Sponsored by:

Selling a car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 03:43 PM
Bigguyinmo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Selling a car.

I have a question I hope you folks can give me some advice. I have one of my cars a gentleman in New Zealand wants to purchase the price is $15,000.00 He has a broker in the USA that will handle the transfer of funds. My bank gave me the routing number and an account number that is for bank use only. (123456) so I would not need to give out my account number. His broker says they need my actual bank account number to do an electronic funds transfer. This guy is legit, I have checked him out, my bank says do not give out my account number. I agree, how are you ladies and gentlemen handling this type of transaction?
Old 01-08-2019, 04:36 PM
Redvette2
Drifting

Location: Loud, Raw and Dangerous 1968 327 4S in Southern California
Received 387 Likes on 278 Posts

If I were to do this I would set up a separate new bank account solely for this purpose. Then when he sends you $17K in funds and wants the $2K overage refunded you can have a good laugh.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:38 PM
PureJoy
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Give him my bank account #, he can send it there!!!

Sorry, l'll get my coat!
Old 01-08-2019, 04:39 PM
Miccara
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't give my account number. Make a bank draft in my name or certified cheque and courier it to me. But that's just me...
Old 01-08-2019, 04:43 PM
PureJoy
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/bank...ey-individual/
Old 01-08-2019, 04:53 PM
saffron
6th Gear

Zelle pay
Old 01-08-2019, 07:18 PM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Bigguyinmo
I have a question I hope you folks can give me some advice. I have one of my cars a gentleman in New Zealand wants to purchase the price is $15,000.00 He has a broker in the USA that will handle the transfer of funds. My bank gave me the routing number and an account number that is for bank use only. (123456) so I would not need to give out my account number. His broker says they need my actual bank account number to do an electronic funds transfer. This guy is legit, I have checked him out, my bank says do not give out my account number. I agree, how are you ladies and gentlemen handling this type of transaction?
I have done this numerous times. Go to your bank and open up a new account specifically to receive the funds. Explain to your bank what your intentions are and exactly why you are doing this. Banks have separate routing transit numbers designed specifically for wire transfers. You give the wire transfer routing number given to you by your bank along with the account number YOU set up to receive the funds. Once the funds arrive, let them sit in the account for 24 hours, after which time you can transfer them internally (online) to one of your other accounts. After the money is transferred, IMMEDIATELY close the account set up to receive the funds.

Your bank should be more than happy to assist and advise you as necessary throughout the entire process. This method is really the only safe way to accept a wire transfer without divulging your other active accounts to anyone.
The following users liked this post:
Black4speed (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 08:46 PM
Bigguyinmo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Orange76L48
I have done this numerous times. Go to your bank and open up a new account specifically to receive the funds. Explain to your bank what your intentions are and exactly why you are doing this. Banks have separate routing transit numbers designed specifically for wire transfers. You give the wire transfer routing number given to you by your bank along with the account number YOU set up to receive the funds. Once the funds arrive, let them sit in the account for 24 hours, after which time you can transfer them internally (online) to one of your other accounts. After the money is transferred, IMMEDIATELY close the account set up to receive the funds.

Your bank should be more than happy to assist and advise you as necessary throughout the entire process. This method is really the only safe way to accept a wire transfer without divulging your other active accounts to anyone.

i tried this. Because of government regulations on money laundering ( so I was told) any new account must be open for 30 days before any electronic transfers can take place. His broker in the USA refuses to talk to my bank. Strange yes. Thinking this is scam?? No he has purchased $ close to $2000.00 in new parts and had them shipped to me. I was to place the new parts in the car, when it arrived in New Zealand he would say that those parts were included with the car purchase to avoid taxes. He refuses any certified bank checks. He says he will use PayPal but I pay all fees. Not going to happen. What a mess I have gotten into.

my bank has informed me that they no longer wish to be involved in this. Interesting....

Last edited by Bigguyinmo; 01-08-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:19 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,148 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Time for a new bank. Looks like he's gonna wait for an additional 30 days.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:43 PM
MRANT212
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

Did this one time selling a jetski to Poland. One thing to be aware of is that international wires can be reversed if I recall within 10 business days. I didn’t like that since he had the jetski set up for shipping in less than ten days. I asked if he had any friends in the USA and he did. He wired the money to his friends account in California. His friend then deposited cash into my Wells Fargo account that I created. I could’ve screwed him but I’m not that type of person. He too was using a broker/shipping agent. I did have to bring the jetski to the shipping agent which was located in a large yard in Elizabeth NJ. The jetski was on a ship the following day. Hey, it worked! Guy loves the jetski too!
Old 01-09-2019, 01:04 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

I’ve sold more cars shipped to Brussels to Sweden and a half dozen countries inbetween with never any problems.
They all work the same way. The buyer retains the services of a Triple A rated shipper, pick is at my place and as the trucker is examining my car before loading and taking off to the shipping depot, I get a receipt for the electronic money transfer or certified funds. The money was already collected by the shipper so once they verify the car is what the buyer expects thy simply pay me from their account.
These shippers are too big to screw around and risk trouble over $20,000 or $30,000.
Like I said, I’ve done this many times and I never sweat it.

Rich
Old 01-09-2019, 06:36 AM
Red86Z51
Melting Slicks

Received 444 Likes on 322 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
C4 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Bikespace
Time for a new bank.

Interesting...I have never heard of a bank doing this before. I would definitely look for another financial institution to do business with. The right bank will bend over backwards to work with their customers...especially when they stand to receive a substantial deposit and you're taking all of the necessary steps and precautions to ensure the transaction is legitimate and secure.

It won't hurt to pay some visits to other banks...I would definitely recommend it. You might be pleasantly surprised what you find. Some banks really do appreciate and work with their customers, especially ones as diligent as you!

Good luck Bigguy!

Dave
Old 01-09-2019, 07:24 AM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

I’ve given buyers my checking account number and the bank routing number. They send wire transfers and they come pick up the cars. I always immediately transfer the funds out of my checking account into another account. Never had a problem.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:40 AM
PHIL 68
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You can also be scammed through paypal tell him to send monies the way you wish if he says no tell him thanks for the parts they are likely part of his smoke screen Phil
Old 01-09-2019, 09:09 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,287 Likes on 3,918 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Open a new account in a new bank. Tell the Nigerian Prince he can send the money 35 days after the new account is opened. Then you can close it immediately after the sale.

ALSO.....I have a bridge project in Las Vegas , are you interested in becoming a partner. It will be a toll bridge and you will make your investment back in 6 months, I promise. And we have a new bitcoin mine we are about to open in Alaska. Lots of bitcoin in those mountains up there.
Lol.

God luck in this situation. Hopefully it can be resolved easily

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 01-09-2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:19 AM
roberts427
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 150 Likes on 83 Posts

I sold a car where a broker was involved, I was told by the actual car owner and the broker that I needed to wire the funds to the broker. Broker would take care of everything. Owner calls me up a month after the purchase stating that he never got paid from the broker. 6 months later sheriff knocks on the door with a subpoena for court. What a mess. Broker long gone owner no cash no car. Never dealing with a broker again.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:55 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

setup an account ( existing or new) that will allow inbound wires or inbound ACH only.
all outbound wires are disabled. no one can query your account to suck money out... now or ever....

other than that, I agree, find a banker that will work with you.

Get notified of new replies

To Selling a car.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:17 PM
71 Vert LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 394 Likes on 299 Posts

That parts thing would be making my spidey senses raise up a bit. Make sure when they do a bill lading they list the included parts or he may get taxed separately for them. Also wire transfers can only be done Mon-Fri during regular business hours. And not after 4 PM on Fridays. We set up a separate account years ago for things like this. We keep a few hundred dollars in it. I've sold a half dozen cars via wire transfers and all have gone well. I would not even consider any type of bank or certified check.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:19 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,691 Likes on 2,934 Posts

I sold a boat to a guy in Canada.
He had a driver with a truck show up at my house to inspect the boat prior to taking delivery.
When the driver was satisfied he handed me cash, I signed the bill of sale, the pink slip, helped him hook up the trailer and he took delivery.
No issues, no hassles.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:01 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

I also would be leery of a pile of cash. I would rather take a certified check to the bank and have the person in the bank hand me the same pile of cash. cuz it would really suck to go to your bank and go to deposit 10 or 12 or 15 k and find out most of it is not real.

Quick Reply: Selling a car.