Sponsored by:

Electric Door Lock Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 06:23 PM
platinummaker
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Electric Door Lock Conversion

Like apparently a few in this forum, I immediately had numerous problems trying to get my doors to lock/unlock on my new to me 72 coupe. After disassembly and cleaning/lubricating I was still not confident in their function. As I have not had a car without a remote locking feature for nearly 20 years, and the fact that the 72 is designated right now as a daily driver, I was motivated to put together a remote locking/unlocking system. I was able to find a system either off of ebay or Amazon, (sorry can't recall which), for $25, and was one of the easiest and rewarding things I've done so far to the Vette. The hardest part was running wire from the door to the cabin through the existing rubber tube. I bent the actuating rods in a modified U, and secured them with a piece of fuel line and hose clamp. Kind of Neanderthal, but our engineering department is almost as weak as our fabricating department. Hopefully the pictures can tell the story and help someone else moving forward.. Door panel reinstalled with no binding and fully functional. Yippeee!

Old 12-24-2018, 07:52 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,295 Likes on 3,920 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Where did you mount the actuator? Looks good so far.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:01 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Nice small remote on that one.
Low-tech solution to a high tech problem (the hose & clamp)
If you ever need to sneak another wire through the tubes, disconnect the p/w wires and tie a string to the end of them and pull them out into the kick panels, tie the new wires to them and pull everything back into the door with the string. (When I put the remote locks in mine I also ran another dedicated ground wire for the power window motors and left a string run through the tubes just-in-case...)
M

Last edited by Mooser; 12-25-2018 at 09:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Peterbuilt (12-24-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Electric Door Lock Conversion

Quick Reply: Electric Door Lock Conversion