Sponsored by:

A/C hose replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2023, 02:58 PM
diverrick
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default A/C hose replacement

I have a leak in my A/C hose. I have the new one on hand, but how do you reach the nuts? The one in the Right fender I cannot even see, the one up front at the condenser is also impossible to get to. what is required to get the both hose connections. Looks to me like I need to remove the hood at a minimum The right fender, I don't know what I need. I tried to get an A/C shop to do the work, but no one wants to touch it, because it is R12 as well as a show car..
Old 04-08-2023, 03:17 PM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Post 15
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-oriface.html
link to wrench in there too..
you did not say what year?
79 you can go in from bottom too..remove that plastic rubber panel
tight but doable
Old 04-08-2023, 03:41 PM
diverrick
Instructor

78 pace car
Old 04-09-2023, 10:28 AM
70s
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by diverrick
I have a leak in my A/C hose. I have the new one on hand, but how do you reach the nuts? The one in the Right fender I cannot even see, the one up front at the condenser is also impossible to get to. what is required to get the both hose connections. Looks to me like I need to remove the hood at a minimum The right fender, I don't know what I need. I tried to get an A/C shop to do the work, but no one wants to touch it, because it is R12 as well as a show car..
Put the front of the car up in the air. Remove the passenger side rocker trim and you can get to the hidden bolts for the splash shield that's under the fender. Remove the splash shield. Now you have easy access to the rubber hose line that goes to the bottom fitting on the accumulator. I used open end wrenches for that fitting (1 1/16 & 1 1/4 if memory serves). These lines are low torque fittings on aluminum with rubber o-rings for sealing so don't take much force to remove or install. Its a lot easy than it seems but can be a little fiddly. Patience.

For the other end of the manifold rubber hose that goes to the condenser that can be done with the right crow foot wrenches. Again, a little fiddly but can be done just standing there with the hood open. A deep style of crow foot makes it a lot easier because they are tall but thin.

Old 04-09-2023, 11:34 AM
diverrick
Instructor

How does the rocker trim come off?
Old 04-09-2023, 12:22 PM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,038 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by diverrick
How does the rocker trim come off?
screws on the side..phillips
Old 04-09-2023, 12:40 PM
RickM Z06
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 145 Posts

Kind of went through this tearing my 78 PC apart. Phillips screws hold the rocker trim on and then 4 bolts hold the slash pan on. Pan is steel with a rubber gasket. Look up in there and will see the AC hose connection. It's not a fun job and one I will be doing soon.
At some point my car had a hose leak and a prior owner had someone cut the bad section out and spliced in a piece. I bought a new correct hose assembly.
RickM
Old 04-09-2023, 01:12 PM
Kerschmolar
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 283 Likes on 192 Posts

Taking the hood off is fairly easy, takes minutes and gives plenty of access to the connections on the condenser; mark the hinge attachments, remove the prop and replace with a stick, loosen four bolts, get a buddy to hold one side of the hood while it’s lifted away. Witness marks and the stick in the same position line it up perfect putting it back. Access to the accumulator as stated above, but I also pulled the coolant reservoir and worked with a crowfoot wrench from above. Removing the reservoir required unmounting the compressor if the hoses are in. As per the factory manual I used the port on the accumulator for charging which required unbolting the compressor twice. For r12 use Nyloc Red on all connections for a good seal. Re-ground the blower motor while you’re in there.
Charlie

Get notified of new replies

To A/C hose replacement

Quick Reply: A/C hose replacement