Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, Give me the bad news. Bent frame?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 11:44 AM
wadenelson
Burning Brakes

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts

Default OK, Give me the bad news. Bent frame?

My 1968 came with a STACK of paperwork from a previous owner who had one shop do endless work on it. Usually there are 2-3 tickets for the same problem as they don't ever seemed to have gotten it right the first time. Combining the paperwork with what I've found under the hood, I'm convinced they were only marginally qualified to do anything. Especially anything electrical.

One repair ticket talks about the radiator fan hitting the shroud. What I found under the hood are alignment shims wedged between the motor mount and the engine, apparently to correct this.

So what's likely going on here? Simply a tired motor mount that needs to be replaced? Or a damaged frame that wasn't repaired correctly?

From looking @ the Ecklers parts the motor mount frame bracket is where I'm guessing the problem might lie.

I have a Goodwrench crate 350 where a 327 used to live. Does that change the mount height or length, anything?

Name:  8Ku0Myi.png
Views: 7
Size:  118.8 KB

Next time I buy a car with paperwork I'm going to borrow the paperwork and take a night to read through all of it before handing over the cash.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:05 PM
sassc3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same blocks...no changes
Old 02-24-2019, 04:24 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 7,000 Likes on 4,815 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

you could have the wrong fan. the shaft in the water pump could be off, fan shroud wrong or broken. or other things.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:38 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,648 Posts

Rumor has it, that a incorrect /aftermarket transmission mount will tilt the engine enough to cause this fan issue. Maybe a poly trans mount that is too thick or even too thin.
The following users liked this post:
wadenelson (02-24-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 12:37 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I'm guessing the shop did not realize the radiator support can be shimmed.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:40 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

But doesn't that raise or lower the nose and hood? Not just radiator and shroud?
Old 02-25-2019, 12:55 PM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Default keep the car

If you believe restoring that car is an easy ride then you are in for a rude awaking Just focus on one item at a time and try to team up with some one on this forum.Ask a lot of questions here and we do not charge you for the answers. A lot of the suppliers of parts have not all the knowledge they need because every car is different. So get all the catalogs that will be mailed to you and study them and u tube might help you to. If you are retired like me you have the time but if you are not devote a hour of your day no matter what is planned. These cars demand a lot of your time so buy your parts wisely.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:00 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

When in doubt LOOOOK. It is nigh- on impossible to completely hide a bent frame....if it was torsionally twisted....hmmm MAYBE. if it was torsionally twisted you'd have different problems.

Get the car on a lift.....get a very strong light and go over the underside carefully...compare side to side.

From your description it looks more like Bubba and his friend Billy-Joe were working on the car.... Your description describes 'mouth-breathers', NOT frame damage.

If the frame was truly damaged there would be evidence all over the body, cracks, miss-alignments, jury-rigs to body mounts and etc.

I'd look after the engine mounts and fan shroud first. Have a friend sit in the car...foot hard on the brakes (OUTSIDE,WITH PLENTY OF ROOM!) and 'rock the engine' in gear ..it should barely move.

unka-hal

Get notified of new replies

To OK, Give me the bad news. Bent frame?

Quick Reply: OK, Give me the bad news. Bent frame?