Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing VIN number plate

Old 06-23-2019, 05:50 AM
christen
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Missing VIN number plate

Just discovered that my VIN number plate that should be located on the A pillar on a 68 model is missing. The car undergone a restoration some years ago where it was put into pieces and most likely the forgot to put it back again. Is it possible to make/obtain a copy?
Old 06-23-2019, 06:43 AM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

Sorry to hear that. How long have you had car, can you get in contact with individual you bought from, does engine, transmission match title numbers? This could be a mess, tread quietly. Mark
Old 06-23-2019, 06:48 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

is the car assembled, running and registered? if so, DO NOT GO ANYWHERE NEAR A DMV!!! Even if not tagged yet. find the Vin derivative on the trans, engine and frame. not sure if rears are vin stamped. if none match that title you could be in deep doodoo with that car.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:48 AM
christen
Intermediate

The car is imported to Norway back in 1998 and it was then inspected by the government. Further the transmission and engine should be matching number
Old 06-23-2019, 06:55 AM
christen
Intermediate

The car is registrered yes - but currently it needs repair to the a collision - so at the moment it is not running. The whole front needs replacement and it was one of the companies that was inspected it to see if it was a job that they was willing to take that discovered it. I need to find the place on on the frame where it should be stamped. Exactly where on the frame should the number be located? The frame was blasted and painted during restoration so hopefully it was not blasted away or applied to much paint over it again. Need to call the authorities on Monday to ask for an advice.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:02 AM
wer2xu
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Christen,
You said the engine/trans numbers SHOULD be matching. Have you looked to see if they actually are? There is not much reason to remove the VIN tag from the car, I am sure there are restorations that could require that kind of work..having shipped and received cars from other countries I have no idea how your car made it without the VIN tag in place. Could you post a close up photo of where the VIN tag should be? Posting photos of the engine stamp would be helpful as well.

Just google 1968 corvette frame vin location, tons of photos.

Last edited by wer2xu; 06-23-2019 at 07:04 AM. Reason: added frame vin info
Old 06-23-2019, 07:08 AM
christen
Intermediate

Need to go the workshop to check the engine. I remember that when i bought the car about 12 years ago it was said that the transmission and engine was said to be matching number. The car was taken into its single pieces and the frame was blasted and then the interior was redone. The car was transported as original to the other country and then driven home some years later.. This was missed during my inspection and not anything that I was aware of at that time unfortunately...
Old 06-23-2019, 07:19 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

I'm really surprised that was not a big red flag to customs.
Do you have any of the customs papers?
Old 06-23-2019, 07:32 AM
christen
Intermediate

When the car it was registered and hence i think they only checked the paper belonging to the car and that it matched the license plate.. When driving back there was no border control..
Old 06-23-2019, 08:05 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Get a copy of Hemmings motor news. I am sure there are companies there that will duplicate a vin tag. You have the correct number on your registration to use. It obviously has been missing for awhile now and hasen't caused you any problems. I don't think there is a big need for all the detective work.

Heres a place that does it. http://id-plates.org/chevrolet-chevy...-vin-plate.htm You will have to remove the windshield to replace it. And don't go around telling everyone that your car has no vin tag.

Last edited by 540 vette; 06-23-2019 at 08:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
christen (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 08:27 AM
christen
Intermediate

Thanks ! Will check this out!
Old 06-23-2019, 09:08 AM
christen
Intermediate

Should the pate be engraved or embossed? Prior to order would like to ensure that they get all the details correct. What about the exact width , height of the plate and letter height?
Old 06-23-2019, 09:20 AM
DB Cooper
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Is it possible that in the restoration process, the windshield frame had to be replaced with a solid one from a different car, and the donor car's VIN tag was removed, then they forgot to attach the one from the original car ?
Greg (07-04-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 09:30 AM
christen
Intermediate

No, My corvette was the only one that was at the place. However, i know that it was some corrosion there so during the repair it might have been removed during the repair. However, will buy a new plate as proposed. Just need to ensure that I get all the details correct
Old 06-23-2019, 09:35 AM
derekderek
Race Director

As i said and i must restate with all emphasis: DO NOT TALK TO THE AUTHORITIES!! Not yet. find the numbers. compare them to the numbers on your title-registration. If they do not match, you own a car that is still running around in this country or junked. and the VIN on your parts will come back to a car either stolen or with title issues like flood or salvage or repossesed and not turned in. and you do not legally own the car with those pieces if none match the title. find out what you have before you go to the authorities and find out they are confiscating your car. obviously we are all hoping the title matches engine and frame. You say the car is currently apart? But you already have paperwork and plates for the car? Then it is a tough call whether to part it out or invest the necessary time-money to get it back home with plates on it.

Last edited by derekderek; 06-23-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:41 AM
christen
Intermediate

No need to talk the authorities as 540 vette posted a link of where I can by a replacement VIN plate. Just need to ensure that the size and letters will be identical. The original VIN number i have in my registration card.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:57 AM
Michael T*
Drifting

Received 941 Likes on 428 Posts

Have you titled the vehicle or was it a bill of sale? A missing VIN tag can be taken from a wreck and put on a stolen car to “cleanse” it. I would spend the money on a Carfax to see where it has been once you ascertain the VIN it was born with. If it all appears clean, I would look into the replacement VIN tag.

Get notified of new replies

To Missing VIN number plate

Old 06-23-2019, 10:04 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Before you go too far down the path of replacing the VIN plate, please make certain that it’s missing. It isn’t in the same location as on modern cars and the shop may have missed it, especially if your windshield was damaged.

Heres a pic I found on eBay. The VIN plate is on the pillar under a piece of trim.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:04 AM
christen
Intermediate

It was inspected by the authorities when it was imported to Norway - so it is definitively not stolen :-)
Old 06-23-2019, 10:25 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Originally Posted by christen
It was inspected by the authorities when it was imported to Norway - so it is definitively not stolen :-)
i know. but they may have looked at the car, looked at the title and rubber stamped it. find out what all the numbers are yourself. then decide if you want to point out missing vin tag to the authorities. my vote is still no. not unless and until you want to sell it.
ConnecticutJunkman (06-23-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Missing VIN number plate