Notices
C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 brakes leaking

Old 01-11-2019, 07:50 PM
wblaisdell71

Default C3 brakes leaking

I have a 1972 TTop 350/270hp. About 7 years ago I completely replaced the brake system with all stainless steel parts. I also started using silicon brake fluid. The original brakes started leaking everywhere and I was told silicone fluid would not leak. In the summer of 2018 I realized that the new brake system with the silicone fluid was leaking from all four wheels. Now I want to go back to regular brake fluid. Do I need to replace all of the calipers again because they are all leaking, and how do I flush the silicon fluid out of the system.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:17 PM
Bikespace
CF Senior Member

You can rebuild the calipers yourself with a kit, if they have been previously stainless steel lined. You should replace the hoses, too. A that point, all that's left is to get the old fluid out of a few of the lines. Here's a thread that may help (not this forum).

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...brakes.629650/

Whatever you do, I'd chase it with some cheap DOT 3, then switch to whatever fluid you will ultimately use when you go to bleed the brakes properly.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:58 PM
MelWff
CF Senior Member

Silicon fluid doesnt cause the calipers to leak, I have been using it for decades without leaks. Start by disassembling one of the calipers to make sure it is really sleeved and to make sure something else isnt going on such as cocked pistons.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C3 brakes leaking

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: