Sponsored by:

Sound and Heat Interior Insulation for My 1981

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 11:49 AM
IDPaul
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound and Heat Interior Insulation for My 1981

I am weighing putting insulation under my stock carpeting throughout my interior.
Has anyone done this and which product do you feel is superior to others? Why?
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:56 PM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 299 Posts

I used Dyna Mat type stuff for the first layer. Then the foil on both sides insulation with about 3/8" of fiber material between the foil. Then new carpet. The Dyna Mat type stuff has a peal off backing and stick it to a clean floor. Then I glue the foil insulation to the Dyna mat type stuff. Then glue the carpet to the foil insulation. The glue helps the carpet follow the floor contours. I use the spray can 3M adhesive. I did my 71 front and back like this.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:36 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

I agree with 71Vert.
The positive difference in NVH is stunning when done right (clean floor for the dynamat to properly adhere - no short cuts here). The foil /bubble insulation works in perfect tandem with the dynamat, and can be bought at Home Depot. I did not glue my carpet to the insulation in order to allow the carpet to breathe (humid here in Summer) but just fine-trimmed it so that it layed neatly. Plus, it settles to conform to even the subtle C3 floor contours after a couple of warm days.
As an aside, you will notice that your old carpet was the primary source of the old car smell. I don't mind that vintage car smell, but sure didn't miss it. Be sure to use a mildew/bacteria disinfectant on the exposed, painted floorboard when your carpet is out to clean out the remnants of 40 years worth of mildew/bacteria corpses

Good luck - you're obviously already on the right track.

Dave
Old 10-24-2018, 09:23 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Dynamat is the absolute best stuff for the job. It has a couple of disadvantages, though. It's very heavy, and it's pretty expensive.

As a "dynamat alternative," I've sometimes used stick on pipe/duct insulation, specifically Frost King FV516 which is a roll 12 inches wide and 15 feet long. It seems to work as well as dynamat for quieting and for heat insulation, and it's under $20 for 15 square feet on the roll. That compares to over $4/square foot for Dynamat when you buy it in quantity (36 square feet or so). The Frost King stuff is also significantly lighter in weight than the Dynamat. That could be an issue for a sports car.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 10-24-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:53 AM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Received 436 Likes on 195 Posts

I used Dynamat. Make sure your floor is clean

Old 10-25-2018, 04:31 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I used Dynamat for the floorboard. I covered it with Dynalyner. The car is very cool in the summer and really keeps the road noise out.

Craig
Old 10-25-2018, 09:20 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Consider using Thermo Tec instead of Dynamat. It is essentially the same product at half the cost. Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To Sound and Heat Interior Insulation for My 1981

Quick Reply: Sound and Heat Interior Insulation for My 1981