Sponsored by:

Craigslist jewel

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 06:52 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I will have a running driving driver condition all rebuilt 69 bb convertible for about 13k

12 to 13 was our goal, but realistically I think we`ll end up about 15. But ours is a base 71 coupe, not a BB vert. However, we DID keep it "numbers matching" which probably cost us a little more, but it means a lot to us. Of course, we had to build the engine, trans, rear, and paint it ourselves.... which cuts costs considerably.
We are on a budget, like Bats (and others), and have been saying for a long time.... it doesn`t take 25 to 30 grand to build a car IF you do it smart enough. ANYBODY can just throw money at it and hope some of it sticks. What fun is that?
Yes, I said "I don`t care how much it costs".... and I don`t...but that doesn`t mean I don`t know how to wait for deals on parts, be frugal on what I spend where, and learn how to save myself a grand on a transmission rebuild by buying books, videos, & rebuild kits instead of dumping it off at a shop & trusting their word!.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:22 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Jim,
Saying you dont care how much you dump in it but shop and spend savvy at face value just dont mix for me but i believe i know what you mean.

I respect that numbers mean a lot to you, even thought they mean nothing to me,
If i went numbers matching 427 convertible 69 it would be a rather pricey car,
I had to start with a base model then i can go with a 454 that is more drivable and has hp than the 69 427,
Its, about what we want and how we get there,
If an elistist purist thinks hes better more power to 'em
Old 10-22-2018, 08:29 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,155 Likes on 2,341 Posts

If it has a solid birdcage, and a clean title, anything else can be repaired for a cost.

Here's a great start to a restomod on our own Forum:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lly-cheap.html

Put an aftermarket chassis under it with an LS motor and a 6-speed, replace the front clip, and do about a million other things and you'll have a really nice car someday.

I'd love to do a project like this, but I don't have the time.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:42 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

My use of the term "jewel" was in the same vein like when a fat guy gets nicknamed slim,
Old 10-22-2018, 01:57 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

I'm also one that likes to build my own cars and motorcycles. I have since I was a teen a long time ago. There have been cars and bikes I've bought that were all stock or done that someone else built, but I never feel the same way about them as something I built. There is nothing like having the machine you built coming to life for the first time. Yes I've been upside down in most of my builds, but it was still worth it to me.

For someone who is mechanically challenged, it's probably not a good idea, It can get quite expensive paying shops to do work. The flip side is not everyone can afford to buy the car of their dreams, so buying a project can amortize the cost over several years. Yes you may end up upside down in the project car, but if you borrow the money to buy a ready to go car for what it is worth, the interest you pay will do the same thing.

Mike
Old 10-22-2018, 07:16 PM
maverickmk
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
this is the reason the later C3 is so cheap across the board. if these 77 to 81 cars were anything else, they woulda been chrushed and turned into 92 or so accords. then crushed again and turned into 05 accords. but since they are corvettes, they sit in somebody's yard for sale...
Careful, I have an '80
But seriously, that's why I got this one. It's a C3 body style that I can afford. The C3 is the best looking Corvette, in my opinion.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:50 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Very well said mike, gets my mind going,

I believe a lot of what i guess I'll call it confusion comes in for me from blanket short sighted ideals both from noisy negativists and myself.

Some things i believe im starting to sort out though,
Being upside down is almost or is downright subjective,
Not everyone who buys a basketcase for cheap and does most or all of the work themselves is upside down that badly or at all but some who judge just get a bit overboard and say things like "25k to have a 10k car".
Its not cut in stone like that.

Thats not always the case, lets get past the guy who pays way too much for a basketcase and then thoughtlessly throws money at it, that is not car crafting to me.
The savvy car crafter does all or the biggest percent of the work himself, he shops for the best buy on everything and uses his grey matter as much or more than his hands.

Jim,
i will use your car as an example, while yiu say you paid too much for it since i dont know that amount its moot,
You said you will have about 15k in it,
I have seen jims car, last i saw it he was still working on it but it had paint, a color hard to paint that jim, and his better half did right there that i would bet if he told a person this was a 10k hired out job by a vette painter no one would doubt him, the point, he doesnt have 10k in his paint not by a long shot.

So this brings me to an issue, most guys building their own cars while they might have in it more than it would sell for its not the huge double and triple amounts people toss out there,
I believe Jim could easily get 10k for his car as is and running driving 15k would be a steal.

Then the "i built it" idea, doesnt matter if you want a bone stock museum piece like alan or a resto mod you drive like you stole it, there is a swelling inner pride saying i built it,
And i dont believe there is a way to explain the feeling to the guy who just writes checks for his stuff built or turn key,
Maybe he feels pride he worked hard and made that money.

Many miss the fact that some of us do place a value on we built it ourselves...adding built the way we wanted,
Be it as gm did or as we see tgmhe perfect c3.

From all the threads and replies about it im beginning to believe a person gets it or they dont, perhaps it has to do with the difference of being just a car guy or actually a car crafting gear head,
No matter what reasons are we have someone will always be there ready to say we spent to much building what we built, but spending too much is subjective.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:54 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by maverickmk
Careful, I have an '80
But seriously, that's why I got this one. It's a C3 body style that I can afford. The C3 is the best looking Corvette, in my opinion.
I owned 2 81s and to me 80 to 82 are right there styling wise with the scared 68 to 72s,
I went 69 this time for a lot of reasons not because i find it better than another year.
I wish people would stop the division of the c3 run.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:48 PM
Zorro O
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I owned 2 81s and to me 80 to 82 are right there styling wise with the scared 68 to 72s,
I went 69 this time for a lot of reasons not because i find it better than another year.
I wish people would stop the division of the c3 run.
I’ve owned a number of Corvette’s I currently have a 79 C3 and a 2008 C6. With a few updates the 79 is a Blast to drive and a lot more convenient than my 69 C3, you can take the tops off and still carry luggage, it also has the best rear quarter vision of any of the Corvettes I owned. It also starts conversations every time I drive it. I put it up for sale on the NorthWest site months ago and have had no bites I’m starting to realize that though I won’t be able to finish it I really don’t want want to sell it so unless somebody is willing to pay my price I’ll just keep it. Here’s a link. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-lynnwood.html
Old 10-23-2018, 12:36 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Zorro O

I’ve owned a number of Corvette’s I currently have a 79 C3 and a 2008 C6. With a few updates the 79 is a Blast to drive and a lot more convenient than my 69 C3, you can take the tops off and still carry luggage, it also has the best rear quarter vision of any of the Corvettes I owned. It also starts conversations every time I drive it. I put it up for sale on the NorthWest site months ago and have had no bites I’m starting to realize that though I won’t be able to finish it I really don’t want want to sell it so unless somebody is willing to pay my price I’ll just keep it. Here’s a link. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-lynnwood.html
Ill be honest, ive owned a lot of corvettes too 66 to 86 and never was "convenient" in the list of concerns for me,
And never has any not started conversations,
I have used all as daily drivers and never hurt for luggage space or comforts.
I loved my 81s but the alleged extra space would have impressed me more had gm got it right in 78 and made all bubblebutts open like the 82CE
I saw no perceivable differences in full rear or rear quarter vision, and since i have a 69 convertible i know with the top off its got basically 100% rear vision,
With the targa band on all coupes i only see the bubblebutt giving a feeling of more open so more view,
I like the cozy feel of my hard top on.

No, im not poking at you, just having fun i found it ironic you quoted what i said about no c3 division between years yet you play up a 79 against down playing a 69.

We all have our favorite year i believe i might just lean to a 73 convertible, i like something about the miss matched ends.

As for you trying to sell your car and no bites you have me, i was going to say when a c3 doesnt sell its overpriced, period, but you asking 10k obo doesnt sound overpriced to me,
Not that i really know all that much about 79 values,
I have seen that with c3s every con like ac needs repairs and you say its unfinished seems to really hurt sales,

If i were in your shoes i would flip the c6 keep and finish or hire finished the 69

Perhaps at the risk of upsetting you someone here will chime in if your 79 price is fair or too high....

Old 10-23-2018, 01:10 AM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Looks like a total, unmitigated piece of crap disaster car that has trees growing up around it in the woods. Run for the hills.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:10 AM
Zorro O
Racer

Ill be honest, ive owned a lot of corvettes too 66 to 86 and never was "convenient" in the list of concerns for me,
And never has any not started conversations,
I have used all as daily drivers and never hurt for luggage space or comforts.
I loved my 81s but the alleged extra space would have impressed me more had gm got it right in 78 and made all bubblebutts open like the 82CE
I saw no perceivable differences in full rear or rear quarter vision, and since i have a 69 convertible i know with the top off its got basically 100% rear vision,
With the targa band on all coupes i only see the bubblebutt giving a feeling of more open so more view,
I like the cozy feel of my hard top on.

No, im not poking at you, just having fun i found it ironic you quoted what i said about no c3 division between years yet you play up a 79 against down playing a 69.

We all have our favorite year i believe i might just lean to a 73 convertible, i like something about the miss matched ends.

As for you trying to sell your car and no bites you have me, i was going to say when a c3 doesnt sell its overpriced, period, but you asking 10k obo doesnt sound overpriced to me,
Not that i really know all that much about 79 values,
I have seen that with c3s every con like ac needs repairs and you say its unfinished seems to really hurt sales,

If i were in your shoes i would flip the c6 keep and finish or hire finished the 69

Perhaps at the risk of upsetting you someone here will chime in if your 79 price is fair or too high....
Not a dig at the 69 I thought you were talking about all C3 Corvette’s and all the negatively you hear people who never owned one talk about them. My problem with my 69 was the T top body, with the tops on or off you still had the flying buttresses blocking your view of the quarters and the rear fenders blocking the side mirrors. The T top also didn’t have a space built into it to store the tops. I bought the C6 because I want to see the East coast and want to do it in a Corvette, my 79 with the fuel injection and overdrive transmission isn’t something I could get fixed just anywhere. I agree with your choice of a 73 it has been my favorite C3 since it came out and “personality” I see a little of it in the C6. It has the flat back end with round tail lights and the rubber nose. It just needs those crome bumpers in back. I appreciate your comments on my 79 if I could fix what little it needs I would. Somedays I still drive it to the beach and just park and sit in it, and hey the clock works!
Old 10-23-2018, 01:28 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Not a dig at the 69 I thought you were talking about all C3 Corvette’s and all the negatively you hear people who never owned one talk about them. My problem with my 69 was the T top body, with the tops on or off you still had the flying buttresses blocking your view of the quarters and the rear fenders blocking the side mirrors. The T top also didn’t have a space built into it to store the tops. I bought the C6 because I want to see the East coast and want to do it in a Corvette, my 79 with the fuel injection and overdrive transmission isn’t something I could get fixed just anywhere. I agree with your choice of a 73 it has been my favorite C3 since it came out and “personality” I see a little of it in the C6. It has the flat back end with round tail lights and the rubber nose. It just needs those crome bumpers in back. I appreciate your comments on my 79 if I could fix what little it needs I would. Somedays I still drive it to the beach and just park and sit in it, and hey the clock works!
I wish it was just non owners as its sad to me some tacos lack kinship and camradriee of v3 ownership.

My comment was about the division of the c3 run,
There is an aire of elitism with some 68 to 72 owners who believe those are the best and only c3s that count, ive seen it over and over here and other places,
Ive pondered it and cant come up with any tangable reason,
Some point out chromies are worth more, others say it has to do with hp,
I know a guy pretty darn upset his fully restored 77 wont fetch what he invested or what a base 68 to 72 will fetch and i understand why hes buttchapped,
C3s are far more judged by year than condition and that is odd to me.

I have no clue the rear vision out of a 68 to 77 coupe, its been too long abd i like convertibles, i find the best c3 look aside from topless the hard top with the slated rear glass and smoothed down flying buttresses as you called them.

I believe it all comes down to what a person wants,
I went older c3 as i gravitate to the less refined more beastly cars.
Convertible was the real must have this time and i came close to a 75.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:47 AM
Zorro O
Racer

I wish it was just non owners as its sad to me some tacos lack kinship and camradriee of v3 ownership.

My comment was about the division of the c3 run,
There is an aire of elitism with some 68 to 72 owners who believe those are the best and only c3s that count, ive seen it over and over here and other places,
Ive pondered it and cant come up with any tangable reason,
Some point out chromies are worth more, others say it has to do with hp,
I know a guy pretty darn upset his fully restored 77 wont fetch what he invested or what a base 68 to 72 will fetch and i understand why hes buttchapped,
C3s are far more judged by year than condition and that is odd to me.

I have no clue the rear vision out of a 68 to 77 coupe, its been too long abd i like convertibles, i find the best c3 look aside from topless the hard top with the slated rear glass and smoothed down flying buttresses as you called them.

I believe it all comes down to what a person wants,
I went older c3 as i gravitate to the less refined more beastly cars.
Convertible was the real must have this time and i came close to a 75.
Felt the same about a convertible this time, I bought an Atomic Orange C6 Convertible. I’m well aware of the Crome and rubber bumper debate, it’s stupid. That said it did hold the price down and make the rubber bumper cars much more affordable than they should be when I wanted one, in fact it made mine so cheap to insure and license that I can keep it just to look at Like a piece of art.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:52 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Felt the same about a convertible this time, I bought an Atomic Orange C6 Convertible. I’m well aware of the Crome and rubber bumper debate, it’s stupid. That said it did hold the price down and make the rubber bumper cars much more affordable than they should be when I wanted one, in fact it made mine so cheap to insure and license that I can keep it just to look at Like a piece of art.
I had to google c6 convertible my mind stopped around 82,
I do see the draw there, nice.

Im very OCD but do have restraints of budget,
I just find the whole c3 convertible, with hidden rag and hard top so darn cool,
When my 69 was daily driven and wearing the hard top i was amazed how many people didnt know and were blow away its a convertible,
The hard top is bulky, heavy to mess with but so worth it to me like having two cars in one.
Plus that ocd, i want all the options, t tops are fine but sorry, not a real convertible, im not dissing anything just my taste,
Just like corvette engines, never have i not seen a persons crest not drop just a little when they ask a c3 owner "big block" and they owner has to say "no, small block" .
I guess thats why in the purist world bb about doubles the value of 68 to 72s..
Old 10-25-2018, 10:14 AM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

a couple of thoughts , if you have limited mechanical ability or don't have adequate space or equipment , the cars and pieces of cars in this add would be a huge mistake. if your ultimate goal is to go to cruise ins and do the social thing with a nice car , again it would be a huge mistake as decent drivers are out there cheaper than you could resurrect one of these. on the other hand if a stock , base 350 is not your cup of tea , and you enjoy seeing a pile of parts come to life , i see a lot of potential in that pile of stuff. the 78 i am doing now started from a pretty similar pile of parts. the reason i am even doing the 78 is what is mentioned above , its going to be a big block. the 79 i resurrected is a pretty nice car but i screwed up and went small block. don't get me wrong , i'm not dissing small blocks , i just don't want one. and this conglomeration of stuff could be a pretty good starting point for a modded car. i'm not caught up in the bumper debate but what separates the c3s for me is 2 major things , big block and convertible . i have a 72 big block convertible that absolutely ruined me when it comes to base t-top cars. again i'm not trying to down anyone , this is just my opinion

Quick Reply: Craigslist jewel