C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

too much rust??? Separation of a weld on the frame??? Opinions needed!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 09:40 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21
Default too much rust??? Separation of a weld on the frame??? Opinions needed!!!!!

Hey all, I am looking at another one!!!! Yes I have looked at a few!!!! This one is quite far so I am trying to do my homework before I fly in to see it and the owner was nice enough to send me some pics. I would love your opinions as to what we are looking at here and if there is alot of rust or just normal surface scale and what is happening to the frame weld?(At least I think that is?)

So on my coupe this area has a seam but it is not open like this pic shows, is that normal???

The trailing arm pockets and the arms themselves.

Radiator support

What is the tie wrap for?? Rust at the radiator support?

Kick panel area (only have one side)

So what is the general opinion, anything serious? I guess my 72 coupe spoiled me. The frame on it had some minimal surface rust and the trailing arms were new, so comparing it to this has me slightly concerned.

Thought? Greatly appreciate!!!d Ike

Last edited by general ike; 02-22-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:39 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Frame looks like scale more than anything, some areas got some rattle can a long time ago. Not too bad I say?
Old 02-23-2019, 10:02 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Looks a little rusty but solid.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:48 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Thanks all sold yes I don't think anything is going to fail but is it advanced enough that I would need to do something about it? I was hoping to leave this one as original as possible. Also what are we looking at in the first photo, is that a weld that just looks odd or is it it a crack or separation??

Thanks again Ike

Last edited by general ike; 02-23-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:00 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

The first photo , looks kind of like frame maker missed welding that area , or a very small bead at most . Angle of your lighting doesn't help much , 3rd pic down is same area and it looks good on that one !

with the kick panel area , I would say some one has already been in there and cleaned out the rust scale and red primed the area after. Hinge mounting bolts didn't get any red paint so the door might have been completely off. Make sure you get a look at the other side and if possible from under the sill

With the cable tie at the radiator support , looks like an after market aluminium new radiator in there , so it looks to me someone has added some extra rubber (piece of old hose ?) and held it there with the cable tie to prevent rubbing metal on alloy

I would want to see the pics of all the bottom of the sill panel(s) between 2 and 3 mounts before buying any aeroplane tickets. Also what about the windscreen surround ?

Last edited by bazza77; 02-23-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:46 PM
blue427
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts

I would not touch that car with a ten foot pole,the rust is way too serious in my opinion.There does not seem to be any clean steel left.Do yourself a favor and pass on that car
Old 02-24-2019, 01:38 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

I’d want to look closely in person if I had reservations, but I’m not seeing anything yet that would cause me to run away from the car. This is why we make inspections. Do you have a frame guy/ restorer you can show the photos to rather than depending too much on various opinions?
Old 02-24-2019, 02:30 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Thanks all!! Agree nothing horrendously terrible but just more than I am used to and I trust your opinions. Clearly everyone has their own thoughts, that’s part of what makes this forum great. I guess everyone has different level of what they can tolerate when it comes down to rust.

Vettebuyer your talking to the restorer. I like to handle a lot of this myself. Therapy!! Just finished my 1972. Body on cleanup. The only thing left is part if the rear end that for some reason I didn’t completely power wash so it will need to wait for better weather. I wish a had someone, but thats what I hope I find here!!!!!

As you have pointed out there is no substitute for eyes and hands on the car but I thought I would gauge everyone’s option first.

Thanks again all !!! I will report back back if I go see the car!!

Ike

Last edited by general ike; 02-24-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:48 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

From the pictures it looks pretty solid.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:35 PM
av81
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If the price is right go for it , looks like nothing other than some labor ... some brake line stock, that would not scare me.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:23 AM
general ike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Thanks again all. I will follow up if I see the car. Greatly appreciate your opinions !!!

Ike
Old 02-26-2019, 11:13 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,295 Likes on 3,920 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

That car is in pristine shape compared to what happens in the north east salt states. Serious rust is big flashes, looks like the side view of a dagwood sandwich or obvious holes. you could leave it and it would be fine for 10 years like that in a state like Arizona. New Mexico or Texas. Up here I would knock of the surface flakes and treat it. it's no where close to serious but depending on you geographic location is what I would consider doing to it
Old 02-27-2019, 05:35 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by general ike
Thanks again all. I will follow up if I see the car. Greatly appreciate your opinions !!!

Ike
Ike,
I don't see anything in those pictures that would cause me concern visually, but there is no substitute for an inspection and being able to touch the surface with your hands and inspect it in person with your eyes.
Only you know if you are willing and able to pull the body from the frame and do the work you believe will be needed on a car you are considering.
If you want it finished already then this one may not be for you.
If you want a project car to work on then this may be exactly what you are looking for.
Bottom line is, only you know what level of work you want to perform, and how much of the work you can do yourself.
If I can help with frame information I will be glad to do so. I am currently going front to back on my own 74 now and thus far finding it to be very, very nice.
Good luck with your decision.
David Howard
AllVettes4Me
Old 02-27-2019, 05:11 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '20- '21

David and Rescue Rogers thanks for the responses. All great info.

Sadly the owner pulled of the car from the market to do some repairs that the car needed. so it may be awhile before I see it. The issue was how to determine the level of rust from pics so that you do not make a long trip for no reason to be disappointed and avoid unnecessary travel expense. I realize that until you get to see it in person the pics may make it look better or worse than it truly is.

Rescue Rogers there is more to this in my mind than just structural issue, there is an aesthetic issue. Yes I know its under the car but its still there. Having to clean up rust will alter the cars finish and originality. Now of course you can go crazy about all this but>>>>

David I know you have undertaken some serious restoration projects but what about us poor common folk. How difficult and how much mechanical talent do you need to take a body off the frame? What kind of time in man hours to take the body off and then put is back on? What kind of mechanical skills do you need basic or advanced? Thanks Ike

Get notified of new replies

To too much rust??? Separation of a weld on the frame??? Opinions needed!!!!!

Quick Reply: too much rust??? Separation of a weld on the frame??? Opinions needed!!!!!