Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Power Windows

Old 03-11-2019, 12:16 AM
chazde3
CF Senior Member

Received 201 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Adding Power Windows

Alright so I scored a set of '76 power window doors a while back to swap out on my '68 project.this week I swapped out the glass for the convertible glass from my previous doors. Now I am trying to add the wiring to make everything work right. I was able to pull a wiring harness from dad's stash of parts but I have some questions.

Here's what I have:

Overall picture

Relay

Pink and black wire

Orange and black wire

I'm having some issues finding good wiring diagrams that I can actually comprehend. I'm not sure where the pink and black wire connects to. I think the orange and black gets plugged into the fuse box. My last issue is that I thought that the harness should have power brought in through the firewall from a breaker on the firewall, but I can't figure out how that would be wired with what I have here.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:38 AM
Rescue Rogers
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 826 Likes on 733 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Old 03-11-2019, 10:45 AM
F22
CF Senior Member

Received 174 Likes on 147 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, the bright metal box in the 2nd pic is the relay for the power windows and attaches on top of the trans tunnel, right by the shifter. The one funny looking connector with the triangular 'ears' shape, not far from that bright metal box, right in the middle of the first pic is the connector to the power window switch that is located on the hand brake console. You're missing one of the connectors, because the wires are cut and you're going to have to source another one to splice in there.

The orange and black end on the left, plugs into the fuse box. You can tell that, because how close it is, to the rubber frame-to-door wire protector (or whatever you want to call it, it covers the wires between the frame and the driver door). On the right of the top pic, the long blue/brown wire set, I believe that goes out to the passenger door motor. I can take some pics tonight or have some pics of mine, as it's disassembled right now and all of the trans tunnel is visible.

Last edited by F22; 03-11-2019 at 10:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Peterbuilt (03-12-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 12:51 PM
chazde3
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers View Post
I didn't have any diagram show up with that link, but I tend to have issues viewing things on Willcox for some reason.

I found this diagram supposedly for a 1974 and it seems to help some:

Because I am hooking up to a 1968 wiring harness I don't think things hook up the exact same as shown. I am pretty sure I need to now hook up the 20ga pink and black with to the IGN spade on the fuse box and run the 12ga orange and black wire into the engine bay to a 30amp breaker with a wire running from the breaker to the horn relay.

Does that plan sound correct to anyone out on the forum?

Originally Posted by F22 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the bright metal box in the 2nd pic is the relay for the power windows and attaches on top of the trans tunnel, right by the shifter. The one funny looking connector with the triangular 'ears' shape, not far from that bright metal box, right in the middle of the first pic is the connector to the power window switch that is located on the hand brake console. You're missing one of the connectors, because the wires are cut and you're going to have to source another one to splice in there.

The orange and black end on the left, plugs into the fuse box. You can tell that, because how close it is, to the rubber frame-to-door wire protector (or whatever you want to call it, it covers the wires between the frame and the driver door). On the right of the top pic, the long blue/brown wire set, I believe that goes out to the passenger door motor. I can take some pics tonight or have some pics of mine, as it's disassembled right now and all of the trans tunnel is visible.
I addressed the orange/black wire above. I have plenty of of switch connectors and will fix that on that is missing.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:51 PM
Rescue Rogers
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 826 Likes on 733 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

This is from the link
F22 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 02:15 PM
Barry's70LT1
CF Senior Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

This may help, it's for a '70, should be close.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:08 PM
Richard454
CF Senior Member

Received 828 Likes on 647 Posts

Or- you can "upgrade" with relays- eliminate issues with inferior Chinese junk switches- AND not have to route wires to the engine compartment.

(4) Bosch 5 pin (SPDT) relays - Can get power directly from the battery and one wire ignition switched wire from several sources (fusebox is the easiest))- as this wire pulls very little power. Oh - and the windows will be faster!!!

Rescue Rogers (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 10:29 PM
brent319
CF Senior Member

Received 82 Likes on 75 Posts

does there need to be a jumper from 06 to 87a to send a neg to the motor? It has been a while since I converted mine to relays so I could've forgotten how that all works.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:29 AM
Richard454
CF Senior Member

Hey Brent-

The OEM motors have three wires- so no need to ground the NC side. Aftermarket or 2 wire (newer OEM) motors you would.

Oh -I should have labeled rather than "fused" - should have said circuit breaker. So if somebody or something holds down the switch- it'll reset rather than blow a fuse.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:17 AM
brent319
CF Senior Member

Received 82 Likes on 75 Posts

DOH! That's right. Thanks. I was thinking it needed to reverse polarity but it does not. Like I said it has been a while since I did those. :-)
Old 03-12-2019, 02:58 PM
chazde3
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Richard454 View Post
Hey Brent-

The OEM motors have three wires- so no need to ground the NC side. Aftermarket or 2 wire (newer OEM) motors you would.

Oh -I should have labeled rather than "fused" - should have said circuit breaker. So if somebody or something holds down the switch- it'll reset rather than blow a fuse.
Ok so if I went with this setup you posted, I would still need to run the power from the battery through a 30amp breaker on the way to the relays correct? And the existing pink 12ga wire that normally ran to the old relay would run to the ign spade on the fuse box correct?
Old 03-12-2019, 03:57 PM
Richard454
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by chazde3 View Post
Ok so if I went with this setup you posted, I would still need to run the power from the battery through a 30amp breaker on the way to the relays correct? And the existing pink 12ga wire that normally ran to the old relay would run to the ign spade on the fuse box correct?
Yep- here's a corrected diagram- However- the wire for the ignition can be a small gauge wire 16-18 GU and fuse at 5A

And this will work-for the circuit breaker-

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Richard454; 03-12-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:47 PM
68/BB
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

This may or may not be helpful but since my door cards are off of my 68 and I have just replaced my power windows and harnesses I will throw in a photo for reference. Sometimes a picture can help clarify things....

Last edited by 68/BB; 03-13-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding Power Windows

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: