Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 headlights

Old 12-26-2018, 06:12 AM
Dave Vincec
CF Senior Member

Default 68 headlights

Howdy all!

My bottomless pit of teething issues continues.. hot start 'just about' resolved with a new starter, new earth and wrapped header... albeit it's still a struggle to start when hot! (Need to replace main cable, but can't bring myself to do it yet!)

next problem... Took it for a 150 mile round trip in the dark.. fine... until the way home, when my standard beam lights wouldn't work!

My high beams, however, did work.. so I drove home (god knows they will not blind anyone!)

25 miles from home... high beams started to flicker and occasionally stop working briefly (Not ideal on small dark road through Forrest).. 15 miles from home, I pulled into petrol station and tried to tinker with it, hoping for a loose connection.. tried to start it again.. no lights, at all.. had to come home on a tow truck (again)

I'm guessing this is a switch failure? Have not pulled car apart yet to test... but is there anything else I should check first? (Before pulling dash apart.. again..)

thanks for thoughts!
Old 12-26-2018, 06:36 AM
Rescue Rogers
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

The light problem may just be the high beam switch going bad. I had the same issue and a new switch solved it. IF that doesnt do it I would try the llight switch itself looking for a loose wire. That switch is a pain to get to and a hassle to replace. If it has to be replaced I had good luck with Lectric Limited headlight switches.

For the hot start issue, try a 1/2" Phenolic spacer between the carb and intake. That solved my hot start issues
Old 12-26-2018, 07:32 AM
derekderek
CF Senior Member

I think hot start is slow crank, not boiled away fuel.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:11 AM
Iceaxe
CF Senior Member

I had some similar issues and replacing the floor mounted hi low dim switched solved them. The switch is cheap ($8) and is very simple to swap out.

On old Chevys just about any time I have headlight issues I swap out the floor mounted hi low switch as they have a bad habit of corroding inside.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:51 AM
Dave Vincec
CF Senior Member

ok - thanks for the steer guys..

I've ordered both switches from rockauto... more or less because I can't abide the wait if it turns out I need the dash mounted switch (I'm UK based - postage costs the earth, and takes forever!!).

With any luck, i'll only need to swap the floor mounted switch - in which case the other can go into my parts bin..
Old 12-26-2018, 08:34 PM
Peterbuilt
CF Senior Member

This test won't cost you anything and might help you to pinpoint the problem:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peterbuilt For This Useful Post:
20round (12-27-2018), Rescue Rogers (12-28-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 10:05 AM
20round
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

nicely done!!!! i am saving that!
Old 01-10-2019, 11:40 PM
Dave Vincec
CF Senior Member

Soo.. I suspect the problem has been correctly identified.. thanks for the steer gents!

next question.. where can I obtain a new plug? I can probably get it running again just swapping out the dimmer switch, but I'm not sure that plug is fit for purpose much longer

Old 01-11-2019, 12:32 AM
Dave Vincec
CF Senior Member

I've now found the part... but note that it only comes with 3 wires, one for each terminal...

I think those 2 green wires both go into the same terminal? Is that right? So I can splice them into one connection when I join them to a new plug pigtail?
thanks for confirmation!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 68 headlights

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: