broker know that the price is determined by the driver no matter what the broker quotes you at. Their experience is is the ballpark tho. They put it on a shipping board and if there are no takers they raise the price until they get a bite. And then the broker fee is on top of that. Try and guarantee that your car will be going from point A to B on 1 rig. The driver may not be going the whole route and take it to say St. Louis and then stored till another rig transports it the remainder. All these rigs carry insurance that cover damages but proof is always advisable.
I went enclosed with Plycon as well because I wanted to be sure it was A to B with them. Price was reasonable and maybe a little more than a broker but its a reliable company. Scheduling could have been quicker but understand you are not the only stop. They want to fill the rig which means more stops. They were accurate with pickup and delivery. The insurance exceeds the cost of all car on a run. Mine was the 2nd pickup with a McLaren on board and probably the least expensive. It arrived with no issues.
Hope this helped some. Good luck and enjoy it!
PS. Search different companies. Found Intercity and reliable to be ridiculously expensive and a long turnaround.

Last edited by 81vettski; 10-26-2018 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:36 AM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you everyone for the input. I focused on companies that I could deal with directly, and eliminated any brokers. I received quotes from Intercity, Reliable, Passport and Plycon. Unfortunately Horseless Carriage does not service the route needed.
I decided to book Reliable Carriers. Definitely not the cheapest price, but reputable (I think).
The thing that blows me away, is the timeframe. The invoice states "At convenience" which gives them a 6 week window to pick-up and deliver. Just seems like a long time to me, but I'd rather safe than quick.
Also, they are paid in full already. I should have bought a car carrier.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:46 PM
metal tech
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

at least you got it scheduled before a major auction like the Barret-Jackson Scottsdale. 6 weeks gives them time to work around bad weather and such.

Quick Reply: Shipping Recommendations