Sponsored by:

Help please-HEI distributor diaphragm

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 06:54 AM
cocodrillo
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help please-HEI distributor diaphragm

After trying to set my timing up I’ve found that the vacuum advance on the Delco HEI isn’t working and it looks like the diaphragm is the problem. Is this part available separately? How can I find what model/part number this might be? Thanks.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:54 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Where does the vacuum line go to, to receive manifold vacuum? (not ported)

Normally, I would say the canister is available at Summit, Jegs or even NAPA. But being a Mallory unit, it may not take the standard canister. IDK

Should be some code numbers on the inside of the dizzy, near the actuator arm.

If you have a vacuum hand pump tool, you can test the canister easy enough to make sure that is the culprit of your issues.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:55 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
…….If you have a vacuum hand pump tool, you can test the canister easy enough to make sure that is the culprit of your issues.

Beyond that, the GM canisters had a code stamped into the bracket, which indicated the amount of timing advance that the canister provided. Different car/engine combinations had different canisters. However, since GM dropped vacuum advance controls over 30 years ago, finding a GM replacement part might be next to impossible, and that would be assuming that it would work with your aftermarket distributor. There are "field adjustable" advance units available, as mentioned, from the usual "speed parts outlets", as mentioned. However, before buying one, I would also "second the motion", about verifying that your current unit isn't working properly.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:04 PM
cocodrillo
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys, managed to find one on the shelf in the UK. I didn’t think it would be so easy.

Get notified of new replies

To Help please-HEI distributor diaphragm

Quick Reply: Help please-HEI distributor diaphragm