Sponsored by:

1969/C3 TJ2 Option Fender Vent Louvers

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 11:37 PM
barefootski
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1969/C3 TJ2 Option Fender Vent Louvers

I'm curious who knows why Paragon sells "authentic/original" chrome fender vent louvers for $650 (that they tell me meet NCRS judging standards) and yet, a person can purchase reproduction inserts for about $230. I've seen the originals (on E-Bay), GM NOS (to bad there's only 2 on there, and a person needs 8 total/Left & Right sides). These originals don't look all that "special", look like a flat silver inside, and my understanding is: that the originals were made of a "pot metal". What makes the $650 originals soooooo expensive? Where is Paragon getting these "originals" and how/why are they so expensive? Are the reproductions not made of metal? Are they plastic? Does anyone here have 8 (4 left/4 right) that they're interested in selling me? I'm thinking I will never bring this 1969 Coupe up to NCRS "standards", as I know these standards can be over-the-top (as I did this many years ago w/a big block '65 car). And, I don't think the original build sheet had the TJ2 option. I just like the "look" of these chrome inserts and think they'd look cool with the Cortez Silver paint my car has. Should I just go w/the reproductions?
Old 03-31-2023, 12:21 AM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,837 Likes on 1,783 Posts

At that price?
I'd definitely go with the repros.
The following users liked this post:
carriljc (03-31-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 11:06 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by barefootski
I'm curious who knows why Paragon sells "authentic/original" chrome fender vent louvers for $650 (that they tell me meet NCRS judging standards) and yet, a person can purchase reproduction inserts for about $230. I've seen the originals (on E-Bay), GM NOS (to bad there's only 2 on there, and a person needs 8 total/Left & Right sides). These originals don't look all that "special", look like a flat silver inside, and my understanding is: that the originals were made of a "pot metal". What makes the $650 originals soooooo expensive? Where is Paragon getting these "originals" and how/why are they so expensive? Are the reproductions not made of metal? Are they plastic? Does anyone here have 8 (4 left/4 right) that they're interested in selling me? I'm thinking I will never bring this 1969 Coupe up to NCRS "standards", as I know these standards can be over-the-top (as I did this many years ago w/a big block '65 car). And, I don't think the original build sheet had the TJ2 option. I just like the "look" of these chrome inserts and think they'd look cool with the Cortez Silver paint my car has. Should I just go w/the reproductions?
I have reproductions, satisfied with them.

Old 03-31-2023, 10:22 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,712 Likes on 1,425 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I would not be surprised if the reproductions pieces are actually nicer quality....I found a full set of original NOS louvers for my 69 for around $250 here on the forum, but truthfully.....they are not the greatest. The chrome edges have small defects......just like all the emblems on the car. They could be nicer.....but that is what was normal back in the day. Sometimes I think the reproductions are actually better......look at the center gage cluster bezels.....I honestly believe repros are better. There is no reason those bezels have to sit crooked in every damn Corvette you see......like the originals. Mine will be fit better, one way or the other.
Old 04-01-2023, 12:26 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Originally Posted by barefootski
I'm curious who knows why Paragon sells "authentic/original" chrome fender vent louvers for $650 (that they tell me meet NCRS judging standards) and yet, a person can purchase reproduction inserts for about $230. I've seen the originals (on E-Bay), GM NOS (to bad there's only 2 on there, and a person needs 8 total/Left & Right sides). These originals don't look all that "special", look like a flat silver inside, and my understanding is: that the originals were made of a "pot metal". What makes the $650 originals soooooo expensive? Where is Paragon getting these "originals" and how/why are they so expensive? Are the reproductions not made of metal? Are they plastic?
The last time I checked (maybe a year or so ago) GM still had an inventory of them. The PA warehouse had something like 8 of one side and around 100 of the other. There may be stock in other warehouses too. The GM list price was around $80 dollars each, which is why Paragon wants $650 for a set. As you've seen the quality of them isn't that great either, but most cast and chrome plated GM emblems and similar parts have been of questionable quality for years. Ancient molds and well used paint masks have resulted in rough edges, flashing and shoddy paint on many of the older GM emblems and trim pieces for at least the last 30 years.

The $250 repro's are made overseas. The paint color of the repro's is off a little and the there are minor differences in the castings. The GM ones are more because they're made by union labor in the US and are subject to GM's two or three regular price increases each year, just like everything else at GM. The repro's are made in a country where the workers are paid far less, the factory doesn't have to deal with things like OSHA, ADA, EPA, etc., and are made by a company that only raises prices when their costs go up. Admittedly, I don't think GM's made them in years, but instead have old inventory that they have continually increased the price of.

Both the originals and the repro's are pot metal.

Should I just go w/the reproductions?
The repro's fit fine and look good when installed. Even side by side it's hard to tell the difference between them. Unless you're planning on NCRS Flight Judging, the repro's should be fine. How bad's the point deduction going to be if you do have the car judged, 3 or 4 out of 4500 total points?
The following users liked this post:
68V (04-05-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 10:13 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,725 Likes on 2,279 Posts

If you are planning on having the car judged by NCRS, either buy the originals or just don't put any on the car. They were an option in 1969, so you won't lose points if you don't have them. Spending that kind of dough for NOS optional vent inserts is not what I would consider to be 'wise'.
Old 04-02-2023, 03:02 PM
barefootski
Intermediate

Thank you to all of you who've responded to my post and I value your knowledge and opinions. In my initial research (as I've never seen any in person/close up), I thought they were shiny chrome throughout, but from my research, the interior of these inserts-is more of a "matte" like finish. I also thought they were a standard item and included on all cars. TJ2 option-got it. If I go with them...repos for me it is. They're expensive enough. There is a wealth of wisdom on this forum!
Old 04-02-2023, 07:06 PM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

All of the inserts are pot metal and fully chrome plated. They were the then painted with a black primer and a silver argent color coat. Only the outer rim was left unpainted. they were bolted in with rubber well nuts I think.
Old 04-03-2023, 05:14 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,712 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Whatever version you buy......for me, these pieces are THE most important feature of a 69........they become a visual focus point, and are a perfect enhancement to the simple styling beauty of the car. I have already obtainined a set of NOS inserts....and they WILL be used on my black 69.....which will look just like this: This pictures says it all......got to have them.

The following 5 users liked this post by Torqued Off:
Chagjr (05-18-2024), ernhart333 (05-04-2024), Go Vette Go (05-18-2024), JBrooke825 (04-03-2023), Tranz Zam (05-20-2024)
Old 04-03-2023, 09:52 AM
Mdbirk
Burning Brakes

Received 652 Likes on 343 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I liked them so much I have them on my 68, even though I've been given hassle about it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mdbirk:
Rescue Rogers (05-21-2024), Tranz Zam (05-20-2024)
Old 04-04-2023, 06:59 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 324 Posts

I am guessing that Paragon has the original GM dies for the inserts. Their founder, Richard Fortier, had connections to GM management and would get some of the dies if GM deemed them obsolete.

It was an extremely sad day for me at work in maintenance at an automotive parts plant to hear that GM wanted us to scrap all of the obsolete GM dies that we had. We made all of the Corvette radiator supports and I started in September,1994 and this was around 2006. We never made any 68 one year only radiator supports in my 34 years there. Lou.
Old 05-16-2024, 08:21 PM
barefootski
Intermediate

Yes...on black?! DEFINITELY!!
Old 05-16-2024, 09:51 PM
69L88
Melting Slicks

Received 1,249 Likes on 781 Posts

Anyone know what argent silver available today is a close match to the originals?
Old 05-20-2024, 02:30 PM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Most any Argent bumper or wheel paint should be close. Not the argent green used on the 69 wheels.
Old 05-20-2024, 03:26 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 408 Posts

I found Plasti-kote #1001 (Bright Silver Metal) Body Shop Paint to be a perfect color match for the louvers. But, I believe it's been discontinued or replaced. If you can find a can in stock at Auto Zone, grab it fast. It is an acrylic lacquer and lasts longer than the factory OEM paint.

My louvers....hard to notice in pic, but the edges were left chromed...

Get notified of new replies

To 1969/C3 TJ2 Option Fender Vent Louvers

Quick Reply: 1969/C3 TJ2 Option Fender Vent Louvers