Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

77 hood insulation

Old 05-30-2019, 01:23 PM
vincethome
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 77 hood insulation

Is the hood insulation really necessary?
Old 05-30-2019, 01:45 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

No. It's job is to muffle engine noise.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:45 AM
DaGuvner
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My understanding was if an engine fire occurred the plastic retainers would melt, the insulation blanket will drop and smother out the fire. Also sound deadening.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:56 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

The blanket is a insulator from sound and backfiring of carb which will melt paint on hood!
Old 05-31-2019, 09:46 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,111 Likes on 1,622 Posts

My understanding was if an engine fire occurred the plastic retainers would melt, the insulation blanket will drop and add to the fire.
(those retainers were steel on mine) I have seen pictures where the blanket burns quite nicely.

Customers testing driving C3 back in the 70s said; nice car, but too much engine noise. Dealer says: "its a sports car not a Caddy". So, more brainy ideas on the chalk- board included a sound deadener for the engine bay. "We can't sell a sports car that has a noisy engine", says the corporate brass with horned-rimmed glasses, white shirt, bow tie and a plastic pocket saver with two sharp pencils, one pen and one dull pencil. (special effects added by author)

What that blanket did, was reduce noise, but at the added cost of not allowing an unusual amount of C3 heat to escape through the hood. After all, if you want to keep something warm, you add a blanket, right?

Rip all that shet out of there. You will never be sorry!

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 05-31-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:47 AM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Save it if you can. No one makes a correctly molded aftermarket hood insulation for the '77.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:47 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fake
The blanket is a insulator from sound and backfiring of carb which will melt paint on hood!
Where is the air cleaner?
Old 05-31-2019, 03:59 PM
vincethome
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
My understanding was if an engine fire occurred the plastic retainers would melt, the insulation blanket will drop and add to the fire.
(those retainers were steel on mine) I have seen pictures where the blanket burns quite nicely.

Customers testing driving C3 back in the 70s said; nice car, but too much engine noise. Dealer says: "its a sports car not a Caddy". So, more brainy ideas on the chalk- board included a sound deadener for the engine bay. "We can't sell a sports car that has a noisy engine", says the corporate brass with horned-rimmed glasses, white shirt, bow tie and a plastic pocket saver with two sharp pencils, one pen and one dull pencil. (special effects added by author)

What that blanket did, was reduce noise, but at the added cost of not allowing an unusual amount of C3 heat to escape through the hood. After all, if you want to keep something warm, you add a blanket, right?

Rip all that shet out of there. You will never be sorry!
Answers my question! Adding headers didn't help quiet it any and it does need room to vent.
I removed a high rise hood and manifold and went back to stock. I was concerned with heat on a newly painted hood but , the air from the pulley fan and the electric fan I added blow a pretty nice breeze.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:35 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Mine has not had a hood blanket in decades and the hood paint is shinier than ever. As far as backfire through carb, better keep the air cleaner on when test & tune time.
The following users liked this post:
vincethome (05-31-2019)
Old 11-26-2023, 11:35 AM
HarleyBrian
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do the clips poke through the insulation? Or do holes need to be cut or drilled?

Get notified of new replies

To 77 hood insulation

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 77 hood insulation