Sponsored by:

Fuel pump supply (and return) rubber line problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 12:49 PM
Tech141
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Fuel pump supply (and return) rubber line problem

I was removing the Fuel Pump on my 44-year old car yesterday, and the rubber fuel lines that connect to the fuel pump inlet/return from the hard lines were SOOOOOO soft, they pretty much came apart in my hands.

Make sure you check these periodically, especially if they are the original rubber lines from the factory.

44 years was a good run for them, but waaay past time for replacement, IMO.

Have a GREAT Day, Folks!!!
The following users liked this post:
doorgunner (05-02-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 10:15 PM
Sestino
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I am replacing both of my fuel lines to my gas tank now. I had a hard time finding 3/8 diameter hose locally but I picked up some Gates brand at Napa. I was looking for 30R9 rating but I only found 30R7. The higher rated hose can withstand more pressure and is less permeable for odor. I'm surprised your original hoses didn't give out a long time ago because of the ethanol in the fuel.
Old 05-09-2024, 12:36 PM
Tech141
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts

Yeah, the condition of the hoses was a surprise as they were the worst I've ever seen.

I have a good amount of Vapor Guard Fuel Injection hose that I will use to replace the bad ones.
Old 05-09-2024, 02:51 PM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech141
I was removing the Fuel Pump on my 44-year old car yesterday, and the rubber fuel lines that connect to the fuel pump inlet/return from the hard lines were SOOOOOO soft, they pretty much came apart in my hands.

Make sure you check these periodically, especially if they are the original rubber lines from the factory.

44 years was a good run for them, but waaay past time for replacement, IMO.

Have a GREAT Day, Folks!!!
make sure you use the 'S' hose so you do not have any kinks
Old 05-10-2024, 08:07 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 780 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by interpon
That's what was going to say. The "S" hose is available, at least it was when I replaced my engine years ago.

I have a quick question while we are talking fuel pump hoses. I'm switching to Sniper 2 and have a fuel pump block off plate for my engine. I just don't look forward to removing the pump and push rod. What would happen if I just left it and it ran with no fuel and the ends capped? I would love to just leave it in place just in case the zombie apocalypses happens and I can switch back to carb and points (which I still have in my "box-O-stuff).
Old 05-10-2024, 08:19 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,666 Posts

"On Paper" as they say, it looks like an ok plan.

But we all know, probably it's not in your best interest to let the pump just go along for the ride.

Its only four bolts, I would remove pump & plate, install block-off plate.
I never removed the tire. I just used a 3/8 drive ratchet with a 12" extension.
Old 05-10-2024, 02:25 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
"On Paper" as they say, it looks like an ok plan.

But we all know, probably it's not in your best interest to let the pump just go along for the ride.

Its only four bolts, I would remove pump & plate, install block-off plate.
I never removed the tire. I just used a 3/8 drive ratchet with a 12" extension.
Ya, you're probably right and my spidy sense tells me the same thing. I've got the block-off plate so I'm ready.
HeadsU.P. (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 07:15 PM
Sestino
Intermediate

Originally Posted by interpon
My "S Hose" was just generic 30R7 3/8th Hose. It looks like it has a date code from Sept. 20 1996 so it has permanently shaped itself into an S. Glad I changed it.

Getting the hose clamps off of the steel line on top of the frame rale is challenging. I also changed the 1/4 vent hose. I'm glad I read about the small restrictor inside the hose that vents the bladder - I would have totally missed that. I cut it out of the old hose and put into the new hose.

My "S" Hose
Old 05-11-2024, 08:14 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sestino
My "S Hose" was just generic 30R7 3/8th Hose. It looks like it has a date code from Sept. 20 1996 so it has permanently shaped itself into an S. Glad I changed it.

Getting the hose clamps off of the steel line on top of the frame rale is challenging. I also changed the 1/4 vent hose. I'm glad I read about the small restrictor inside the hose that vents the bladder - I would have totally missed that. I cut it out of the old hose and put into the new hose.

My "S" Hose
I don't remember the "S" being that long. My hard line to my pump runs all the way up the frame rail right near the fuel pump and my "S" hose is only a few inches long. Was your hard line been cut or something?
Old 05-11-2024, 05:02 PM
Sestino
Intermediate

This is where my hard line ends and
My hard line ends in the correct spot on the frame rail. Both hoses are 24 inches long. The vent line is about the same. A couple more inches in length for the vent line would make the installation easier.
Old 05-11-2024, 05:23 PM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,802 Likes on 2,893 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Everyone else is talking about the S hoses at the front of the hard line to the pump. You are on the wrong end of the car.
theandies (05-12-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 11:59 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 4-vettes
Everyone else is talking about the S hoses at the front of the hard line to the pump. You are on the wrong end of the car.
That's what I was going to say after seeing his pictures. The supply hardline to the pump inlet on the right front of the frame rail is the "S" hose.

Old 05-12-2024, 03:13 PM
Sestino
Intermediate

My bad. I did not read the first post carefully and I just happened to be replacing the rear hoses this week, and because I run an MSD Atomic EFI, I don’t have a front S hose so it is not something I think about.

While the hoses at the gas tank are probably less of a fire risk, that risk is not zero, and I expect there more than a few C3 owners that have not dropped the tank and changed out these rear hoses.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel pump supply (and return) rubber line problem

Quick Reply: Fuel pump supply (and return) rubber line problem