Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CorVolt: The 71 Restomod journey to electric

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2021, 03:44 AM
jokeitch
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

their italian example is sort of like what i'll end up doing but it'll be using high res images of the actual c3 gauge faces

Old 12-04-2021, 05:56 PM
Pegan2261
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

I was going to suggest a 97-03 Cobra Mustanf iRS because they USE to be relatively cheap, amd would take little effort to fit under a Corvette, but wow did they jump in price!! 3 K plus now when you use to be able to get them for around 1K...Got mine for 1400 rebuilt.

They can be built to 1000 plus HP and torque.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:59 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,846 Likes on 2,994 Posts

I believe the same era Ford Thunderbird used the same IRS.
You might find one at a more reasonable price.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:20 PM
Pegan2261
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
I believe the same era Ford Thunderbird used the same IRS..
Nope, the only thing they have in common is the internals of the 8.8 centersection. The T-BIRD IRS is nice but it is much bigger and heavier than the Cobra.

Cobra

T-Bird
A really cool thing, and it actually won design awards for it, is that it bolts into the solid axle version of the Mustangs control arm mounting points. Genious.
The following users liked this post:
OldCarBum (12-06-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 02:05 PM
jokeitch
Pro

Random little update, but i finally put together the little bench test wiring harness for the VCU200 and got it talking to my PC

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CXP_V1-..._web_copy_link

this opens up CAN protocol development for the gauges and sound generator, which i'll likely do first since that's low cost but gets me a lot of experience with CAN and embedded systems

the sound generator may be a whole *** job though, i'm getting tons of conflicting recommendations of what kind of system to use to generate sounds, from using a digital audio workstation (DAW) on a raspberry pi , to programming languages designed to generate sound by code alone , to complex "event scripting" languages designed to orchestrate big audio visual experiences

Pegan2261 (12-14-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 02:21 PM
jokeitch
Pro

Originally Posted by Mark G
The day will come when conditions/technology are right, owners will commonly 'resto-mod' cars from high-priced and dirty gasoline (the future mindset) to electric. Some outfit will probably even make fiberglass 'look-alike' housings which mimic the look of a Chevy 350 engine and can be slipped over the top of an electric motor to give that 'original look'.

Might not be that far off, who knows???
-
turns out you were ahead of the curve my guy, this guy is doing exactly that and i'm.....not a fan honestly
https://www.webbmotorworks.com/
The following 2 users liked this post by jokeitch:
OldCarBum (12-13-2021), Pegan2261 (12-14-2021)
Old 01-05-2022, 08:51 PM
jokeitch
Pro

well this slightly sucks
i'm attempting to do more rough battery placement and the results are....not ideal

with chevy volt modules, two packs, barely 34kwh worth, i have to pack the engine + transmission area and gas tank area and im still one block short

on the flipside i re-did the lg chem battery placement to allow for way easier chill plate design (four larger plates instead of a ton of small ones, and the positioning seems to be excellent, fits comfortable with some room to spare

but again, these lg chem bricks are getting really scarce, i could easily be supply limited more than cash limited
also, participating in this thread, wiring these things might be much more of a pain than expected

LG Chem battery dissection | Page 2 | DIY Electric Car Forums

so im hurtling towards either a battery solution that may not even fit, or one that i can't even get the batteries for

great, i think

on a more optimistic track, i'm looking into photogrammetry very seriously after finding the results of this particular guy on reddit who did exactly what im doing, scanning the engine bay to size a battery box, and his results were pretty spectacular
I 3D scanned my engine bay : E30 (reddit.com)
4CcesXg.jpg (1114×1082) (imgur.com)
z7r5Bb4.jpg (1407×1876) (imgur.com)
i'm looking into throwing together a really good photogrammetry gear set for like $1500 of used body, lense, and ring flash, and hopefully i can get a "good enough" scan of everything i need, including the components themselves
Old 01-06-2022, 08:07 AM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Received 394 Likes on 242 Posts

If you are willing to lose the space behind the seats, you can fit more in there.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:43 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

There is plenty of space where the storage compartments are behind the seats.
My question is, Do you need to configure the motor in the engine compartment or could you place the motor behind the seats and use the engine compartment and gas tank area for battery placement?
I can’t remember if you already looked at this as an option or not.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:29 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,325 Likes on 2,818 Posts

SWOOOOOOOSH.......went over my head..........
STL Zombie Hunter (08-04-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 01:33 PM
jokeitch
Pro

Originally Posted by OldCarBum

There is plenty of space where the storage compartments are behind the seats.
My question is, Do you need to configure the motor in the engine compartment or could you place the motor behind the seats and use the engine compartment and gas tank area for battery placement?
I can’t remember if you already looked at this as an option or not.
i really dont want to compromise the only (small) storage the car has. At most, i'd put the AC/DC converter and charge controller back there or something...but i'd have to drill holes through the interior for the high voltage cables to come through which is not ideal

i'm using a tesla model S large rear drive unit, which essentially replaces the differential with a 600hp motor, so i'm effectively already doing what you suggest, and using the engine bay + gas tank for batteries]

i can probably pack more batteries up front but i need an accurate engine bay scan to check tolerances, and i unfortunately may lose that cool "battery box that looks like a v8" look i was going for

Man, i gotta find some LG chem bricks!
Old 01-06-2022, 01:49 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

I think this project is really cool.
I would pack the engine bay with your batteries and ditch the idea of the foe V8 look.
Either way the engine bay would look slick.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:01 PM
jokeitch
Pro

realization from the diyev sister thread, thinking about using 12 lg chem bricks instead of 18 to save on cost, packaging complexity, and mass

some back of the napkin math on weight gain looks extremely promising
456lbs of batteries, 80lbs of cooling, 290lbs of motor (not including coolant, battery box mass, cabling or secondary bits like chargers and converters) = 826lbs when converted
575 small block chevy engine DRY, 100lbs for my TKO500 manual transmission, 100lbs of exhaust including mufflers, 156lbs for the 28lbs gas tank with a full tank of gas (not including coolant/oil mass plus fuel lines) = 931lbs stock

so they're already extremely close, within 100lbs, and i save even more weight vs a big block engine (which weighs more like 685lbs)
this 12 battery configuration is looking nicer by the second...especially if DC fast charging or my charge generator trailer idea pans out....
but even at 18 bricks, i only gain another 184-and-a-bit lbs of mass for another 16kwh of capacity which is huge, translates to another 36 miles of range at the nominal 80% capacity and 350 watt hours per mile energy consumption

this c3 might not actually be pigfat after all
Old 01-06-2022, 07:06 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

I may have asked this before... Regen?
Old 01-06-2022, 07:45 PM
jokeitch
Pro

Regen is a property of the motor and the motor controller
the tesla large drive unit does great regen, and the VCU200 motor controller is more than happy to use regen when you brake
i may need to play some games with the brake pedal though, engineering in a bit of a deadzone or initial pedal thing where if you push it a little, it engages only regen, but push it more and the mechanical brakes are engaged
Old 01-06-2022, 08:56 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,325 Likes on 2,818 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
SWOOOOOOOSH.......went over my head..........
Originally Posted by jokeitch
the tesla large drive unit does great regen, and the VCU200 motor controller is more than happy to use regen when you brake
i may need to play some games with the brake pedal though, engineering in a bit of a deadzone or initial pedal thing where if you push it a little, it engages only regen, but push it more and the mechanical brakes are engaged
Ahaaaaaa....
Old 01-06-2022, 09:50 PM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

Yes, I should have been more clear. Was actually asking if your controller supports regen. Glad to hear it does.

Get notified of new replies

To CorVolt: The 71 Restomod journey to electric

Old 01-06-2022, 10:00 PM
jokeitch
Pro

yeah the vcu200 has an almost disgustingly large feature set, I probably wont even use half of them, this is on top of it having really powerful CAN communication stuff, meaning i can add extra things on the car which can "talk" to the vcu very easily
Old 01-07-2022, 08:18 AM
DblTrbl
Burning Brakes

yeah the vcu200 has an almost disgustingly large feature set, I probably wont even use half of them, this is on top of it having really powerful CAN communication stuff, meaning i can add extra things on the car which can "talk" to the vcu very easily
I communicate with AEMnet (CANBUS) with my arduino transmission controller. Let me know if you want the code for that.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:29 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 763 Likes on 615 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

I am reminded of a vid I saw where a 66/67 chevelle BB car was converted to tesla rear drive.
Basically the guy put the bats in the area where the bb had been and claimed the same weight was achieved.
I think the builder was in Sweden?
BB went in C3's so the same could be done.

Sorry I can't remember more or names to help find the vid but he had a way to put the tesla motor in and built some kind of cradle setup.

Maybe someone say the vid and can point you in the right direction.
The guy did a real good job and overcame a lot.
Smart dude.

Quick Reply: CorVolt: The 71 Restomod journey to electric