C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone market overseas?

Old 03-18-2019, 06:08 PM
vettebuyer6369

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven_Belgium View Post
My friend Ron this weekend went to check a 1989 C4 for me. He clearly informed the seller upfront that the buyer ( me ) lives in Europe and was willing to pay via bank transfer if the inspection was to be OK . Seller initially agreed but now suddenly only wants ďcash in handĒ , which is of course impossible for me.
Some sellers seem to be very scared of doing business with an overseas buyer , although there is no risk for them.
Anyway , sooner or later I find somewhere a nice C4 😉
Not sure what the risk is for the seller. Inspect all you like, when the car is paid for, confirmed by my bank, then it gets shipped. End of story.

Cant imagine you would have trouble buying a C4. The most devalued Corvettes of all, very difficult to sell. You should find a great one for short money.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:23 AM
Steven_Belgium
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by vettebuyer6369 View Post
Not sure what the risk is for the seller. Inspect all you like, when the car is paid for, confirmed by my bank, then it gets shipped. End of story.

Cant imagine you would have trouble buying a C4. The most devalued Corvettes of all, very difficult to sell. You should find a great one for short money.
Me neither I see a risk for the seller , but obviously the owner of the Vette thought differently .
Tax on importcars in Belgium is really high , unless you import a +30 years old car, so Iím looking ideally for a 1989 , manual 6 speed coupe. Having to buy it unseen , is not that easy and you will probably find out ( when you try to sell your Vette in Europe ) that this is a major concern for an overseas buyer.....
Anyway , If you want to sell yours in Europe , let me know as I can advertise it for you here.
Greets ,
Steven
Old 03-20-2019, 10:26 AM
jrs 427
CF Senior Member

In the early 90s I sold an Ď81 convertible conversion to an Asian guy from DC who apparently was shipping it to Japan. It was in a magazine the month before and sold well. People were more ďJapan sensitiveĒ back then and I actually took a bunch of grief from some flag wavers in my Corvette club. Now, while I am a strong US and military supporter and proudly fly my US and Police flags in front of my house, it seems I could not get any of these complainers to cough up the amount of money being paid for this car to allow me to sell it locally.

It seemed quite easy to be cavalier about where a sale was being made when it wasnít their money.
Never figured you for " Banker ". Thought you were an enthusiast like many of us. I know of 7 early examples that will not leave my hands for a port. Not impressed by a " few more dollars ".

If I may ask, which military branch ? I was a Marine , mid sixties , infantry, seeing the world, one stop on the east side.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:14 AM
joewill
CF Senior Member

acquisition costs to get a car from one country to another and put it on the road ( either into or out of the states) are sky high and one would hope to find a buyer that has that extra 10+ grand that it will take to buy a 40 grand car and subsequently pay 50+ grand for a 40 grand car...
that is the issue.. finding a buyer that will do that.
but by marketing to the entire world, you may indeed find that buyer.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:33 PM
vettebuyer6369

Originally Posted by jrs 427 View Post
Never figured you for " Banker ". Thought you were an enthusiast like many of us. I know of 7 early examples that will not leave my hands for a port. Not impressed by a " few more dollars ".

If I may ask, which military branch ? I was a Marine , mid sixties , infantry, seeing the world, one stop on the east side.
Where did I say I served in the military?

And I know ďbankerĒ is your favorite word, although Iíve never understood what it means. Selling an Ď81 to a guy from Japan doesnít make me less of an enthusiast, nor do I need to explain that decision to anyone.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:19 PM
general ike
CF Senior Member

2017 C3 of the Year Finalist

Last time I looked, in hits country, you are allowed to dispose of your property any way you want to. I think you still have a right to do that and if I were you I would try to get the most I can for it. If that meant selling it overseas, so be it. (my post above was sarcastic, just in case some of you did not get it!!)

As stated if someone wants it to stay here go ahead and buy it. I can't be more simple then that. With regards to promoting the hobby, expanding its exposure is always a good thing and if that means overseas so be it. I am pretty sure Harley overseas sales is a intricate part of its current survival.

I also agree with above that selling abroad, much like buying a car across the country adds a certain amount of expense that then tends to make a good deal not so. I have been looking for a few months and will only consider a car that's far away if the seller is willing to work with me, the car is unique and is in a good price range. Travel to see it and then transporting it back will add a decent amount to the overall cost so it has to be a consideration. I would imagine that overseas adds an even greater expense to the car but then again, local purchases are probably few.

The only issue I have and I don't want to sidetrack this thread, is people parting out salvageable cars. and restomoding original cars. Why do it, there are plenty of no original cars to mod.

Unless something has changed it yours you payed for it, do with it what you want!!! Ike

Last edited by general ike; 03-20-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:59 AM
Fredric Björnefält
CF Member

C1,,C2 and C3 corvettes is very popular in Scandinavia Here in Sweden you pay about 50-60k for a DECENT 70 LS5 or 427. A small block fetching from 25-40k When it comes to c2 coupes youíll end up paying about 65k for a unloved survivor... a C1 in good contidtion starts at around 80k
Old 03-21-2019, 12:53 PM
vettebuyer6369

Originally Posted by Fredric Björnefält View Post
C1,,C2 and C3 corvettes is very popular in Scandinavia Here in Sweden you pay about 50-60k for a DECENT 70 LS5 or 427. A small block fetching from 25-40k When it comes to c2 coupes you’ll end up paying about 65k for a unloved survivor... a C1 in good contidtion starts at around 80k
Fredric, have you been to the “Power Big Meet?”

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 03-21-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:23 PM
Fredric Björnefält
CF Member

Fredric, have you been to the ďPower Big Meet?Ē

Actually Iíve not ! Feels like Iím the only one who havenít been there. Have you ?
Old 03-21-2019, 07:08 PM
vettebuyer6369

Originally Posted by Fredric Björnefält View Post
Actually Iíve not ! Feels like Iím the only one who havenít been there. Have you ?
Yes, my wife and I went over to Sweden in 2017 just to see it. It was massive! What a huge collection of US car enthusiasts. They really knew how to enjoy themselves.

The last picture was taken out of the window of our rental car driving back... this guy had some bizarre bike/living room contraption he drove there, parked by the side of the road in a field and watched all the cars go by, drinking and waving.

Ya gotta go.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:35 PM
c3_dk
CF Senior Member

Yes, my wife and I went over to Sweden in 2017 just to see it. It was massive! What a huge collection of US car enthusiasts. They really knew how to enjoy themselves.

The last picture was taken out of the window of our rental car driving back... this guy had some bizarre bike/living room contraption he drove there, parked by the side of the road in a field and watched all the cars go by, drinking and waving.

Ya gotta go.
Welcome to Scandinavia :- )
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
Tonio
CF Senior Member

i just sold my '71 LT-1 to a fellow in Germany. He contacted me through Facebook after seeing some photos of my car on there. Yada yada yada, the car is now on it's way to Germany. Hate to see it leave the country, but U.S. buyers seem more concerned with serial numbers on hose clamps.
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM
Dale427
CF Senior Member

I know several prominent Vette dealers who market overseas - spoke to one who claimed most of his sales were going overseas. That said, seems Europeans and Australians are paying top dollar for driver-quality cars while Americans expect no-excuse perfect cars for a bag of nickels.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: