NCRS Judging

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 07:09 PM
pats67copo
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Default NCRS Judging

Hi,
I have a 1972 Coupe that I purchased from original owner and was thinking of getting it judged but I'm not sure of the different classes of judging, where the judging is done, how to go about getting it judged and the benefits or draw backs of getting it judged.
If anyone can help I would appreciate it
Pat
Old 05-07-2019, 08:32 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,995 Likes on 4,811 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

there are two type of judging now. the original flight judging and the new concourse class. flight judging is based on originality with high standards on numbers and configuration off all the parts of the car. the other is new and I think is judged based on the condition pf the car and how nice it is.
The following users liked this post:
pats67copo (05-08-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 09:29 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 664 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
there are two type of judging now. the original flight judging and the new concourse class. flight judging is based on originality with high standards on numbers and configuration off all the parts of the car. the other is new and I think is judged based on the condition pf the car and how nice it is.
There are three types of judging:
flight judging as mentioned
concours judging, as mentioned
and bowtie judging, which is “is this the part, with the same finish, that it left the factory with?” If you bought yours from the original owner and he kept it unmodified, that might be what you would want to pursue. There are many less bowtie cars than top flight cars. I would encourage you not to do anything beyond cleaning with mild soap and water until you get to know your car a lot better. I am sending you a pm also.
pats67copo (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 06:45 AM
jaxlt1
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 63 Posts

Default NCRS Judging

Pat. First, you must be a current NCRS member to have your car judged. Going through he preparation of having your car judged is a very rewarding experience. I recommend that you join NCRS and then purchase the CorvetteTechnical Information Manual (TIMJG) 1970-1972 and Corvette Judging Reference Manual. Join a local NCRS Chapter and get some input from the members. I have Top Flight'ed a few cars and it is a great experience. You will learn so much more about your car while going through the pre-judging process. I also have a 72 which has been Flight Judged and would be glad to answer any question you may have.
pats67copo (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 06:49 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by pats67copo
...thinking of getting it judged but I'm not sure of the different classes of judging, where the judging is done, how to go about getting it judged...If anyone can help I would appreciate it...
https://www.ncrs.org/
pats67copo (05-08-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 10:45 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

There are no drawbacks to getting it judged. Just because it was bought from the origional owner doesn't mean that all the parts are still origional because over time many things wear out or were changed. Very few replacement parts were the same as the factory installed ones. Join the NCRS & get the restoration guide to se what parts are not origional. GOOD LUCK. It's a great hobby.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:41 PM
pats67copo
Pro

Thanks for the info
Old 06-17-2019, 03:11 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

What do you mean by "compete"? In NCRS Flight judging, you don't compete against other cars. Your car is judged for its originality and condition. You can win a Top Flight with a replacement engine and a few other non-original parts. I did it. By the skin of my teeth. But it's very do-able. NCRS also now has a new class where condition is paramount and originality is not judged. You can compete at your local car show for awards. They won't care so much about originality. If you're into competing, you can game your local car shows and fill your garage with trophies, if you want.

It's your car. You should restore it as you see fit. For me, I wanted to restore my car to original in most instances. For instance, I knew radial tires would get marked down. But I didn't care. But in other instances, I wanted those little stupid nuts and bolts items correct. It pleases me to look at a part and know that it is what Chevrolet installed on my car in December 1961. I also wanted to know what was correct so I could decide whether to spend the time and money to get the correct one or not.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:02 PM
pats67copo
Pro

Hi,
Thanks for the reply I miss worded what I meant I know you don't compete against other cars I meant compete as to the judging process
My car is very original as far as motor transmission rear paint interior and right now everything works except the wipers which I'm looking into
My cars not original as far as AC compressor ( I have original) tires calipers exhaust shifter has replacement (I have original) so I'm trying to decide if I should try to go thru the process or not and if so which area to attempt

Pat
Old 06-18-2019, 04:12 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 717 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by pats67copo
My car is very original as far as motor transmission rear paint interior and right now everything works except the wipers which I'm looking into
Florida has a very active NCRS chapter and a very knowledgable group of owners. Why not just run it through the chapter meet, meet some new people while learning how best to proceed. Wipers not working would fall into the operations check and could be motor related or electrical.
My cars not original as far as AC compressor ( I have original) tires, calipers, and exhaust shifter has a replacement (I have original) so I'm trying to decide if I should try to go thru the process or not and if so which area to attempt
Again, a chapter meet you can explore best how to proceed. Calipers would probably pass unless there is no black paint on them, tires are always a challenge and warrant a standard deduction. Florida also hosts a regional meet in February where the level of exposure and judging gets more attention. Use the chapter meet to learn what to do, do your work, then plan to bring it to the regional in 2020 and enjoy the car in the interim!

Get notified of new replies

To NCRS Judging

Quick Reply: NCRS Judging