Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 vette brake light problems

Old 11-12-2018, 07:54 PM
gbonsal
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 68 vette brake light problems

I hope i can finally solve this issue. I have gone through 4 brake switches only to realize that is not the source of the problem. Here is what is happening:
I installed the latest new brake switch and the brake lights worked for awhile. Then they stopped working. For the hell of it I plug the old switch and low and behold the brake lights work - only for a couple of days and then they're off. Go back to the new switch and it works' for a day , 2 or 3, then off again. This now has been going on for 2 years and I am at my wits end as to where to look for the problem. I am not a mechanic and there is no one where I live to really help me out - at least not ripping my off by charging me for an exorbitant amount of time to locate the problem. Is there a suggestion where i should start looking at? Have you ever heard of such a thing? Sure hope you can help. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:34 PM
2019GSTX
Lurker

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 568 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20

I’ve not had any luck with new replacement brake lights switches on my 68.....gave up, built a bracket and mounted a 5 buck 1969 switch instead.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:36 PM
gbonsal
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the rely. I had heard of other owners of 68s doing the same.Would you have a picture or diagram of the bracket you built? Given the fact that when I switch the switches around and they manage to work for a day or 2, you think the problem may lay in the switch itself?
Old 12-04-2018, 10:13 PM
2019GSTX
Lurker

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '19-'20

I’m not sure what the issue is with the new repro switches. After paying 75 bucks for a new one and it didn’t last I went to the 69 setup. They usually don’t take returns on electrical stuff so I just made the bracket to hold the 69 switch. My bracket is a very crude piece of metal but it works. If I was you I would purchase the switch mount I’ve shown in the secondt pic and then get the bracket that slips over the pedal to actuate the switch. I just have never gotten around to it. Mine has the plunger up against the pedal rather than the factory striker. I’ll try and get you a pic of mine tomorrow.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:17 PM
2019GSTX
Lurker

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '19-'20

On a side note, after switching to the 69 version I have not had any failure of the switch. I would think if it was a car issue the 69 style would fail as well.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:54 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

If the switch holder bracket is available, buy one. The stock 68 brake pedal does not have the hole to allow the bolt to hold the switch striker bracket in place. I brazed mine on, a delicate operation
without setting the car on fire. Lou.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:53 PM
2019GSTX
Lurker

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '19-'20

If you've changed this switch you know there is a lot of stuff in the way, at least on mine with AC ducting....no way I'm dismantling the dash to take a picture....sorry.
Heres a beer pic of the assembly with the 2 parts you need highlighted....it shouldn't be problem yo drill a hole thru the brake pedal lever to mount the striker plate....or you could just epoxy it in place if ur not comfortable drilling the arm....
These parts should be available out there, its just getting up in there and doing things by feel to get it installed. If you don't have the mounting points for the bracket then just do what i did....there is a bolt up there you can attach the bracket to, u just have to bend say a 3" piece of flat steel and drill hole for the switch. Keep in mind also that mine is a non power brake car so ur mileage and options may differ!
Good luck!!

Last edited by 2019GSTX; 12-06-2018 at 07:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gbonsal (12-07-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 68 vette brake light problems

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 68 vette brake light problems