Sponsored by:

Noob question about OEM scissor jack

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 03:10 PM
theweeb
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Noob question about OEM scissor jack

Uncovered my 1968 jack, stamp shows it is the correct OEM one. Do I clean the rust and respray it to make it look like new, or do I keep it in its original "survivor" condition?
Old 04-14-2019, 03:45 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 664 Likes on 473 Posts

If the rest of the car is a survivor, you leave the jack alone. If paint, interior, underhood has been spruced up/updated/modified, you restore the jack.
The following users liked this post:
theweeb (04-15-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 04:50 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

First, if there's any chance it'll get roadside use, I'd service it to ensure it'll extend-retract reliably.

If you're hung-up on conserving "survivor rust" .... maybe wire brush most of and then spritz jack overall with flat or semi-gloss clear?

Not certain, but OE black was likely applied via an "e-coat" process.
The following users liked this post:
theweeb (04-15-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 05:41 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

If it were me I would at least wire brush that rust and oil it up. I bought my 68 in 1985 ( 17). Found my original jack in 2005. About the same condition. I had no idea it was there under the tray and buried in mouse nests ( this was pre -restoration). I cleaned it up and sprayed it. The original paint on these jacks was horrible anyway. Nice find. 67-68 jacks are pricey.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:02 AM
theweeb
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by avalonjohn
If it were me I would at least wire brush that rust and oil it up. I bought my 68 in 1985 ( 17). Found my original jack in 2005. About the same condition. I had no idea it was there under the tray and buried in mouse nests ( this was pre -restoration). I cleaned it up and sprayed it. The original paint on these jacks was horrible anyway. Nice find. 67-68 jacks are pricey.
Yeah, saw them on eBay for $650 with the rust! I likewise found this by accident, had to pull the bin frame and center bin to get to the bolt that holds the parking brake console, removed the one on the side as well and found it. The 'vette is not a survivor by any means, headers, side pipes, poor respray, chrome valve covers and even a chrome dipstick handle - remember when we are all doing that in the '70s?

I am going to clean the rust and give it a spray (oil, black, or maybe a light coat of clear to prevent more rust), replace the ratty insulation with something cleaner and more effective (suggestions welcome) and get two new bins, as the OEM ones are badly deteriorated.

Get notified of new replies

To Noob question about OEM scissor jack

Quick Reply: Noob question about OEM scissor jack