C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is not original/correct in this 1969 L46 engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 08:57 AM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Tiger Joe none taken!! It has been frustrating. Way too many places on the internet now a days to list a car and for me to search. I wish the budget was unlimited. Dare I say it but do I need a second Vette!???! (Of course I do!!����)

I have increased it to some degree and have some flexibility in my budget but I need to put a cap on it for financial reasons.

You are correct that that I need a car that at a minimum the owner has tried to keep it original instead of simply keeping it running and or improved it.

I can see how easy it is after all this time to loose a lot of the original components. Need a starter? Go to the local parts store a pick one up heck they give you $5 for your broken one. Who has time to find a place to rebuild yours.

I have come close, but. a couple of autos, I am looking for a stick., a beautiful and fairly original Ontario orange, my 72 is orange, one in CA and couldn’t get it done due to distance. Some have been repainted a different color, probably the biggest issue I have encountered, I few restamps and faked trim tags. So I have had some bad luck or no good luck.

I think I can find what I am looking for under $35k but I guess it’s going to take some time, more time than I thought. I guess there is no rush so I might as well find what I want!

Here is the link to my WTB post if anyone has anything!!!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nvertible.html

Thanks again for for your assistance !!!! Ike

Last edited by general ike; 06-06-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:22 AM
ballen06
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by vettebuyer6369
Pretty sure intake manifold should be painted cast iron.

Is the VIN early enough for that coffee can?
My L46 which I bought new was painted chevrolet orange.

So nooooo .. The intake manifold should not be painted cast iron.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:54 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

I don't think he meant painted to look like cast iron. I think he meant it should be cast iron painted engine color, not aluminum left unpainted.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:48 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Tiger Joe
Ike, no disrespect meant here in my post.... i think you might only find in a car that someone has spent time preparing for judging.
It seems to me that Ike wants a car that hasn't been bubba'd, or thrown together with parts from Amazon or the corner Autozone. One that has correct code parts, and not necessarily correct date parts. Not a car that has been prepared for judging, but one that shows the owner of said car took the time and care to replace/repair parts with originality in mind. But I've been wrong more than one time, and this may be just another one of those times.

Keep posting, Ike. We're all learning a thing or two from your posts. I am. Happy hunting.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:47 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Hi Ike,

How important is originality to you vs. original-looking? A '69 optioned like this is going to have some very expensive (and rare) components. I would expect the '69 convertible with an L46 and AC to carry a pretty hefty price tag! And then even getting it back towards original would be very expensive to acquire those parts. The 61-amp alternator alone (required for L46 w/ AC) are very hard to find. Same with the correct carburetor w/ the AC solenoid. Original smog systems are a mini fortune, and radiators can be hard to acquire as well (copper w/ no overflow for this set up).
Old 06-07-2019, 03:41 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Cor66vette is correct and has put it into better words then I can. I am not looking for a 100% correct car but one that has been maintained with a eye towards originality. My requirements are hard enough to fulfill without adding a completely correct car to it. For example my 1972 has a incorrect carb, (its a later truck carb). My Vette however runs extremely well so I am not actively looking to replace it. If a correct one should come by at a good price, I would probably buy it and save it. So that is my mentality. As correct as realistically and financially possible. Carl you are once more correct!!!

With regards to the car posted, I believe, although not 100%,that the manifold is incorrect and should by GM orange like the engine block.

LeMans Pete with regard your question: "originality to you vs. original-looking?" Interesting question, I am looking for the nicest, as original as possible within my price point Vette as possible. I know that these missing parts are hard to find and usually expensive although sometime I am shocked. I am not necessarily looking for A/C although it would be nice but odd for a convertible, not necessarily looking for a L46 although I would love a upgraded engine. So it would need to be a balance of those two.

So there you have it. Again greatly appreciate all the assistance. Ike

Last edited by general ike; 06-07-2019 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: What is not original/correct in this 1969 L46 engine bay?