Seeking Mech in San Diego area

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 12:22 PM
EsJ87
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking Mech in San Diego area

Hey, all you wonderful people.

Thought I would pop in here to see if there are any recommendations on trusted mechanics you take you babies to? As a lady I'm constantly afraid people are gonna jack up prices or make up fake issues w/ my car that don't actually exist just to give me a bill. (YES this has happened to me, TWICE... so shitty!)

Now now, before you go on to lecture about learning how to work on the car myself.... I've committed to learning how to check voltage for electrical problems, changing the oil and basically keeping it spiffy clean... Making sure i run the car every weekend for a nice long drive, etc. But, outside of that, I just don't have the brain for actual mechanics... I've tried!!! Reading and looking at diagrams for re-wiring, or dealing with these things makes my head hurt... and honestly might as well be in Japanese to me. I almost feel dyslexic when attempting to learn the stuff. Im more of a "learn by doing" kinda gal but I don't have the luxury of having any mechanics in my family.

So ANYWAY.... I've noticed that my alternator may be wonky - I've had a few issues now where I start the engine up and its enough to get running but none of the electrical will work and it's even shut off completely a couple of times in my drive way.... We got the battery checked and it was great! So we bought a trickle charger and that seemed to do the trick --no more dying Vette in my driveway. However, it still shows less than 13amps upon starting the vehicle, and only after I drive it for 20-30minutes does the meter show over 13...So I'm always afraid to park the car prior to this happening as I'd hate to get stranded. I want to get this figured out before it becomes a bigger (aka more expensive) issue! I just have NO IDEA who to take it to! This is my first 'old' car, so Im used to taking all my previous cars straight to the dealers.

Ideas, Suggestions? Ideally your favorite mechanic in the San Diego area? Im centrally located so I can go anywhere from downtown, la mesa, PB, Poway, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-30-2020, 02:12 PM
Nitehawk82
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Corvette Shop (4645 Ruffner St.). Larry Hofer is the owner, he really knows his stuff, and is extremely knowledgeable when it comes to diagnosing problems. It's a really small shop so plan accordingly. Your patience will be rewarded. They have a web site also. He's not cheap but, you get what you pay for. YMMV.

Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
EsJ87 (05-30-2020)

Quick Reply: Seeking Mech in San Diego area