Sponsored by:

Corvette Club Membership

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 12:01 PM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 85 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

We bought or Corvette in 1990, our first American (and only) car and in those days, a fairly rare “beast” in the UK. Joining the Classic Corvette Club UK was a way to meet fellow owners, learn something about Corvettes and, get to enjoy them with likeminded people. I became a local area rep and organised days out, to shows, but more interestingly on runs to places of interest, not necessarily car related. That led to Cross-Channel trips, including Le Mans (try leading 20 Corvettes through France on you first visit to The 24 Hours!).

I’m now a Lifetime Member of CCCUK, but when we moved to France we joined The Corvette Club France, (CCF) once again to meet fellow owners. CCF organises superb weekend events (3 a year) in a different part of France, which has allowed us to discover and visit much pf the country.

On our first trip to the US in 1993 I made contact with Nancy Leonhardt, of Corvettes of Southern California. That initial contact lead to many, many visits, road trips across the US with CSC, some fabulous adventures and more importantly, some lifelong friends! It’s true that in CCF there are more later cars now than our C3, but we don’t suffer from any snobbery in the club – a Corvette is a Corvette! Yes, we sometimes can’t travel quite as quickly as some of our friends, but we all get to the same destination in the end.

The truth is that virtually all our large circle of friends have resulted from our purchase of the Corvette, and our membership of various clubs. So Yes, I’d always recommend joining a club, all the members may not be your “best buddies”, and maybe not everyone shares your interest, whether that be re-building or wining and dining, but in my experience if you keep an open mind, it will enrich your Corvette enjoyment.

Last edited by Stephen Irons; 01-17-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:13 PM
rmgny44
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Fastimes
My car is a fun driver and by no means an NCRS Top Flight. I hope to some day have it judged just to learn more about it!
If your up early Saturday morning stop by Car Show on Eastern. Would love to check out your car!

Last edited by rmgny44; 01-17-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:14 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,338 Posts

I belonged to probably the largest vette club in the Northeast- Club Corvette of CT. Great people and membership when I was in there as the Tech advisor was up to about 350-400 if I recall. Yes they are a social club but are people of many backgrounds sharing a common interest in these plastic toys. I left years ago since I just didn't have the time anymore but still see some of the older members that were in at the same time at local shows.

I always wanted to have the old style wrenching get together as mentioned here. I held indepth seminars at Carlisle for years and this past Fall held a 1/2 day tech seminar on custom building at my house. Those are what I think I will do again this summer, open it up to C2-C3 guys and teach them how to build a diff, box, trailing arms, etc. Like what Lars does, only instead of having a lift I have a machine shop to show how things need to be done. Anyone around CT want to come and sit it let me know but it won't be until the temps are in the 60-70's* again!

Join a club and see for yourself, if no good you can always leave.
The following 2 users liked this post by GTR1999:
Bikespace (01-19-2019), fastimes (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 12:17 PM
brit vet
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 267 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Stephen Irons
We bought or Corvette in 1990, our first American (and only) car and in those days, a fairly rare “beast” in the UK. Joining the Classic Corvette Club UK was a way to meet fellow owners, learn something about Corvettes and, get to enjoy them with likeminded people.
Hey Stephen.

I'll get across to France one of these days..

I'm a CCCUK member also and frequent the North West region. Been a member for three years and have made many great new friends and we try to meet up as often as we can in our Vettes of course. I've taken part in a few national CCCUK events having had the cars on show at some of the largest shows in the UK. The 2018 Nationals had a huge turnout with Vettes of all types and years from the UK, Europe and even one guy that brought his C2 from the USA just for the event! There's a huge Corvette community in the UK including NCRS judges & master judges, restoration shops etc.. We have a new regional rep for the North West and we're all doing our best to support him and the best way is to get the cars out on the street.

Stuart

Last edited by brit vet; 01-17-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:45 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 464 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by GTR1999
I belonged to probably the largest vette club in the Northeast- Club Corvette of CT. Great people and membership when I was in there as the Tech advisor was up to about 350-400 if I recall. Yes they are a social club but are people of many backgrounds sharing a common interest in these plastic toys. I left years ago since I just didn't have the time anymore but still see some of the older members that were in at the same time at local shows.

I always wanted to have the old style wrenching get together as mentioned here. I held indepth seminars at Carlisle for years and this past Fall held a 1/2 day tech seminar on custom building at my house. Those are what I think I will do again this summer, open it up to C2-C3 guys and teach them how to build a diff, box, trailing arms, etc. Like what Lars does, only instead of having a lift I have a machine shop to show how things need to be done. Anyone around CT want to come and sit it let me know but it won't be until the temps are in the 60-70's* again!

Join a club and see for yourself, if no good you can always leave.
That sounds awesome! If I were local I would definitely show up for that!
Old 01-17-2019, 12:46 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rmgny44
Fastimes
My car is a fun driver and by no means an NCRS Top Flight. I hope to some day have it judged just to learn more about it!
If your up early Saturday morning stop by Car Show on Eastern. Would love to check out your car!
I will definitely stop by if I can. Saturday schedule still up in the air.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:59 PM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 199 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

Default It changed my life!

I wanted a Corvette! I had no aspirations of going to cruises, car shows or joining a Corvette club. Like so many others here on CF, I just wanted a Corvette!! That dream came true almost 22 years ago when my wife nudged me to start looking – WHAT A WOMAN!!! I got my 76 from my best friend Jim (RIP) from high school a week later!!! Shortly after that, I joined the Corvette Club of Delaware Valley because they supported several children’s charities I favored.

I only wanted a Corvette - but what I got with this club is a second family. Yes, I go to car shows, cruise nites and have run our annual car show – The Cavalcade of Corvettes. They had a diverse list of activities so it was easy to find things that you liked to do. Today, I have a ton of friends that I never would have had if I hadn’t joined. Some members are “wrenchers” and do most or all their own work like I do and others prefer to pay someone to do it. There are many different events that go on every year, drag racing, monthly breakfasts, weekend trips and even ocean cruises – to name a few.

Now, a phenomenon I have seen occur ever time a new generation of Corvette appears – a percentage of club members sell off their old Corvettes and get the newest model. It is sad but it is evolution – whether the daily driver or a new generation Corvette, we upgrade!!!

I, for one, am very much in favor of joining a Corvette Club and so glad that I did!!

The following users liked this post:
fastimes (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 01:14 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,936 Posts

I've belonged to a couple of motorcycle and car clubs over the years.
They were fun.
I've met some great people and helped club members numerous times, but I've found clubs are just not for me.
I like to explore and if I'm out for a drive and want to go see where "that road leads to" or "hey that looks like a place to stop and photograph" or, "that smells good, lets go back", then I can.
Driving with the club limits my need to just go where I what to go on a whim, explore someplace new or experience a new adventure.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:25 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
I've belonged to a couple of motorcycle and car clubs over the years.
They were fun.
I've met some great people and helped club members numerous times, but I've found clubs are just not for me.
I like to explore and if I'm out for a drive and want to go see where "that road leads to" or "hey that looks like a place to stop and photograph" or, "that smells good, lets go back", then I can.
Driving with the club limits my need to just go where I what to go on a whim, explore someplace new or experience a new adventure.
I kind of share the same feeling, although with all good intention I do look to clubs to provide some motivation to get out and explore.
Being a Lifetime National H.O.G. member and local chapter member, I found I was a bit more active with the club back in New York, when they were doing more meaningful fundraisers, toy runs, etc.
Meeting up somewhere just to have a parade of bikes ride to the local Denny's for breakfast doesn't really do it for me.
That said, I guess I'm looking for something at least a little different in a car club.

Last edited by fastimes; 01-17-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:55 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,936 Posts

I've owned seven Harleys over the years.
HOG is a great organization and does may good charity events nation wide.
Keep looking, you'll know when you find what it is you are looking for.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:03 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

We belong to the "Corvette Brotherhood"... which is a Face Book group of Corvette owners who don`t like conventional clubs, but still enjoy getting together for cook outs, rod runs, etc. We have no dues, no rules, and no officers. We have everything from C1 to C7 in the group, and we usually just meet up at the founder`s house, or sometimes at other member`s place. And this group is what was mentioned above... somebody`s tran goes out, they organize a rescue party, meet at a shop or house, yank it out and get him going again... it`s great!
Old 01-17-2019, 06:27 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,129 Likes on 733 Posts

I belong to 3 clubs here. One is NCRS. I joined the clubs for the social events. It makes it easy to take the other half to the events. She has made many friends at the events through the clubs.

I build , two of my cars are "NCRS" , the others are "drivers".

We cruse to a lot of different meets, gatherings almost every night during the summer.
It's nice to be with club members and their companions. We also enjoy going to the x-mass parties , bagel runs, Valentines day brunches, BBQ's and caravans to the wine or dinner events. It makes it better for her. Also I like driving my cars so it works out.

I do agree most club members have newer cars. But that's what it is..

My view is to have fun, and enjoy the cars and friends...

Last edited by BLUE1972; 01-17-2019 at 06:32 PM.
fastimes (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 05:45 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brit vet
Hey Stephen.

I'll get across to France one of these days..

I'm a CCCUK member also and frequent the North West region. Been a member for three years and have made many great new friends and we try to meet up as often as we can in our Vettes of course. I've taken part in a few national CCCUK events having had the cars on show at some of the largest shows in the UK. The 2018 Nationals had a huge turnout with Vettes of all types and years from the UK, Europe and even one guy that brought his C2 from the USA just for the event! There's a huge Corvette community in the UK including NCRS judges & master judges, restoration shops etc.. We have a new regional rep for the North West and we're all doing our best to support him and the best way is to get the cars out on the street.

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Great photo! Who's the lucky devil with the C7R cover? I'm always interested (read amazed) by the activities you guys up in the north get up to - us "souther-softies" didn't like the rain!

I was a founder member of the NCRS UK Chapter, but let that go when we moved here. Alas, a bit of a trek for you to any of their events I think?

And yes, we'd always welcome you over here - can you get a ferry from the East Coast to say, Belgium, to make the access easier? Some great roads to try! A "gang" from the UK is off to Fame in Holland I gather, but not us, it clashes with another event! What about the Le Mans Classic?

Old 01-18-2019, 06:32 AM
brit vet
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 267 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Stephen Irons
Hi Stuart

Great photo! Who's the lucky devil with the C7R cover? I'm always interested (read amazed) by the activities you guys up in the north get up to - us "souther-softies" didn't like the rain!

I was a founder member of the NCRS UK Chapter, but let that go when we moved here. Alas, a bit of a trek for you to any of their events I think?

And yes, we'd always welcome you over here - can you get a ferry from the East Coast to say, Belgium, to make the access easier? Some great roads to try! A "gang" from the UK is off to Fame in Holland I gather, but not us, it clashes with another event! What about the Le Mans Classic?
That's David Palmers. He lives in Florida through the Winter and here through the Summer. My LT-1 is under the brown cover

Since the Forum changed I haven't found a way to resize pics. Sorry..

Old 01-18-2019, 08:25 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I belong to a Corvette Club. Our club members have a variety of interest, and is big into auto-cross. I am not an auto crosser but there are several cruises each year which we enjoy. We have not lived in North Texas long, so the cruises give us a chance to explore the back roads and find good places to drive. Our club, like most Corvette Clubs, supports several local charities. Our membership is diverse, but most of the more active members do drive late model Corvettes to cruises and of course the auto-crosses. There are quite a few vintage cars in the club and although they are welcome at all events, you do not see too many of them in our cruises. The older cars do appear at our yearly Corvette show however. Most of our members (like myself) who own a vintage car also own a late model Vette which they drive on cruises and longer road trips. Not all of our members are over 50ish, but I would say that about 80% of them are. Many of our members have restored their vintage cars and/or actively modify their track cars.

Corvette Clubs tend to be bashed regularly on this site. Some guys will even start threads just to state how much he is against them; like it is a badge of honor or something. (I know that was not the intention of the OP in this thread, but it does happen.) In our area (DFW) there are multiple clubs that cater to different interest, so not all clubs are good for everyone. Bottom line: most clubs will allow prospective members to "try before you buy" so it cannot hurt to attend a few events to see if it is your thing or not.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:21 AM
LenWoodruff
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 93 Posts

I belong to Corvette Legends of Texas. It is a smaller club of about 135 members. We have a lot of C1-C3 Vettes in the. We do have some of the newer C4-C7 but not overwhelming.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:28 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg
This sounds like a fair question.
I've been asked several times to join a local club but decided not to. Mostly because the club has a strong base in the late model cars rather than the C2/C3's. This being the case, most of the owners don't seem to be very "hands on".
It tends to be more of a restaurant, wine tasting club.
I enjoyed car clubs years ago when meets would be held in members garages where one was overhauling his differential or installing/upgrading his engine. Or we'd meet at a car show, sometimes a bar, but NEVER at a restaurant.
I miss that kind of car club.
Greg hit the nail on the head. Too many C6s and C7s for me. The two clubs I was in were total opposites when it came to cruises. We did one cruise within the first year that I was a member of my very first club. The second had events and cruises every week. I had to drive 30 miles to get to the events but it was worth it. I had two back surgeries and had to drop out.

Craig
Greg (01-18-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Club Membership

Old 01-19-2019, 01:29 AM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by txfatboy1
I just joined the Lone Star Corvette Club so I can't give an opinion about being a member just yet. I have been in clubs in the past, and although I enjoyed it, I found I usually wasn't an exact "fit". Pretty much everything I own is modified in some way and I found most of the core group has been the numbers matching, all original type.... which is great if thats what you like. I expect to be driving my 71 within a month so this year will be the litmus test for me. I did notice that the group photos usually are populated with members that look like they could be my parents... and I'm in my 50's... LOL.
For the nominal fee (usually), if you haven't been in one, go ahead and join. You may find something that you like to do, and as said earlier, may meet some really cool people along the way. If it doesn't work out, don't renew.
I'm in Lone Stars and Legends. Come out to the Lone Star autocrosses when they start up again this spring. Lot of fun and a few older cars there.
Also, you might be interested in Corvette Legends of Tx as Len mentioned. Small club with more older cars and new ones too.
I have a 72 LT-1.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:36 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brit vet
That's David Palmers. He lives in Florida through the Winter and here through the Summer. My LT-1 is under the brown cover

Since the Forum changed I haven't found a way to resize pics. Sorry..
Ah yes! I know Dave as he has come over to Le Mans a couple of times. I remember now some one telling me he had one of those covers. ( Ithink I was saying how ludicrously expensive they are here!) Better get yourself a red cover Stuart!
Old 01-19-2019, 12:56 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by oldgto

We belong to the "Corvette Brotherhood"... which is a Face Book group of Corvette owners who don`t like conventional clubs, but still enjoy getting together for cook outs, rod runs, etc. We have no dues, no rules, and no officers. We have everything from C1 to C7 in the group, and we usually just meet up at the founder`s house, or sometimes at other member`s place. And this group is what was mentioned above... somebody`s tran goes out, they organize a rescue party, meet at a shop or house, yank it out and get him going again... it`s great!
Wow! That's some turn out! Most generations present!

Last edited by fastimes; 01-19-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Corvette Club Membership